Catholic Weddings
Options

We have a mentor couple and EE weekend scheduled, yay!!

So at my parish, there's a huge waiting list for mentor couples (good problem to have, eh?) and since my fiance and I were engaged well in advance of our wedding date, we were at the bottom of the list.  Our deacon told us to wait until after wedding season for a couple and we just got a call at the end of last week with our assignment!  Hooray!

And we also got our EE weekend scheduled for over my fiance's winter school break... but they misspelled his last name.  Although I'm all for changing my name, I will miss my easy and simple maiden name that is never misspelled or mispronounced :)

Re: We have a mentor couple and EE weekend scheduled, yay!!

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yay!  its a great feeling when stuff starts to come together.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's great news!  We also registered at the church way early, but when we knew we wanted to get married, we knew! :P
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_mentor-couple-ee-weekend-scheduled-yay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:cc691970-4285-4f44-9e31-293b9e6fba3cPost:10605917-b5bb-4b51-8da8-680fe47065d2">We have a mentor couple and EE weekend scheduled, yay!!</a>:
    [QUOTE] And we also got our EE weekend scheduled for over my fiance's winter school break... but they misspelled his last name.  Although I'm all for changing my name, I will miss my easy and simple maiden name that is never misspelled or mispronounced :)
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

I know!  I went from an easy to spell, easy to pronounce last name to a much longer, difficult to spell and pronounce last name.  But I'm still thrilled to be Mrs. [NewLastName]!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats. We did our EE weekend last weekend and we really enjoyed it. It brought us closer together and made our relationship stronger. Just a heads up, I would contact them about misspelling your FI's last name becuase that's the name they'll use to type on the certificate they give you at the end of the weekend.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • Options
    LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YAY, we just did our EE weekend this past weekend and it was an amazing experience.

Our parish doesn't require mentor couples...what does that entail? Just curious :)
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't think every parish does mentor couples.  We did not have a mentor couple as part of our pre-marital prep.
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think every parish has them, either!  I know for ours, since it's open for any catholics in the Archdiocese to get married there, the deacon and pastor would go crazy if they had to meet for 5+ hours with each couple that gets married there since they're booked solid with weddings from Easter through Advent.  They usually sit down with the couple and do the pre-cana inventory of some sort (FOCCUS or PREPARE), discuss the results and typically offer mentoring or guidance to the couple depending on their relationship.  If you and your fiance are interested in it... I think that some parishes will allow you to do preparation there (even if you aren't getting married there) for a fee or donation.  My parent's parish has a lot of mentor couples and not enough people getting married there, so I'm sure that parishes like that would be more than happy to help out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!! I just had my EE weekend this past weekend, and it was really lovely.  FI and I actually liked it so much that we're highly considering being a team couple for the Diocese.  You're going to have an amazing time!  I would just recommend that you don't have anything planned the Sunday when you come home.  You'll need a nap!
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I both took naps and just took it easy for the rest of the day Sunday after ours! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, on Sunday after EE, H slept while I relaxed until I had the energy to cook dinner for us, then he went back to his home and probably just went to sleep again.  The days of EE are full, and if you have a full-time job, that weekend is sort of like a continuation of the work-week.  It's not "like work," but the hours certainly are! 

I think my priest would like to have a mentor couple program going, even though there aren't many weddings that take place at our parish.  When H and I have been married longer, I'd love to participate.  We already signed up to offer up prayers to the EE couples in our archdiocese.
  • Options
    BrideBling82BrideBling82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on you EE sign up. I just got a call last friday and we're scheduled for the weekend before Valentine's Day. My sister got married 10 years ago and this wasn't offered to her....she had bi-weekly classes with the priest that married her. So this is totally new to my family...I'm looking forward to it hopefully I have a good experience too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we LOVED our EE weekend :-) I hope you have a great time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards