Catholic Weddings

Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding.

So I saw this and wanted to get your opinions of this. Do you feel his simple presence and reading of scripture was a statement on his beliefs as a priest in the Church?

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-priest-rebuke-20120906,0,4648544.story

Re: Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding.

• No..if it's against their rules, they should give him a warning. He didn't technically officiate the wedding.  
    But then again, I'm a Catholic against the sexual orientation discrimination & believe we shouldn't limit the freedom to marry   :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • this must be the same one OOT posted about.

as a priest, he absolutely should not have had any involvement in that wedding. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_priest-rebuked-over-role-in-gay-cousins-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23ac297-01b8-44bd-bd97-93cad5def05cPost:4c6c3da9-f3c2-4115-a52b-09e3a643b40c">Re: Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]this must be the same one OOT posted about. as a priest, he absolutely should not have had any involvement in that wedding. 
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    In the article it said "By being there, he has said that he believes in what is happening..." do you agree with this? So what if he didn't participate and he wanted to be there for a family member that is wrong too?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_priest-rebuked-over-role-in-gay-cousins-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23ac297-01b8-44bd-bd97-93cad5def05cPost:f90780b6-0886-4ae4-a5dd-6a610d67d261">Re: Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding. : In the article it said "By being there, he has said that he believes in what is happening..." do you agree with this? So what if he didn't participate and he wanted to be there for a family member that is wrong too?
    Posted by afrenchprincess[/QUOTE]

Technically yes.  By the same token, Catholics are not supposed to attend the weddings of fellow Catholics that do not follow proper form (for example, having an outdoor ceremony instead of one in a church).  By attending, we're basically saying with our presence that we support it.

It's certainly not cut-and-dry (edit: at least from an emotional standpoint, obviously the church's stance is clear).  My sister is gay and if she decided to get married I would have a hard time not being there out of love for her, but I would also have a very hard time ignoring my conscience.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_priest-rebuked-over-role-in-gay-cousins-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23ac297-01b8-44bd-bd97-93cad5def05cPost:0272d9bf-7fb8-427f-88e6-53f6ae77d684">Re: Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Priest Rebuked over role in gay cousin's wedding. : Technically yes.  By the same token, Catholics are not supposed to attend the weddings of fellow Catholics that do not follow proper form (for example, having an outdoor ceremony instead of one in a church).  By attending, we're basically saying with our presence that we support it. It's certainly not cut-and-dry (edit: at least from an emotional standpoint, obviously the church's stance is clear).  My sister is gay and if she decided to get married I would have a hard time not being there out of love for her, but I would also have a very hard time ignoring my conscience.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<strong>My sister is gay and if she decided to get married I would have a hard time not being there out of love for her, but I would also have a very hard time ignoring my conscience.</strong> I totally understand this. It would be very hard for me as well. But I also feel like there are things people do everyday that I don't agree but I still have to be around and support them. Not necessarily their decisions but for emotional support.
  • This always confuses me.  I mean, I've been to weddings I disagreed with.  My presence at a wedding doesn't mean I support it -- it just means I am not willing to cause a major fight over it, because I love that person too much and I know my not attending won't stop the wedding.

• I think there's a huge difference between attending the wedding of a couple who are marrying outside the Church and the wedding of a gay couple.

The first *may* be theologically justified if the strife it would cause by not attending would outweigh the possible scandal of attending.  At least with this couple, the could potentially be validly married (with a convalidation, an annulment if they need it, etc.).  The point is, their relationship is at least properly ordered towards marriage.

But with the second situation, there's no way to theologicallly justify it.  A gay couple can't ever become validly married no matter what.  So a Catholic cannot show support for a disordered relationship that cannot ever become ordered. 

That doesn't mean that you shun your gay friends, refuse to talk to them, not allow them to come over to your house, etc.  I think in all other ways, you support them as fellow people.  But attending a wedding is a clear statement of support for their marriage and relationship.

SaveSave
  • I attended the wedding of a dear couple, both men. I attended to show my support and love for them. I'm at peace with my decisions to stand behind them, and now that they have two little, happy, well-adjusted and very loved children, I know they are a family I can be proud of. 
    ~ES~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards