Catholic Weddings
Options

Invitation wording

I'm double checking my wording on the invite, I don't like anything too "preachy" so tell me what you think.

Cecilia and
Bobby
invite you to share a day of happiness
when they exchange marriage vows
and ask God's blessings
as they begin their new life together on
 Saturday, the twenty-first of April,
two thousand twelve
at one o’clock in the afternoon
Basilica of San Albino

Re: Invitation wording

• Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Is this a Mass? And, are you interested in the "proper" wording for Catholic wedding ceremonies? Or just want to check that yours is ok?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we are having a mass. But I do not like the "honor of your presense" etc for wording. We're keeping it small, mostly family and a couple of friends (50 people max) and I just want it to be more "us" rather than all the formality.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I find it a little weird that you seem to be dancing around, or even flat out avoiding, stating anything about the mass or the sacrament. To me, it trivializes the significance of the event. You're doing more than just asking for God's blessings, you're being bestowed the graces of the sacraments of matrimony and eucharist.

This is nothing to do with personal style preference for a formal or casual sounding invite. To me, it just sounds kind of dumbed down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, people should know its going to be a mass.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, people need to know it's a Mass. What about instead of "a day of happiness" you say "a joyful Eucharistic celebration"
    ?
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    this invite does not express at all that you are receiving a sacrament or that you are having mass.   those things arent "preachy", they are reality.

how about:

Celia
    and
    Bobby
    Invite you to share in the celebration of the nuptial mass and witness their vows as they receive the sacrament of holy matrimony
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards