Catholic Weddings
Options

traditional wedding gift

A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks in a very small ceremony.  She didn't register for gifts and isn't inviting many people.  I wanted to mark the importance of the occasion by getting her something.  I feel like I once saw or read somewhere that there is a set of christmas ornaments that are traditional to give Catholic brides.  Each ornament symbolizes something for one's marriage... is this ringing a bell with anyone?  I did a basic google search and didn't come up with anything.

Re: traditional wedding gift

• Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_traditional-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b5a14a97-9b69-4d4e-b607-43f8c1e57a41Post:9d45d646-1b65-46e7-99a0-1a93b3cfd303">traditional wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks in a very small ceremony.  She didn't register for gifts and isn't inviting many people.  I wanted to mark the importance of the occasion by getting her something.  I feel like I once saw or read somewhere that there is a set of christmas ornaments that are traditional to give Catholic brides.  Each ornament symbolizes something for one's marriage... is this ringing a bell with anyone?  I did a basic google search and didn't come up with anything.
    Posted by gwendolynclare[/QUOTE]

This is what you're looking for.  I only knew because I had them gifted to me at Christmas!  <a href="http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/glassornwed1.html">http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/glassornwed1.html</a>
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i had never heard of this, but now that i see that set - i want them!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    docta, when you got the set, did it include literature on each ornament and the meaning?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw that's a great idea! What a thoughtful friend :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_traditional-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b5a14a97-9b69-4d4e-b607-43f8c1e57a41Post:46e8169d-0e82-43d0-a332-07be0f14801c">Re: traditional wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]docta, when you got the set, did it include literature on each ornament and the meaning?
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Um, it at least has a short summary.  It's stashed away with the Christmas stuff so I don't feel like going to look right now, but if I think about it tomorrow I will and get back to you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    docta, i want to thank you for the link you provided in this thread.

i ordered 2 sets of these and they arrived the other day.  one is for my SIL-to-be, and the other for us.  they are GORGEOUS!  i love Old World CHristmas anyway - i have a individual ornaments ive bought over the past few years.  i told H i wanted to get a christmas tree in July so we can hang them up sooner than december.  LOL
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Doh, I kept forgetting to get the specifics of the included description card for you.  I'm glad you like them!  I'd honestly never heard of them until FI's stepmom gave them to us for Christmas.  Which is funny considering how many times I have been inside Catholic Supply stores in St. Louis, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i had never heard of them, and im a lifelong catholic AND its apparently a german tradition and i'm 1/4 german.

i really really want to put up a tree.  like now.  lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards