Catholic Weddings
Options

What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)

Okay, we're gonna try something new.  I think most people probably bailed on the thread I started last week since unless you have your threads sorted by most recent posts, it's probably off your radar.

I'm gonna (try to) start daily threads for random chit-chat so maybe we can develop a better sense of community around these parts and make the board seem a little more friendly.  Cait suggested posting a daily prayer or something - if anyone has something in mind, please post!

I'll start.

My dissertation defense is tomorrow, and I'm so friggin' excited that my brain is so not functioning properly at all, lol.  It took me two hours yesterday morning to figure out what I needed to do in the lab for the day.  I think I must've just been sitting at my desk staring off into space or something.  I have no idea, lol.

And I do have one Catholic related thing that's been on my mind.  Has anyone else learned any of the new mass settings yet?  I've known the wording changes for a while, but I guess I didn't realize how wordy the new Gloria words would feel when singing them.  I feel like it's one of those cases of something not translating well from one language to another, which happens a lot.  Anyway, it just felt awkward to sing, that's all!

ETA:  And if someone else ever wants to start one if I haven't swung by yet for the day, go for it!
BabyFruit Ticker
Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!

Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Love this, docta!  Good luck on your disseration defense tomorrow!!!

Just posted this in the Mass of Creation thread, but it follows off your comments on the new translation, so I deleted and will post here instead!

I wonder how hard the transition to the new Mass will be?  I guess we'll stumble through it the first couple times!

Is there a lot of history behind these changes?  I know some Tridentine Mass go-ers have issue with some of the English translations -- is this all an attempt to get a better translation, and fix the wordings that people had issue with at Vatican II?  I had some close friends in high school that were followers of LeFebvre, and they explained that the Vatican II English Mass had bad translations that LeFebvre and his followers had issue with.  (Obviously not all Tridentine Mass go-ers are followers of LeFebvre -- but for me, personally, my main understanding of the differences in these Masses comes from followers of LeFebvre).

Just wondering if anyone has a deeper understanding of these changes :)  I think it could be an exciting transition if it brought greater unity to the Church

• Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Within my limited knowledge, yes, the changes are meant to bring the English translation closer to the Latin, which is why (I think) some of the wording seems a little awkward.  Someone else can expand more :).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @docta.... Good luck on your dissertation defense!!!  I'd send a virtual bottle of wine for afterwards if I could :)  Prayers will have to suffice for now!  Ditto on the new translation... I'm so used to how things flow now!   I haven't looked up any of the new stuff yet but have started attending a seminar at my parish on the changes.  I personally think it will help me concentrate more on Mass again because I often find myself falling into saying the responses without thinking!

Right now I'm thinking about rather boring things.  I'm in the middle of the name change process which was a bit stalled by the state government shutdown in MN for 2 1/2 weeks in July and the lack of a certified marriage certificate from the county!  It's insane how many things are affected by my surname nowadays and it's exhausting calling everywhere I can think of to get it switched over.  DH and I are also amidst figuring out how to combine our finances in the most effective way beyond simply having a joint banking account...  no idea where to even start!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Intersting. 

So what's on my mind lately is that FI is moving back to school in less than two weeks :(   He's finishing up his degree this year, two hours away from where I live.  I've really enjoyed spending so much time with his this summer.  Last year wasn't so hard, because I wasn't used to seeing him every day anyway.  But this year, I'm afraid I'll have a tough time since I'm used to seeing him all the time. 

He's really good about calling/texting throughout the day and all that, but when he's at school, we have two very different lives.  I'm a typical working professional, and he'll be living the college life, with a crazy schedule and late nights.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Resa - you can make it through this!  I know its really hard (FI and I have been long distance for 4 years, with him as a working professional and me as a grad student).  There are good days and bad days, and find help if you need it on the bad days.  I'll be honest and say I needed a lot of help at first.

And Veggie - you'll rock your defense!

Finally, I don't know much about the new mass settings, other than they don't seem to flow as well in general.  I'm sure we'll get used to it.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Newly - I know what you mean.  I've been soooooooo lazy with changing my name.  So far I have a new SS card, a new license, and I changed my name on my bank accounts (we still need to open a joint one).  But I still have credit cards, our mortgage, student loans, and fifty bazillion other account-type things (utilities, online sites, etc.) that I haven't touched.  It really makes you realize just how much of a paper trail you have!

Sorry about your FI being so far away, Resa!  You can probably still see him on some weekends, right?  2 hours isn't too bad.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:05aea8b0-b49f-431a-b3dd-9eaca8e4b449">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]@docta.... Good luck on your dissertation defense!!!  I'd send a virtual bottle of wine for afterwards if I could :)  Prayers will have to suffice for now!  Ditto on the new translation... I'm so used to how things flow now!   I haven't looked up any of the new stuff yet but have started attending a seminar at my parish on the changes.  I personally think it will help me concentrate more on Mass again because I often find myself falling into saying the responses without thinking! Right now I'm thinking about rather boring things.  I'm in the middle of the name change process which was a bit stalled by the state government shutdown in MN for 2 1/2 weeks in July and the lack of a certified marriage certificate from the county!  It's insane how many things are affected by my surname nowadays and it's exhausting calling everywhere I can think of to get it switched over. <strong> DH and I are also amidst figuring out how to combine our finances in the most effective way beyond simply having a joint banking account...  no idea where to even start!</strong>
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it works out!  I'm nervous about the idea of sharing money.  It'll be hard to make sure both of us are on the same page about what we can afford to buy, how much to put in savings, etc. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, two hours isn't anything to freak out about.  We'll see each other on weekends.  But I'll still miss him a lot! 

I'm trying to be positive and think of the positive things about him being away -- Like,  I'll have more time to hang out with my friends. 

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    docta, good luck on your defense!

I'm not sure that I'm cut out for this mom business Frown Yesterday was my first day alone with Darian (DH went to work and my mom is no longer staying with us). He didn't let me put him down for more than 5 mins - at one point during the day, I couldn't even find the time to go to the bathroom. And Darian did not sleep for any stretch longer than 45 mins last night. ALL NIGHT. Physically, I can handle the sleep deprivation, but I feel awful that I couldn't soothe him and that DH didn't get any sleep either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :(.  Let your mama get some rest, baby ringy!

Do you have any reason to think he's colic-y?  Or does he just really want your attention and stops crying when you pick him up?  Maybe Dr. Mica might have some suggestions!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ringpop -- don't get discouraged!  Remember that this stage won't last forever.  Your baby might be waking up all night now, but before you know it he'll be sleeping for several hour stretches.  And don't be too hard on yourself.  Every mother that I know has admitted that they had moments where they didn't think they could handle it, so the way you're feeling makes your a normal mom :)

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It could be colic. Well, it's often gas-related anyway, there are things we can do to help him pass gas but sometimes we just have to wait until he works it out on his own. That and when he starts crying, he gets stuffy and the trouble breathing just makes him feel even worse. Annnd he's going through a growth spurt so he's feeding every 1-1.5 hrs. At least I think/hope it's just a growth spurt, but this has been going on for more than a week (and usually growth spurts are just a few days).

re: finances, I love Gail Vaz Oxlade. Here's a good starter article but there's lots more if you dig around her site. I also really like her budget tool.
    http://gailvazoxlade.com/articles/love_money/getting_married.html
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:82975460-9af6-4233-b8a5-a848b120637a">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ringpop -- don't get discouraged!  Remember that this stage won't last forever.  Your baby might be waking up all night now, but before you know it he'll be sleeping for several hour stretches.  And don't be too hard on yourself.  Every mother that I know has admitted that they had moments where they didn't think they could handle it, so the way you're feeling makes your a normal mom :)
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the encouragement. That in itself really helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Docta--good luck tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do great.

Re: the new translation, from someone who much prefers the Tridentine Mass but decidedly not a LeFebvrite--I am no expert on the music end of things, but I CAN'T WAIT for the corrected translation. It will bring us more into conformity with the universal Church both in terms of place (other languages already use the equivalent of what we will be using) AND time (the words are more similar to the TLM.)

Re: combining finances--that was a bit difficult for us since we have pretty different ideas about spending/saving habits...we have kind of lost track of things in this area for awhile now after the baby died (just didn't seem important) so as of now it's pretty much--I pay the bills and check our balance, and H never does and just asks me if he can buy something. Lol. Probably not the best, but we're working on it...

As far as thinking about today--It's raining here which cancelled most of my plans for the day (take dogs to dog park, clean/wash car.) I still have some other chores and errands to do. Mostly (in which I really put myself out there) I am bummed because today marks the end of our first cycle TTC (unsuccessful, obviously.) I know I can't worry yet after one month, (though the two months prior we TTW) and I know some people go through this much longer. It's just hard after losing our son.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you had to go through that, Cait.  I have no doubt he's up there right now telling God that he wants a little brother or sister!

We're of the mentality that we can still have some privacy with day-to-day spending.  We've decided to open joint accounts and set aside the majority of every paycheck for bills and savings while leaving a small fraction in our personal accounts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cait -- so sorry for your loss!  I'm relatively new to the board, so I don't know the details, but I wish you all the best in your efforts to conceive again.  I've seen friends go through similar situations and see how difficult it can be on them.  T&P going your way!

• Options
    KamakananiKamakanani member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck, Docta!  You'll blow 'em out of the water!  Sending prayers your way.

What's on my mind today?  really mostly mundane things, like figuring out a meal plan for the rest of the week, trying to focus on my work (and apparantly failing, lol), and trying to find time to finish clearing out the den for FI to have space to put everything.  Oh yeah, and the whole laundry thing, and wondering if I'll show a loss at weigh-in tonight (I'm on WW).

Nothing too interesting going on over here.

Re: new translation - I'm kind of looking forward to it, since  I already feel slightly off-kilter in some places at Mass.  I'm used to certain places being more gender-neutral from the chapel I went to in college (ie: "for the praise and glory of God's name, for our good and the good of all God's Church" whereas the parish I go to still uses "His").  This way, the whole congregation can be a little off-kilter together!  :)  Plus it's my understanding that the new translation will bring the English Mass closer to the Latin, Spanish, and other language Masses in places where we weren't really matching up, so the idea of making the Catholic Mass truly Catholic (ie: universal) feels quite right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in 4 days, so THAT is what's on my mind! =)

Luckily, I was a crazed bride-to-be about getting things done way in advance so I have maybe 4 things to do between now and Saturday, so I'm not stressed at all, just enjoying the time leading up to the big day.

I'm so happy that FI and I were able to get to confession this past weekend as well. It was just such a refreshing feeling leaving church afterwards, knowing that we're cleared of all of sins, entering into this sacrament in a state of grace.

Everyone else is "behaving"... which makes it so much easier on me. No drama, thank you. =)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck, Docta!  And congrats, Lindsay!

I am in the process of moving into the brand new school to which I've been assigned, plus getting ready for inservice next week, so I am starting to feel the pressure.  I have been named team leader for my subject area, but didn't go to any training (didn't find out I was team leader until a few weeks ago), so it is kind of like flying blind.  This new school and the teachers here are amazing, though, so as long as everyone is flexible, I think everything should go really well.

And my FBIL just told me he's sending his wife to Norway for her birthday (her dad just got sent there for work).  What an amazing gift!
    Anniversary

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:395071b0-241e-42e3-8c26-3e3388e6d718">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE] I am in the process of moving into the brand new school to which I've been assigned, plus getting ready for inservice next week, so I am starting to feel the pressure.  I have been named team leader for my subject area, but didn't go to any training (didn't find out I was team leader until a few weeks ago), so it is kind of like flying blind.  This new school and the teachers here are amazing, though, so as long as everyone is flexible, I think everything should go really well.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to ask you for a really long time now - do you teach science?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:d6e07891-f106-4174-90bd-9105257cf5be">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related) : I've been meaning to ask you for a really long time now - do you teach science?
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

Biology.  =)  The username came from this t-shirt: <a href="http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QW-PROF&Category_Code=QW" target="_blank">Click</a>.

Edit: Here's something on my mind: are engagement announcements ridiculously expensive in y'all's hometown newspapers?  I'm not even TRYING to run ours in the Dallas News, but even FI's hometown, which is a pretty small town, it's going to cost us a TON of money!
    Anniversary

• Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Woooah lots to catch up on!  I like the idea of daily threads.
    Good luck on dissertation docta!
    Ring Pop try not to get discouraged.  My FBIL and FSIL have a 7 month old who wouldn't sleep on his own until 5 months (otherwise he needed to be held) and two nights ago he slept through the night for the first time! Think about that! It'll come!

Not a whole lot on my mind.  Feeling kind of impatient today for the wedding.  I think I just feel like I'm in a rut right now.  I've been workin 50 hours a week and my job sucks.  I just wish it was September so I could start teaching!  I also stumbled across a deal of a lifetime on a duplex for rent which made me sad because it was a great deal but they are looking for people to move in Oct, and we won't start looking for places for the two of us until at least next spring so that it's closer to the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Docta- Have fun tomorrow!!!   I remember I was sorta nervous for the first couple of slides...  and then it was great.   The closed was even fun (even though I was totally drained by the end)!  

I have all the nerves/arteries/glands/muscles/bones of the face/deep cheek on my mind today. Just had to go through them 5 times with groups of anatomy students.   And next is lunch and "easy" paper revisions for my big post-doc paper... and then lecture notes for the fall course I am course director of and reviewing another paper and ordering things for MY lab!!  So excited about that!! And believe me... I NEVER thought I would say those things when I was done with my dissertation (esp. the teaching anatomy part).  4.5 years later I have pretty much my dream job.  There is light at the end of the post-doc tunnel :)

And I am sad that the Gloria is changing- I've had the version my church does in my head all day (no clue which one- it's the only place I've heard it like this).
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oh and as for the new mass form, I'm really bothered that we can no longer hold hands during the Our Father.  It's one of my favorite parts of mass because we are all so physically and spiritually linked.  I know everyone is still praying together but it feels so much more powerful when we all hold hands.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:8a40b266-918f-4ea5-b5b1-bbbc89fab4ae">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Docta- Have fun tomorrow!!!   I remember I was sorta nervous for the first couple of slides...  and then it was great.   The closed was even fun (even though I was totally drained by the end)!   I have all the nerves/arteries/glands/muscles/bones of the face/deep cheek on my mind today. Just had to go through them 5 times with groups of anatomy students.   And next is lunch and "easy" paper revisions for my big post-doc paper... and then lecture notes for the fall course I am course director of and reviewing another paper and ordering things for MY lab!!  So excited about that!! And believe me... I NEVER thought I would say those things when I was done with my dissertation (esp. the teaching anatomy part).  4.5 years later I have pretty much my dream job.  There is light at the end of the post-doc tunnel :) And I am sad that the Gloria is changing- I've had the version my church does in my head all day (no clue which one- it's the only place I've heard it like this).
    Posted by ellen73[/QUOTE]

Ooo, yay new lab!  I'm jumping ship for industry, hehe.

And what are the words to the Gloria you're thinking of?  If I recognize the words, I might be able to tell you which one it is (I know, I know, the words are all similar, but some of them are distinctive!).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:064c802b-5c61-4fed-80ea-3279680af14c">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and as for the new mass form, I'm really bothered that we can no longer hold hands during the Our Father.  It's one of my favorite parts of mass because we are all so physically and spiritually linked.  I know everyone is still praying together but it feels so much more powerful when we all hold hands.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I actually hate the hand-holding!  I don't know, I'm just not into hugging people, shaking hands, etc.  FI's fam is a bunch of huggers and I either awkwardly hug them, or come across as cold because I'm the only one not hugging.  But I just don't like it. 

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We hold hands even across the aisles at my parish (and exchange a lot of hugs as opposed to handshakes).  But we're pretty small and close-knit, so everybody pretty much knows everybody.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah ...I don't know, it's just not my thing lol!   At my parish, only about 30% hold hands.  My family never has. 

Whenever I go to the Outer Banks to the beach, the church there has everyone introduce themselves to each other, shake hands, etc., at the beginning.  My Dad, a super devout Catholic who never misses Mass, says that alone makes him not want to go to Mass lol.  So he tries to sneak in a little late, after the "greeting" session.  I'm not quite that bad, at least :) 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:064c802b-5c61-4fed-80ea-3279680af14c">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and as for the new mass form, I'm really bothered that we can no longer hold hands during the Our Father.  It's one of my favorite parts of mass because we are all so physically and spiritually linked.  I know everyone is still praying together but it feels so much more powerful when we all hold hands.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

My parish is big on the hand-holding.  I had no idea that wouldn't be allowed anymore.  It makes me kind of sad.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-mind-today-doesnt-catholic-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc67751e-fbe4-4eb8-94d5-9b4972b47c9bPost:dd159837-3b7b-47cd-80bd-403d4520fb66">Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's on your mind today? (Doesn't have to be Catholic-related) : My parish is big on the hand-holding.  I had no idea that wouldn't be allowed anymore.  It makes me kind of sad.
    Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]

My feeling is that not everyone will pay attention to that guideline ;).

And Resa, if your dad ever needs to visit Cleveland for any reason, he should avoid my parish, cause, uh, we do that too :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards