Catholic Weddings
Options

WWYD?

I just realized that it's my turn to host a weekly luncheon with some of my friends next week - on Wednesday. Now, obviously I'm not fasting this year, and no one else coming is Catholic, buti still feel kind of squicky about hosting a food-centered gathering on a day of fasting. Would you move it to Monday, or am I being weird about this?
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    I'd move it. It may inspire others.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'd move it too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd move it, but then again... why are you not fasting? (are you pregnant? thats the only reason I can think that you'd mention you weren't fasting.) If that's the case, then I guess that since no one else is Catholic maybe it's not such a big deal to go ahead as planned, and just do some other penance-type stuff, like eat extra-simple food for the rest of the day on your own or something.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yes, I'm pregnant. I think I'll just try to get everyone together Monday instead. Seems safest.
  • Options
    im so bad about fasting, so correct me if im wrong.

when you fast, you are to have one meal and two smaller meals that together do not equal the size of the one meal, right?  so couldnt your lunch be your one main meal? 

the bigger thing id be concerned with is having enough non-meat items.

if you have concerns, rather than move it, id simply swap weeks with someone else and hopefully they will understand.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d5b48845-2700-4a62-834d-e66da7bee7ecPost:7cd00b32-5ccd-4a15-9560-e6e43bf9c4e4">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]im so bad about fasting, so correct me if im wrong. when you fast, you are to have one meal and two smaller meals that together do not equal the size of the one meal, right?  so couldnt your lunch be your one main meal?  the bigger thing id be concerned with is having enough non-meat items. if you have concerns, rather than move it, id simply swap weeks with someone else and hopefully they will understand.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

<div>This is correct. But the "regular" meal, in the spirit of the season/day is not really conducive to a celebratory feast. I think its more about honoring the spirit of the day. Not that is necessarily what this gathering is about, but anyway...</div><div>
    </div><div>Our youth minister has a gathering of the 8th graders at the catholic grade school at 7 AM every Wed. morning with donuts/juice. For awhile, he continued it on Ash Wednesday. I know they aren't of the required fasting age, but to me, it still doesn't go with the spirit of the season: Welcome to Lent: have a donut! Last year he changed to bagels for that day and I think that was a good idea. (some of the kids might not eat breakfast when counting on the food)</div>
  • Options
    If I was going to keep it on Wednesday, I'd just do veggie lasagna and salad. I just don't like the idea of eating my one meal in the middle of the day and then having toast while H eats legit dinner. I like to eat with him :) My concern is less for the letter of the law and more, like Carrie said, for the spirit of the season. It's a day that marks our entry into a solemn season, so having a party seems like missing the point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards