Catholic Weddings
Options

NWR: Praying for peace

I don't post here very freqeuntly, but I'm feeling a mix of emotions this morning. The beatification of John Paul II and the death of Bin Laden all within a few hours. I'm having a hard time being happy for Bin Laden's death--I am praying for no retaliation on the US and that John Paul's message of peace is heard.  

Re: NWR: Praying for peace

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    im with you, Irish.

bin laden's death is certainly a victory, but the war is not over by any means, and our troops need our prayers now more than ever.  there are surely folks who are not to happy about this and will be targeting our troops - and civilians.
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto... I feel like there's probably just a freshly trained terrorist (or 20) waiting in the wings!  Still not sure this qualifies as just war, either :(  Hopefully this at least means that some of the troops who have been combatting in Afghanistan for many years can come home and that the ones remaining are not in armed conflict as frequently any more.
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. I pray for peace, pray for Bin Laden's soul, pray for the continued safety of our service men and women. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree.  I am finding it very hard to celebrate the death of anyone, even someone who perverted his faith to justify terrorism.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-praying-peace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b32ad050-2257-4eac-9293-0edd6d72203cPost:bb50d4f5-6e56-45a3-9df6-e24a3ba334fe">Re: NWR: Praying for peace</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agree.  I am finding it very hard to celebrate the death of anyone, even someone who perverted his faith to justify terrorism.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly how I felt last night. My husband reminded me of this from Proverbs 24:

<em>Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth</em>
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree 100% with all of you. Prayer is needed today. Riss, thank you for that verse from Proverbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    ‎"In the face of a man’s death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred." - Vatican spokesperson
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Such a difficult day of varying emotions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with you all. I just cannot celebrate, but rather pray.

Thanks to Riss and lalaith for the messages from scripture and the Vatican, respectively. They have both helped my heart this morning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I agree ladies, it's hard if not impossible to be so happy about someone's death. Thank you for the verse, it's good to know there are others who feel the same way.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2011/05/02/christians-should-not-rejoice-at-death-of-osama-bin-laden-says-vatican-spokesman/

I am so glad there are others that feel the same way!  MY FB newsfeed is sort of depressing.  It sort of grosses me out that people are celebrating a death... 

This also happened when Timothy McVay was executed. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the quotes, ladies!  I saw a former student get harangued on facebook for commenting that all the celebratory posts upset her.  I think I'll pass them along to her.  =)
    Anniversary

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't view Bin Laden's death as any sort of achievement or victory.

Most of you know that I am a WTC survivor.  Today is a day that I will just use for prayers of thanks that I was spared and double prayers for my friends who were not.

There's a hymn, something about "let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."

Because of the circumstances, it's pretty damn hard for me to say but maybe if I say it enough times, it will be true
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    a couple of good quotes i have found related to what i feel...

‎"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain

Do not gloat when your enemy falls;
    when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice,
    or the LORD will see and disapprove
    and turn his wrath away from him."
    Proverbs 24:17-18

I felt a range of emotions when I heard the news... shock, fear, relief, confusion, etc.  Praying for peace today seems the most appropriate reaction. 

"I once held a live hummingbird in my hand. I once married a Bryn Mawr girl. To a large extent they are twin experiences" -E.B White
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am glad to know others feel the same way. I can't celebrate that he is dead, although I'm glad justice has been served on one hand. It's so frustrating to see/hear of people chanting and cheering so outrageously over one man's death, despite his wrong doings. I can't feel anything but sadness over the lives that have already been lost, and yes, I am sure more than 1 person is "waiting in the wings" to take over, his wealth went to someone I'm sure.It's just depressing.

And what's more? I think I saw 3 posts on FB about JPII's Beatification...maybe more, but it was nothing compared to the explosion on Bin Laden's death. I know that most people who are not Catholic don't care about that, but still, JPII was one of the greatest men of our time and leaders of the largest Church in the world. Meh, Guess it's just me, but I thought it was sad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Add me to the dittos. I am grateful that he will no longer engineer his evil on the world, but I am not one to celebrate anyone's death. I am grateful to our military for their efforts, and I too pray that there will be no widescale retaliation against America or our troops.

I'd say this is a moment for gratitude and solemnity, but not jubilation.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I like this one.

11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!." Ezekiel 33:11

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-praying-peace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b32ad050-2257-4eac-9293-0edd6d72203cPost:ef32543f-e0cb-4315-a275-fd546f7abe37">Re: NWR: Praying for peace</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like this one.   11  Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! ." Ezekiel 33:11
    Posted by GeorgiaPeachMarie[/QUOTE]

Georgia, that's beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards