Catholic Weddings
Options

Devotion to The Blessed Virgin Mary

I would really like to incorporate this into our ceremony with the Ave Maria being sung. At what point in the ceremony does this typically take place? Also, it's not clear to me if the bride alone offers flowers to the Virgin Mary, or the couple?  Would I or we just simply lay flowers in front of the statue, or would I/we stop to say a private prayer as well? I have not seen this done at a ceremony so I'm not entirely familiar with the custom. Any insight would be appreciated.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Devotion to The Blessed Virgin Mary

• Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a sample program of someone who got married at the church I'm getting married at.  They did Flowers to Mary right after Communion, but before the Final Blessing and recessional.

I'm not sure about the other details though...
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is meant to be a time that you and your spouse ask for Mary's intercession in your new family. 99% of the time it happens after Communion- but some priests will put it at the sign of peace. Check with your priest.

Yes, you should pray. Doing a symbolic flower drop with no prayer is empty and just for show.
    If the statue is reachable, you can crown her
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did this, as a couple. Basically we walked over to the statue, said a brief prayer and laid flowers at her feet.

I'd have to check my program at home to tell you when specifically in the ceremony we did this but I know it was towards the end, after Communion.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone, it goes best after Communion and before the Rite of Dismissal.  I would stop to say a prayer with your FI.  If you are doing a program, this is something you could add:

"As Catholics, [you] and [your FI] look to Mary as the perfect example of a wife and a mother, and to the Holy Family as model they hope to emulate in their life together. For this reason, [you] will present a bouquet of flowers to the Blessed Virgin as she prays that Mary's example will guide their family on God's path for them."
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When depends on your priest. SOme do it with the unity candle after the vows and some do it at the end right before the final blessing.  The husband and wife usually go together and I did pray during mine.  
  • Options
    Hulz2000Hulz2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would ask your priest. Ours told us we could not do this as part of the ceremony, as it is not a part of the Rite of Marriage (neither is the unity candle so we can't do that either!). He suggested we do it as a couple either before or after the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards