Catholic Weddings

First confession coming up here soon!

Hi everyone! I am entering the Church on  May 1st, so next week some time I will be celebrating the Sacrement of Reconciliation. I have really not been too nervous about it but would like any advice or tips or even where to start on what I should confess. I know I need to definately confess my mortal sins, but, I guess I mean how specific I should be. Thank you so much :)
xoxo, Jennifer

Re: First confession coming up here soon!

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations! I get confirmed on Saturday.

If you scroll down, you can read my experience with my first Reconciliation. It was a very emotional experience.

I confessed everything I could possibly think of, from mortal sins all the way down to I spoke badly about someone. I made a list so I wouldn't forget anything.

I loved knowing that I got rid of the weight of all those sins and no longer carry it around with me. Be as thorough as possible.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Be as specific as you want.  I'd focus on anything weighing on your heart first.  And then make sure you cover any mortal sins.  I have had priests tell me that they don't need to hear absolutely every sin but want to focus on the sins since you became a Catholic (I saw this as someone who spent years away from the church -- the first time I confessed upon returning, the priest didn't want to hear about all things I did while away).  

Good luck.  I can guarantee that you'll feel better afterwards, so don't feel too anxious!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Unless you are under 8. please don't confess to adultry.

haha, I will never forget my first confession at age 6

hey, if it was on the list, I knew I must have done it ;)

edited December 2011
    Oh, Mrs.C

I totally forgot that your reconciliation was this past weekend.

Now I have to go find your post but first,

Congratulations!!
    edited December 2011
    Okay, serious now, after the joke.

I try to start off with the most important commandments, Honoring God above all things and not having false idols (these can be money, fame, undeserved success, along that line.)  The second most important commandment is Loving others as you do yourself. (think about being kind, charitable, generous with your love & time, etc)  Even things such as being aware of the environment count as we are obligated to keep the earth a good place.

Then I go over the seven deadly sins.  Pride, envy, lust, sloath, etc and concentrate on those.

You can't really just look at which commandments you may have violated because some of them have further meanings that your RICA probably taught you.

Tiny details aren't necessary unless you feel they are relavent.  Or the priest may ask if you're not explicit and he doesn't reall understand what you mean.

You never have to mention names but i think that's a given.

Good luck! and let us know how it goes :)
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    im not sure that some of the ten commandments are "more important" than others.

but otherwise, as oot said, i go through all ten, then the deadlys.  gluttony always gets me - but not gluttony of food, but rather booze.  :-(
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_first-confession-coming-up-here-soon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cbd283e8-fd08-4c98-b64f-161c7012be60Post:f0265eac-32d2-4f70-952b-09df8d4ca45f">Re: First confession coming up here soon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, Mrs.C I totally forgot that your reconciliation was this past weekend. Now I have to go find your post but first, Congratulations!!
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are many examination of conscience  out there.

Here's one that was really amazing for me I just saw someone post on catholic answers

http://blog.adw.org/wp-content/uploa...repentance.pdf

Here's another one
    http://www.beginningcatholic.com/catholic-examination-of-conscience.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards