Catholic Weddings

Candle Lighting at a Catholic Mass

What normally is said/goes on during a Candle Lighting in a Catholic Mass for a wedding?

I am out of town, so I have a hard time getting together with my priest. I am curious, because my Fiance wants to do the Sand Ceremony instead, but I am trying to plan out if we are gonig to have them say the poems for the Sand Ceremony or just whatever they normally say during the candle lighting, say during the sand ceremony.

Any help would be great! Thank you!

Re: Candle Lighting at a Catholic Mass

• Candle / Sand ceremony are Pagan traditions and not allowed in a Catholic Mass.

Your priest can confirm.
  • If you're talking about unity candle, that isn't part of the marriage rite. IT was invented on a soap opera, and many priests don't allow it.
    If they do, it usually happens immediately after the exchange of rings. 

There is nothing to be said during it, and poems will definitely not be allowed-- the mass is already written. 
  • PP are correct that unity candles aren't part of a Catholic ceremony, though some churches/priests allow it. Typically there has been a hymn sung during the unity candle at the weddings I've attended.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_candle-lighting-at-a-catholic-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c40f0c15-9360-4f06-bc21-b95d02320f77Post:d7be3164-22f0-4016-aaff-2b028d4139ea">Re: Candle Lighting at a Catholic Mass</a>:
    [QUOTE]Candle / Sand ceremony are Pagan traditions and not allowed in a Catholic Mass. Your priest can confirm.
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

It's not that they're not allowed, they'rej ust not traditionally part of it.  Each priest is different.

We lit a unity candle, and it was right after we exchanged rings.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_candle-lighting-at-a-catholic-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c40f0c15-9360-4f06-bc21-b95d02320f77Post:86ef51a7-4528-49a5-bf65-80e96dff05c1">Re: Candle Lighting at a Catholic Mass</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Candle Lighting at a Catholic Mass : It's not that they're not allowed, they'rej ust not traditionally part of it.  Each priest is different. We lit a unity candle, and it was right after we exchanged rings.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

No, technically they are not allowed. Even with more emphasis pagan rituals. It's just that priests don't enforce the rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards