Catholic Weddings
Options

Lack of form

My priest did correct me it is not an annualment it is just a lack of form process that I have to go through.  He had told me it will only take a month should I continue with my wedding planning as he has already put us in the book for our wedding in September.  

Re: Lack of form

• Options
    I just submitted my lack of canononical form petition for nullity, too :-) My priest said it'll take about a month to process thru the marriage tribunal.  I'm no authority, but here's what I've read:

It is interesting to note that the term “annulment” is nowhere defined in the Code of Canon Law, and in fact, is never even used. The proper and more accurate term for an “annulment” is a “declaration of matrimonial nullity.” Such a declaration is granted by an ecclesiastical tribunal. Although there is not an official definition of a declaration of matrimonial nullity, it means that what appeared to be, from one or more points of view, a valid marriage, was actually not one.

Lack of Form:
    A formal case pertains to those marriages contracted following the canonical form required by all Catholics (cf. 1983 CIC 1108 & 1117). Non-Catholics are not bound to observe canonical form unless they married a baptized Catholic. However, a dispensation can be obtained by the local ordinary (bishop), which would dispense the parties from observing canonical form. Those marriages which were required to observe the canonical form, but did not for whatever reason, can be declared null by an ecclesiastical tribunal by merit of the historical facts proven by documentary evidence. No formal investigation is needed. All other marriage cases are considered “formal cases” and an investigation regarding the interior dispositions of the parties at the time of marriage contract is commenced. We will now elaborate on the main classifications of nullity cases: documentary cases and formal cases.

In the past, it would not have been necessary to even explain this type of documentary case because the laws of the Catholic Church for marriages was well known. However, the level of ignorance of these laws has dramatically grown in the last few decades. Lack of canonical form cases, as stated earlier, refer to marriages of Roman Catholics who, while bound to the canonical form of marriage, attempt marriage before a non-Catholic minister of religion or a civil magistrate or enter into a civilly recognized common law marriage. Canonical form ordinarily refers to the celebration of marriage before a duly authorized Roman Catholic clergyman and two witnesses in a Catholic Church. Lack of canonical form ordinarily invalidates the marriage of Roman Catholics unless a previous dispensation from canonical form has been granted by the proper ecclesiastical authority.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would not put any deposits down until you have a definite answer. I know several people I have talked with who thought it was lack of form, and it turns out it wasn't.

Once the priest has gone through all the info with you and told you its lack of form, most likely it is,but there is always exceptions when they get it wrong.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lack-of-form?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b0cb9290-5b8f-405b-9323-04d213c68637Post:fe6f14fa-2fa3-4b76-842b-bcfc72d4ff28">Re: Lack of form</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Carrie.  There have been a few brides on these forums talk about how the priest expected one thing and it was another.  (no offense to the priest).<strong>  I'd wait to see what the "final word" is before writing checks.</strong>
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  It is a huge pain in the butt to have to go to your vendors and hope that they are available on a new date.</div><div>
    </div><div>There's nothing wrong with scouting out reception venues and talking to florists, just don't lose any money.</div>
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards