Catholic Weddings
Options

Alleluia besides Celtic Alleluia?

Is anyone having a different version of the Alleluia besides the Celtic Alleluia or Alleluia, Give the Glory?  Our music director emailed those as pretty much my only two suggestions, but I want the ceremony to be slow and meditative, so these sound over-familiar and blaring to me.  (I have a music degree, so I'm really picky about these things lol)  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Anniversary
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!

Re: Alleluia besides Celtic Alleluia?

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have a gander through these mass settings:
    http://www.hymnprint.net/index.cfm?go=cCatalog.showMassList
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We were just given Mass of Creation or Mass of Light

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were allowed to choose any Alleluia that we wanted, so long as we could give the organist music for it.  (The organist was the choir director, and I sang in the choir, so she gave me a lot of leeway b/c she knew I had good taste in music. Wink)   

We ended up choosing a three-fold alleluia that our parish had been using as the Alleluia on Sundays during the Easter season that year -- we got married at the tail end of the Easter season.  I wouldn't call it "meditative," though, so it probably won't work for you.

If you like more traditional Mass settings, try locating a copy of the St. Gregory hymnal or choir book.  It includes many Mass settings and hymns that are hardly ever used anymore, and some of them are gorgeous.  It was originally published in the 1930s, I think, but recently has been republished by Neumann Press. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing the Alleluia from the Mass of Light. I love it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We know of a great Catholic band called Sonar in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and we are paying them to play contemporary Catholic music at our wedding. (For those who are familiar with Steubenville Youth Conferences, Sonar is the band who does Steubenville North). Anyway, Sonar wrote their own Mass parts, and we are having them do those. They will be contemporary and fun and beautiful!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    undiscovered:   I play in the house band for steubenville st. louis! That's so great that you've been!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using the Alleluia No. 1 (Alleluia, alleluia, give thanks to the risen Lord. Alleluia, Alleluia, give praise to his name)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyName Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards