Catholic Weddings
Options

RCIA

FI went to Inquiry for RCIA last night & actually liked it!! Thank God! He said he wanted to after mass Sunday, but I was so surprised when he asked when we needed to leave. Hopefully he keeps wanting to go! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: RCIA

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I pray that things continue to go well for your fi on his journey.

For me, RCIA was a truly blessed experience, but I can see how it can be challenging for others, in both spiritual and secular ways.

Don't just hope that he continues to want to go, pray that God guides his heart toward wanting to go. Have open and honest conversations with him about why he does and does not want to go, what his concerns are and what his hopes are. (I'm not saying you don't do this already -- I don't know. But if you don't, I would really, really recommend that you start.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is so exciting. I also loved RCIA when I went through it a few years ago. It was a truly rewarding experience. I am so glad I did it. Going to church every weekend with H has made our marriage stronger in the short time we have been married. I started going to church with him while we were dating and decided I needed to get back in the faith. I was baptized Catholic and went to church occassionaly, but never received the rest of the sacraments. It was such a blessing to have a full Catholic mass at our wedding. I truly felt God was there with us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been going to Mass with my FI with some frequency since we moved to the same city. RCIA here started in August and runs through Easter... I guess it's different everywhere. I'm glad some PPs liked it. I don't care for it a whole lot, personally.

I was not baptized Catholic, but went to Catholic school for 14 years. While there are lots of positives one experienced in the Catholic faith can get out of RCIA, I often find it a struggle because the classes are dry and the conversation is nonexistent. Where is the guided discussion of the subjects we are covering? It's been very disappointing overall with respect to the actual class part. Lots of talking at us and little exploration of what everyone believes/ knows/ has experienced.

Now there are three reasons that I stick with it and will make it to Confirmation at Easter:
    -It is very important to me for us to be married in the Church (he didn't ask for it to work that way, I did) so that we can grow on our spiritual journey together. Rather than having the whole which-church-do-we-go-to-this-week discussion, I think it will benefit everyone for us all to be on the same page in belief and practice.
    -I want our kids to see two parents who are unified in the message sent with respect to religion.
    -Despite the general monotony and dryness of RCIA, FI and I do take the readings and discuss them with each other after class every week, even when he doesn't go with me. If we didn't do this, I absolutely would've given up on it long ago.

Long story short, try to go to some classes with your FI to show your support. It might be stuff that you already know, but at least you can be a part of what he learns each week and have a discussion about it together on the car ride home from class!
  • Options
    rlytton87rlytton87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I went with him, & will continue to do so, never fear :) & I know what it's like, I just came into the church at Easter :) Thank you for the prayers, I go to adoration once or twice a week & have been praying for God to guide him, because really, it's all between him & God. Which is God, cause God knows a lot more than me! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards