Catholic Weddings

Wedding Mass Chalice

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can get a chalice for use in my ceremony? I would like to be able to get it engraved.
Thanks!

Re: Wedding Mass Chalice

• edited December 2011
    Things remembered and most jewelry stores will engrave even if you didnt buy the item there. i'm sure there's some kind of clause if they make a mistake since they will have no way to replace the item, but you should be able to get it done. Just purchase the chalice you like from any religious store or online.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WHOA...be careful on this one. The chalice is part of the sacrament the priest ministers, not the couple. Many priests use their own personal chalice, most of the time the one they received at their ordination. Sometimes they use one that matches the parish communion cups. There are rubric requirements to the material a chalice is made of.  This isn't an item that you can "personalize."  It's possible you could even insult the priest by suggesting it.

I'm not saying its never been done..but in light of the understanding of the Eucharist, its not a good idea.
  • k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Um - it's not a keepsake - as agape said it's part of a sacrament.  I know this is just from Wikipedia, but this post shocked me - so it's the best I can do at the moment.  I would NEVER think of such a thing!  (Not trying to be rude or insulting, I'm really, truly just stunned by the suggestion.)

"The chalice is considered to be one of the most sacred vessels in Christian liturgical worship, and it is often blessed before use. In the Roman Catholic Church, and some Anglo-Catholic churches, it was the custom for a chalice to be consecrated by being anointed with chrism, and this consecration could only be performed by a bishop or abbot (only for use within his own monastery).[1] Among the Eastern Churches there are varying practices regarding blessing. In some traditions the very act of celebrating the Sacred Mysteries (Sacrament) is the only blessing necessary; in others, there is a special rite of blessing. In some Eastern traditions this blessing may be done only by a bishop, in some it may be done by a priest. In any case, in both the East and the West, once a chalice has been blessed, it may only be touched by an ordained member of the higher clergy (bishop, priest or deacon). In the Russian Orthodox Church a subdeacon is permitted to touch the holy vessels, but only if they are wrapped in cloth."

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, now that k8ly mentions this, I am affirming that practice of the blessed cup. I couldn't remember my sources, I just knew I've heard of that.

The cup is often veiled before mass until the preparation of the gifts...the veil is VERY symbolic throughout the wedding... as a husband unveils his wife in preparation for consumating a marriage, (the reason dad should not be the one to lift a bride's veil, but the husband after the vows) the priest unveils the cup. The Eucharist is the marraige of Christ to His church...and the priest is the person of Christ.

• edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs that a chalice is not just something you go out an buy for the wedding. 

Not to make light of this, but it reminded we of an amusing story from our wedding that DH told me afterwards.  We were married in my childhoold church but brought in an outside priest who is a close friend of DH's family.  My parents' neighbor is a deacon at the church and assisted with the mass.

Before the wedding, DH was sitting around the sacristy while the priest and deacon were putting on vestaments and preparing for the mass.  The deacon brought out a couple plates and a chalice.  The priest (who is not shy about sharing his opinions) looked at the chalice and said, "What kind of chalice is that!  That's the chinciest chalice I've seen!  Don't you have anything nicer than that?"  So the deacon went back and pulled out a more ornate chalice that made the priest happy.

So apparently some priests have very strong opinions about chalices and don't take them lightly.  That makes sense, but I'd never really thought about that before.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards