Catholic Weddings
Options

how are my northeast friends?

i hit the grocery store yesterday morning before the crazies came out.  even at 830 am, saturday, the water shelf was half empty.

im stocked up, holed up, and ready for the fun.  too bad i probably will still have to work tomorrow. 

Re: how are my northeast friends?

• Options
    I just went to the grocery store about an hour ago, just for peanut butter and bread and it was packed with people, but still well stocked.

I'll have to work tomorrow too. I might be the only one there, but at least they have a generator.

Last year we roughed it out for 6 days without power. My all-electric apartment had nothing but my fiance's house still had hot water (thank you natural gas!) So we figure it can't be worse than last year. And at least now he has a grill so if it's an extended power outage we can make grilled peanut butter sandwiches.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just got back from the store. Target was completely out of flashlights but we already had plenty of those and candles. Managed to find a small battery operated radio (which was the purpose of the trip) at the radio shack. All stocked up on water and food and we have a gas stove, so we can always light it ourselves when we lose power.

I am ready for Sandy! I am guessing the University of Maryland will close tomorrow as all the local schools are closing. In any case I doubt many people in my lab will come in because all their kids will have no school. My husband is also trying to figure out if their office will be open. I guess in the past they have made the call based on what the DC public schools do, so we may both get to stay home tomorrow are Tuesday.
  • Options
    I'm far from the action, but keeping all of you in my prayers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_how-are-my-northeast-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:bee13b6e-f2ed-4d1f-a14c-92d6ee640a29Post:22d266ab-b8f7-4ce4-9399-c0010ba851da">Re: how are my northeast friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm far from the action, but keeping all of you in my prayers.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto! </div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    We barely did any prep...well, none actually. I don't have work tmw but H does. Hopefully we won't lose power. Stay safe, everyone

• Options
    We're still hanging on! This has been one of the longest hurricanes I can remember, we're going on the third day of the storm!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    my particular area is expected to get minimal rain, and the winds will only be about 40mph.  i think we're gonna be ok, but you never know.

its so crazy to hear that lower manhattan will probably flood!
  • Options
    Yeeeeah I'm in Manhattan and it's crazy that several of my friends had to evacuate. They complained as they did it, but the pictures I've seen thus far of Battery Park are pretty scary. I'm not in an evacuation area though, and I'm pretty high up so I'm not as concerned about the storm surge, BUT every time they talk about possible subway damage and having to close the subways for a long time, I get nervous. 

I think it's supposed to hit New Jersey worse, but the law firm did cancel work today so FI and I are holed up in the apartment. The wind is absurd. We have tons of bottled water and since I'm from the south, I had my mom walk me through yesterday all the things we should do "just in case." (It's super nerdy. We have emergency "go bags" and cash and a bathtub full of water.) We have gas stove and water heater though so hopefully it won't get too bad. Mostly it's just scary to be somewhere that doesn't usually experience hurricanes. And also, I don't want to spend a day at home without the internet. It just seems like a waste of a day off...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    A crane on top of a building on 57th Street just snapped in the wind.  It's dangling from around the 70th floor right now.  They are trying to evacuate the area but it's a major cross street with tons of businesses and stores
  • Options
    Thinking of you all!!!!
  • Options
    I am in Upstate NY so I won't see the worst.  I have home with the weather coverage on.  I just wish DH would come home from work.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_how-are-my-northeast-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:bee13b6e-f2ed-4d1f-a14c-92d6ee640a29Post:614e83a3-e46b-4ec0-b910-281c0e4d9001">Re: how are my northeast friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: how are my northeast friends? : Ditto! 
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]
    Same here.  Stay safe and dry everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We have power, but I'm seeing lots of FB posts of people in the area who do not. Looks like work is canceled again tomorrow. H got off early. The whole apartment is clean, we made some awesome chili and baked corn muffins and ginger bread.

• Options
    The video of that crane is SCARY!

A friend of ours who lives in NY says her ceiling has a wet spot and the paint is coming off, but it's so far not leaking.  I mean, obviously it's got a leak, but she's taking a small victory.  Hopefully she has the sense not to go in that particular room.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards