Catholic Weddings
Options

Catholic invite wording when having Mass

Hello there,

I know this has been asked before, but for some reason, every time I try to use the search function, it freezes my browser...

What is the right wording for a wedding invitation when you are having a full Mass?  A google search turns up an interesting variety of answers.

Also, how would you list both sets of parents if you wanted to include both of them?  Or would you only include the bride's family if her parents are paying for food and the fiance's family is taking care of the alcohol bill?

The one I've seen the most is:

Mr. & Mrs. XYZ request the honor of your presence at the Nuptial mass at which their daughter
Jane Lynn 
and
John Paul
son of Mr. & Mrs. ABC
Will be united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
on Saturday, the eighteenth day of May, two thousand and thirteen
at two o'clock in the afternoon
Name of the Saint Catholic Church
Address
City State Zip

Does that look right?  Any wording that should be changed?  Help and suggestions greatly appreciated.  The sacrament is the most important part for both of us so we want to make sure we word it right. 

(one of the etiqutte sites had brides chiming in that they liked to use "nuptial mass" because it "sounded so cool and formal" and one mentioned how she was upset she couldn't use it because they weren't having a Mass and didn't understand why her ceremony couldn't be called a Mass...  *sigh*)

Re: Catholic invite wording when having Mass

• Options
    We did:

Together with their parents,

Erin Middle LastName
    &
    FI name

request the honour of your presence at the celebration of the Nuptial Mass where they will be united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony (or something pretty close to that, don't have a copy of the invitation right in front of me)

As long as your parents are OK with their names not being listed specifically, I think doing "together with their parents" is a good option to include everyone without being too wordy on the invitation.  That worked for us because our parents did contribute money towards the wedding, but FI and I are pretty much the hosts.

The wording that you have looks fine - except you should take out the "and" in your year - if the bride's parents are considered the hosts of the wedding.  If it's more of a combination of both sets of parents and the couple hosting, I'd suggest something like what I have above.
  • Options
    we did:

JLP and PAM request the honor of your presence at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony and the celebration of the nuptial mass

date, time, place
  • Options
    Some etiquette police object to adding people's names "just because." The wedding invitation is not a listing of "who's who." It is a formal way to invite people to an event. The reason why your  parents names would be listed, is presumably b/c they are the ones doing the inviting. Your names are listed b/c you are the ones getting married, and with that being said, there is no formal reason for the grooms parents to be listed, unless they are actually doing any inviting. (I personally don't mind the wording. We did similar, but b/c the grooms parents contributed to the wedding too, we did "Mr. and Mrs.... and Dr. and Mrs... request...")
    Anniversary
  • Options
    grooms parents names traditionally do not go on a wedding invitation.  they only go on wedding annoucements.  however, more and more people are opting to put them on the wedding invite but it isnt really proper.
  • Options
    We used the wording "together with their parents"

Our parents did contribute, but my Fiance and I are essentially hosting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Both our parents are contributing. This may be technically wrong, but our families consist of a priest, a nun and two deacons that all approved::

Mr & Mrs. Bride Parents
    and
    Mr. & Mrs. Groom's Parents
    request the honor of your presence
    at the Nuptial Mass uniting

Bride
    and
    Groom

in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
    Date
    I bolded the words that are "supposed" to be capitalized.

I will disclaim I've gotten bad advice regarding Catholicism in general, so sorry if any of this is incorrect.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mr & Mrs. Bride Parents
    and
    Mr. & Mrs. Groom's Parents
    at the Nuptial Mass uniting

the issue with this wording (while used by  many) is that hte Mass does not unite you in marriage.  the mass is said in your honor with the blessings from it bestowed upon you.  you dont need the mass to unite you in marriage, its just an additional part you can include in your ceremony.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-invite-wording-when-having-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:a03b712f-8d23-49f1-a044-93dafcbf791cPost:4e1d4502-3253-49fe-ac9b-3b23bc202059">Re: Catholic invite wording when having Mass</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mr & Mrs. Bride Parents and Mr. & Mrs. Groom's Parents request the honor of your presence at the Nuptial Mass uniting the issue with this wording (while used by  many) is that hte Mass does not unite you in marriage.  the mass is said in your honor with the blessings from it bestowed upon you.  you dont need the mass to unite you in marriage, its just an additional part you can include in your ceremony.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's exactly why I said it's technically incorrect. But we all liked and agreed on that wording because we wanted everyone to know it would be a full mass.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is what we used.  My parents are the main hosts, contributing about 70% with FIs parents contributing about 15% and me & FI making up the difference, but everyone felt the parents names should go on the invite:

Major and Mrs. A

and

Mr. and Mrs. G

at the Nuptial Mass celebrating the union of

ra

and

kg

in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    We used the wording in the OP. We opted to include my in-laws out of (modern) courtesy. Like a shout out more than anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Both sets of parents are contribuing, so we do want to include both.
    My fiance is very traditional in a lot of ways, so he does not want the "Bride and groom together with their parents" thing. 

Sort of related, I am soooooooo excited about my invites.  I found a local wedding vendor that designs and prints invites, so I've been able to get exactly what I wanted and at about $100 cheaper than the ones I wasn't too crazy about!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards