Catholic Weddings
Options

Old Testament Reading

Ladies,
Need help fast (wedding is 10 days away and I have to get programs printed!).  I was raised methodist (still am) and my fiancee is Catholic.  We originally chose Tobit 8: 4b-8 as our Old Testament Reading.  Last week, I asked my mom to proof read the program and she said "I've never heard of Tobit" and then our reader last night (also Protestant) said "Is Tobit in the Bible?".  So, much research today and now I'm torn.  I love the passage, but I don't want to offend half the people who will be at the wedding who don't believe this is really part of the Bible.  Should we just switch to a different reading?

Re: Old Testament Reading

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope! Keep it - it is completely legit!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Their ignorance does not make you wrong, and anyway it's a silly thing to be offended about, IMO. If you love the passage, use it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using the same passage.  Use it.  Who cares if they've never heard of it... God has.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if they haven't heard of it, it's a beautiful passage that I think most Christians would appreciate -- even if it's not in "their" Bible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Regarding the history of the Greek Old Testament (incl. Tobit) in the Protestant Bible, they were mainly taken out because they were not in the Jewish holy text.  One fact particularly interesting to those Protestants who feel "offended" at the Apocrypha is that Martin Luther was himself unsure of which books were worthy of inclusion, and nevertheless had respect for even those books that he decided were non-canonical.  To quote Wikipedia (an easy source since I don't have my guide to the Reformation handy): "They were not listed in the table of contents of his 1523 Old Testament, and they were given the well-known title: "Apocrypha: These Books Are Not Held Equal to the Scriptures, but Are Useful and Good to Read" in the 1534 Bible."  (Italics mine - Wiki entry for "Luther Bible")

If anyone protests, just let them know that there is a long tradition of grappling with the "canon" of the Bible, but that nevertheless the messages contained in these books are clearly in line with Judeo-Christian teachings. 

Would a Jew have a fit if he or she went to a Christian wedding and heard a reading from Matthew?  Probably not.  If a Catholic were to attend a Protestant service with communion, should they raise a stink about transubstantiation?  No.  Likewise, your family should be respectful of your beliefs, and open themselves to the lessons of a good text regardless of their view of it as inspired by God.
    After five years he finally asked! Wedding Countdown Ticker imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs... definitely keep it.  It is really a beautiful reading that ties in Genesis and prayerfully entering into the sacrament of marriage!!  That's why fi and I chose it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say keep it, if you're ok with it.  I see from the OP that you're Methodist, so it wouldn't be in your bible, your mom's bible, or your non-Catholic reader's bible.

I love the Tobit readings (and so does my fiance, which is why we're using it), but I think the most important thing is that you and your fiance love the Tobit reading and that you are both cool with using scripture that does not come from your own religious tradition.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lurker here.  DH and I  used the same verses in our Episcopal ceremony.  DH's mom was confused we we told her that it was going to be our OT reading.  Our Reverend told us that a lot of people just aren't familiar with the Apocrypha.  Frankly, that didn't matter to me because it's a beautiful passage.

I have the New Oxford Annonated Bible for study at home (too big to carry around!), and it contains the Apocryphal books. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards