Catholic Weddings
Options

hmmm.....i wonder how this will play out...

ok so we decided we want to have a catholic wedding. The only thing were worried about is that I already have a 3 year old daughter. We decided were going to get married at a church in the state where he lives, so he is having to do all the 'talking' on his own Frown which i feel horrible about but i have no doubts that he will handle the situation accordingly! Smile I just wish i could be there by his side to discuss our options with father...and were not even sure if he will be ok with preforming the ceremony with me already having a child....

i wonder if father would be ok with doing our classes, planning, and discussions via Skype?? Wink

Re: hmmm.....i wonder how this will play out...

• Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Ohio, but FI and I live in Colorado.  The priest in Ohio would not do the meeting over the phone.  He said he needed to meet with FI and I personally at least 1 time.  So, we had to fly out.

We were able to do our pre-cana in Colorado though at our local church.

I'd be prepared to have to make the trip to the church you're getting married in at least once.  Some priests may be more understanding, but mine would not do it over the phone.

And make sure you are honest about the fact that you have a child, etc.  As long as you're honest, you should be able to work it out.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you Catholic as well?

Regardless, it is unlikely that having a child will be an impediment to marriage. Your FI's priest may take extra steps to be assured that your marriage will not adversely affect your daughter and that you two are prepared to raise a "blended" family. 

It sounds from your OP that you and your FI live in different states. Be prepared to have to do some travel to do pre-marital classes together, even if it is just an Engaged Encounter weekend. Different priests are likely to have different policies on meeting in person/meeting on skype/meeting on the phone/etc.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The thing is, one priest/deacon is responsible for the preparedness of a couple for marriage. This particular priest/deacon does not have to be the one to witness the marriage.  We are all one church, and depending on a priest, he may witness a marriage even though he didn't do the preparations with them-- or perhaps for his own guarantee want you to do something else for the diocese or something.

It is possible to do all your prep locally, under the care of a local priest or deacon, who would then "hand over" the wedding to your desired location.
  • Options
    maggyirismaggyiris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we live in separate states and yes i am also catholic. I live in Texas, and he has been stationed in Idaho for about 6 months and is new to the parish, but he decided that he really likes the priest over there that that is where we would like to have the ceremony. He had a quick chat with him after mass the other day but the topic of my daughter didn't come up, so they have a lunch scheduled for next Sat. ill keep yall posted, and thanks again!!Smile
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married in Ohio, but live in Georgia. We had regular communication with our priest back home as well as the priest here that completed our marriage prep. This was definitely a factor in whether or not I moved to join him as we couldn't do our wedding prep from 650 miles away and didn't want to wait and wait to get married.

This is probably what the priest that will be marrying you will suggest. We still had to meet all the requirements for our home state (OH) while we were living in GA, such as the EE Weekend, etc. I would definitely talk to the priest about your situation and see what you can work out.

I know it isn't easy, but it will all work out. Congrats on your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards