Catholic Weddings

Civily Married, Now Having Church Wedding


My husband and I had our civil marriage last year, and now we are finally getting married in the Catholic Church.  Since the church doesn't recognize our non-church wedding, it technically isn't a vow renewal or marriage blessing.

I want to invite some family members and close friends to the ceremony and then have them over our house after for BBQ and cake.  I plan on sending them invites, but I'm not sure how to word the church wedding/ceremony.  What do I call it? 


Re: Civily Married, Now Having Church Wedding

  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Assuming your church is fine with this, you'd have a convalidation ceremony. I'd call it that on the invites.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

    what you are having done is technically called a "convalidation".
    you could always do wording that indicates you are receiving your sacrament of holy matrimony which may be easier to understand than convalidation, especially for any non-catholics.

  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "... request(s) the honour of your presence at the sacrament of Holy Matrimony between N. and N....."

    or, if you are having a full mass: "...presence at the nuptial mass uniting N. and N...."
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards