Catholic Weddings
Options

NWR: Question about animals

Hi

I am recently Catholic, I was confirmed on Easter of 2010; so I do not have a lifetime of Catholic education to fall back on.

I recently lost one of my dogs, who are like babies to me.  She was trying to cross a street to come home to me and ran right underneath a van, it was so horrible.  I'm really struggeling with my new family unit going from four to three, and I've been wondering a lot lately about what happens to animals after death.  This was not something we discussed much in RCIA and I feel kind of silly asking the question, like someone will tell me 'she was just a dog, why are you so upset.'  But like I said, she was like my baby.

Sorry for the long and strange post.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Question about animals

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I just got confirmed this last Easter as well so I might be wrong but my FI has made comments about how the Church believes that animals don't have souls and that they are just simpley pets, thats the extent of my knowledge on the matter. Sorry not to be much help...
    Anniversary PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-question-animals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:aa7a6fda-5afe-4e3b-a3ce-bfe9d9799587Post:8f4655af-fe21-4638-8b6a-7e505c20ed42">Re: NWR: Question about animals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I just got confirmed this last Easter as well so I might be wrong but my FI has made comments about how the Church believes that animals don't have souls and that they are just simpley pets, thats the extent of my knowledge on the matter. Sorry not to be much help...
    Posted by hvcfringe[/QUOTE]

I believe that is what I was taught in RCIA as well.

Was your dog blessed at the annual blessing of the animals?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, I lived at college the first year I was catholic, and my dogs lived with my Protestant mother. The dogs and I haven't been in the same part of te state for me to take them to be blessed :( I will take the baby I have left at my next opportunity.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Didn't Teresa de Avila once concede that birds might have tiny souls?
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    From what I've found (and I am sure others can correct me), all living creatures have souls and there is mention in Scripture of animals being in heaven. Smile  The confusion is usually due to the distinction between human (spiritual and immortal) souls which face judgement and animal souls (material and mortal) which do not face judgement. Many assume this means their souls are gone forever, but in Scripture we see that God can recreate their souls in heaven for us. So they aren't lost!

Here are some references from Scripture:

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Romans 8:19 says that the lesser creatures await Christ's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.

There's some mention in Psalm 35/36 depending on which translation you use:

6 O Lord, thy mercy is in heaven, and thy truth reacheth, even to the clouds. 7 Thy justice is as the mountains of God, thy judgments are a great deep. Men and beasts thou wilt preserve, O Lord

Also: 2Ki 2:11 And as they went on, walking and talking together, behold, a fiery chariot and fiery horses parted them both asunder: and Elias went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 

And what is assumed to be a description of heaven: Isaiah 11
    6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
    the leopard will lie down with the goat,
    the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
    and a little child will lead them.

7 The cow will feed with the bear,
    their young will lie down together,
    and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,
    and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.

But, there will always be arguments that you don't need animals in heaven, because, basically being with God in heaven is the greatest gift and you will not need anything from the Earth. But, many argue that while you do not need anything of the Earth, God would still provide out of love.

• Options
    _Dagney__Dagney_ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a point of debate and contention between DH and I.
    I'm sure god's plan for heaven is perfect. But in my simple human brain, it seems that innocent animals should have their place there too.
    I'd like to think my dear dog Scarlett will be able to somehow be in heaven with me.

DH, on the other hand is adamant that animals do not have "souls."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-question-animals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:aa7a6fda-5afe-4e3b-a3ce-bfe9d9799587Post:ce760f94-52a3-40b9-8665-bcb3462fcf2c">Re: NWR: Question about animals</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for your loss. My dog is also my furbaby, so I understand. Here is a church sign debate on whether or not dog's have souls. It's fake, but it makes me laugh. <a href="http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2228641/posts" rel='nofollow'>http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2228641/posts</a>
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Ah, I know I've seen this before, but it just made my day reading it again :)
    Also disproves we Catholics as being "stuffy", haha
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was taught just what Riss said -- that animals have souls, but they are not the same as ours. I was also taught that we don't know whether they go to heaven.  I've heard of people who were taught otherwise, but I choose to believe that no one actually knows, so I don't get myself too worried :)

I always like to think that animals do go to heaven, because they are creatures of God who are without sin.  God had Adam name the animals; he made them for his companions.  And reading the quotes Riss provided, I think there's plenty of reason to believe animals could go to heaven.

If my baby cats aren't in heaven, I will be quite disappointed.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you ladies, I feel much comforted by the idea that God will care for all of his creatures even after death.  I've been doing some looking throught the Catechism and the Bible myself and I feel like my questions are answered now.  I just feel so guilty for not having her on a leash, but knowing that she has some peace eases that a bit.  Thanks for being so kind!
  • Options
    shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-question-animals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:aa7a6fda-5afe-4e3b-a3ce-bfe9d9799587Post:ce760f94-52a3-40b9-8665-bcb3462fcf2c">Re: NWR: Question about animals</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for your loss. My dog is also my furbaby, so I understand. Here is a church sign debate on whether or not dog's have souls. It's fake, but it makes me laugh. <a href="http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2228641/posts" rel='nofollow'>http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2228641/posts</a>
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to kind of but in, but that site on the church signs is hilarious. It made me laugh!! :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know, it was a nice pick-me-up, thanks for posting that cfaszews25!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't claim to be an expert on what the Church teaches, but I think animals have souls. My priest always said that heaven was a lot like here, but a million times better...perfect. What an empty place it would be without our animals...all of them. No kitties? No dogs? No deer, bobcats, swans, butterflies??? Can't imagine it.

Loved the sign debate!!! Wish it WAS real!

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards