Catholic Weddings

photo ID

my priest asked us to give him a photocopy of the ID of our best man and maid of honour. not a big deal we can do this but i thought that was a strange request. do you know why he would ask us to provide this?

Re: photo ID

• Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is incredibly weird but perhaps it's a state thing since they will be official witnesses on your marriage license.  Ask him.  
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call the probate court or the division that issues marriage licenses in the county where you are marrying and ask them this question.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    that is quite odd.  the only ones who need to be worrying about legal issues with regard to the witnesses to the marriage i would think would be the state, county or town who issues the license.
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might have to do with whatever documentation the church has to do on their own marriage records. I got a call after our wedding from the parish secretary because she couldn't read our BM and MOH signatures (their names weren't printed on the certificate, they only had to sign). Just ask the priest or another parish employee for clarification, I'm sure they could give you an explanation of why the priest is asking for the IDs.
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies. good to know i'm not the only one that thinks it's weird. my priest is fantastic and has been so helpful. it's the only strange thing he's asked for. he's very detailed about documents and paperwork so i guess he's covering all "in case" situations. i'll ask him about it. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am sure it is just so that the record of your witnesses is accurate and in our parish, one of our witnesses had to be Catholic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards