Catholic Weddings
Options

Please proofread my invites!

i've looked these over again and again. I'm just hesitant to click the 'confirm' button on the order without reassurance that it's all okay!

Mr. & Mrs. Joe Blow
Mrs. John Doe
Request the honour of your presence
at the Nuptual Mass uniting their children
Jane Mary
and
Jon James
in the Holy Sacrament of Marriage

(date/time  & church info I'm good with)

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Please proofread my invites!

• Options
    It's spelled, "nuptial." Otherwise I can't think of anything. Except for my distaste for European spellings. ;
    Anniversary

• Options
    Oh man! I've been spelling it nuptual this whole time!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_please-proofread-my-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc1a92c8-6b25-4b77-b4b1-e88bfe2df1cfPost:14a48048-f922-4ea7-b987-8fbd076ac6b4">Please proofread my invites!</a>:
    [QUOTE]i've looked these over again and again. I'm just hesitant to click the 'confirm' button on the order without reassurance that it's all okay!

Mr. & Mrs. Joe Blow

Mrs. John Doe

request the honour of your presence
     at the Nuptual Mass uniting their children Jane Mary and Jon James in the Holy Sacrament of Marriage (date/time  & church info I'm good with) Thanks for your help!!
    Posted by Scherff[/QUOTE]

The nuptial mass honors the couple, it does not marry them. 
    The groom gets Mr.but the bride doesn't get Miss or Ms.

Frankly, I hate using the term "children" on a wedding invitation.  Children cannot marry, only adults can.  You could just skip the word
  • Options
    I'm still lightyears away from needing to create invitations, but all these invitation threads lately have only taught me how difficult it is to come up with the proper wording for stupid invitations!

When it's finally my time, I'm going to need someone to just tell me what to write.

SaveSave
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Please proofread my invites! :Frankly, I hate using the term "children" on a wedding invitation.  Children cannot marry, only adults can.  You could just skip the word
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]
    That doesn't make sense. First of all, I have never in my life seen an invitation where the parents are doing the "inviting" that did <em>not</em> include the word "children," - how else could you possibly relay the information that it was the <em>children</em> of the parents who were getting married without being ridiculously wordy?<div>Secondly, children can marry. There is more than one definition to "child." I will ALWAYS be the "child" of my parents. "Child" can be simply a non-gender-specific son or daughter. See m-w.com ; the 4th definition is simply "a son or daughter of human parents." </div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    the only thing I would do is add an "and" between the names of the married parents and the name of the single parent.

When I read it the way you have it, I thought someone's parents were divorced and remarried until I saw the statement "our children". I think the and would make that a little less confusing.

I also agree with the European spelling thing. Drives me crazy!! LOL

Ditto what lalaith said.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_please-proofread-my-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc1a92c8-6b25-4b77-b4b1-e88bfe2df1cfPost:cbf2f026-667e-41c3-9be9-0a0cd75d9e1a">Re: Please proofread my invites!</a>:
    [QUOTE]That doesn't make sense. First of all, I have never in my life seen an invitation where the parents are doing the "inviting" that did not  include the word "children," - how else could you possibly relay the information that it was the children  of the parents who were getting married without being ridiculously wordy? Secondly, children can marry. There is more than one definition to "child." I will ALWAYS be the "child" of my parents. "Child" can be simply a non-gender-specific son or daughter. See m-w.com ; the 4th definition is simply "a son or daughter of human parents." 
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]
    I've never in my life seen an invitation with the word "children." So there you go. I believe that daughter and son are more common, at least on the invitations I've received. I.e., Mrs. and Mr. Joe Blow request the honor of your presence at the nuptial mass honoring their daughter Jane and John Snow son of Ms. Snow, etc.<div>
    </div><div>I also agree w/ oot. It's a bit odd to see children, especially with all three parents listed first. That's just weird. Along with juvenalizing them, they aren't both the children of all three parents.</div>
  • Options
    Interesting OOT, I never thought of it that way.

I would also think you should have an "and" inbetween the names of your parents, to reduce the confusion maybe?  I've seen plenty of invitations where both sets of parents were on the invite and "children" was used.  Mainly because no matter how old I am, I am still my parents' child.

Interesting note: according to Emily Post, "honour" is used when the ceremony will take place in a house of worship.
    Anniversary

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    OOT is right about the technicality of the Mass not being what unites the couple... technically you and your fiance confer the sacrament upon one another and the priest, wedding party, guests, etc. all witness the sacrament.  My favorite reference to direct people to for Catholic wedding invite wording is knottie, clearheavens' bio here (<link).  Our invitation wording is here (<link).

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_please-proofread-my-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc1a92c8-6b25-4b77-b4b1-e88bfe2df1cfPost:3774ff85-58f9-48b7-a139-82086b2ed267">Re: Please proofread my invites!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Interesting OOT, I never thought of it that way. I would also think you should have an "and" inbetween the names of your parents, to reduce the confusion maybe?  I've seen plenty of invitations where both sets of parents were on the invite and "children" was used.  <strong>Mainly because no matter how old I am, I am still my parents' child. </strong>Interesting note: according to Emily Post, "honour" is used when the ceremony will take place in a house of worship.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.

</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards