Catholic Weddings
Options

An Update

Some of you may remember my rant about the Priest I wasn't all too sure about giving us a hard time.

WELL, all is not going well. The annulment still hasn't been processed, so today I called the military diocese and they informed me that the turn around time for a lack of form annulment is only ONE DAY, yep you heard me right, ONE DAY. The only thing that is required is signed affidavits of two witnesses, so as long as the witnesses get back quick this whole thing could be done in under 2 weeks.

I called the priest with this, what I THOUGHT was good news. He said absolutely not, we have to do the annulment through the diocese here where we live (EVEN THOUGH we are not members of it - we are active duty military which makes us members of the military diocese). And I said I didn't understand what the problem was, we knew the military would be quicker and we are getting down to the end of our time to get this done (wedding in 76 days!!) and he actually said to me "Because I'm the Priest and I make the rules".

SO I hung up on him. Called FI, and told him that this was it, I've reached my absolute BREAKING point and that man is not marrying us, no matter what. I think he saw it coming, he just said we'd find someone else.

But OF COURSE, the whole reason we are still with this priest is because there is no one else. I called to double check again and the base chaplain priest where we are getting married is going to be out of the country on the day that we get married.

I guess my question is, with this much time to go should I just give up and look for a justice of the peace? That makes me start crying.

We have started attending a new church, and I really enjoy the priests there, but I don't know any of them personally other than a quick handshake and thank you after mass, should I schedule an appointment with one of them to see if they think it is too late or if maybe they can do it?

The worst part is, we could get this annulment done and over with, but because our "Priest" refuses to sign it, we can't even send it in. How ridiculous is that??

I am sorry for all the screaming, but I am freaking out and I don't understand how this man is even a priest. One kind of silver lining for me is that I know that the Bishop here has been investigating his "charity donations" so hopefully they catch him, because I know something is going on with him.

Re: An Update

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I remember your initial post about the "oddness of this priest".  IMO, his behavior was a bit more than pastoral, for lack of a better word.

In your position, I would approach one of the new priests in your new chuch and spill the whole story and ask if he can help.

Personaly, I have found military chaplins the be best and the very worst in their vocations.  I have found that going for reconcillation and smelling liqour more than a bit disturbng.  But then, you have to rememeber the circumstances they worked under.

Give the new parish priests a try.  You can't get anything worse than what you have now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with ootmother2.. talk to the new parish and see what they say.. It never hurts to ask!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd go ahead and meet with one of the new priests and explain your predicament. 

Can the base chaplain priest recommend any other priests in the area who might be able to help out? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree!!! Definitely call the priests at your new parish. I'm sure that they will be more understanding and willing to help out. Your now priest's behavior is definitely "un-priestly." WOW is all I have to say.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe how long you put up with this other priest.  There are other choices.  You need to get out there and look.  You may have to change your ceremony location but it WILL work out.  Go to every single Catholic church within half an hour of your reception and see if they will marry you.  Did you complete pre-cana already?  Did you get a certificate or anything? If you can show them you already completed it, it will be even better for you.  It doesn't matter if you sent out your invitations.  YOu can print out another quick invitation from Michael's or something telling them of the change of location if you do need to change your church.  You can find another priest but you really need to start right now calling and visiting as many churches as possible. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards