Catholic Weddings

Communion: Did/Are you do both at your wedding?

Re: Communion: Did/Are you do both at your wedding?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

the latin doesnt usually offer both - at least the ones i've attended.

ive actually never taken the wine/blood.  ive never understood the necessity.

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since we're sort of on the topic, I grew up going to churches that did not offer wine usually.  I've attended some churches that have it, but I've only tried it a couple of times.  My main reason is this: I was taught not to chew the host.  I don't really like the idea of taking wine from a common cup if everyone's mouth is still full.  How do people manage with this?

(Sorry for the threadjack)
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there is no rubric against chewing the host.

Can I ask that the poll words be changed? It isn't wine and bread any longer, it is the body and blood,  or at least the host and cup.

edited December 2011
    yes, i was always taught not to chew either.  i am troubled when i see people chomping down on it.

the germs is the biggest reason i avoid the cup.  but again, even one crumb of the host still has the same "god content" as the entire host and or a sip or gallon of the wine. so again, ive never understood the necessity of having both.
    edited December 2011
    There isn't a "neessity" to have both species. It is a fuller sign. No less divinity, not one or the other of body and blood, simply a fuller sign. The sign of the two is the fact that a body apart from blood is dead. The priest must consecrate both and consume both for the mass to be licit.

Catholics have sacraments, which are by design..."sensual" The engage the senses.... vestments should be "touchable", incense, music, etc.

It is completely allowed to chew the host, so no one needs to feel bad when they see it.
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I received both the body and blood at our wedding, but only offered hosts to the guests.  I actually would have prefered to offer both forms to our guests.  However, whenever we tried to pin down details of the ceremony with our priest before the wedding, he just kept on telling us we would work it out at the rehearsal.  The rehearsal ended up being fairly chaotic and the distribution of communion was one of the details that we didn't get pinned down. 
  • edited December 2011
    H and I received both at our wedding.

And ditto agapecarrie on not needing to receive both the body and the blood in order for it to count as a sacrament.

• edited December 2011
    I imagine that we will both receive both species at the wedding. Any mass I've been to at my parish and any mass I've attended with the priest who is celebrating has had both species.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We had both. I did not take the blood. I never have. I'm not comfortable with it.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have never taken the blood either.  It wasn't offered when I was  very young and I even dislike anyone other than a priest handling the host.  Wine from a cup someone else has been sipping from?  Not in this life!

Might not be rational but that's it.
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest gave us the body and blood - but didn't offer wine to the guests. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!

Agapecarrie - I can't change the poll :( It won't let me for some reason. I did add the part above the poll though. I realized my mistake when I typed it.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what my FI is going to receive during the mass, but I'm going to only receive the blood because I am allergic to the body.  The wafer has wheat in it and we have discussed substituting the blood because I don't want to bring a gluten-free wafer into the ceremony - I'm not even sure the priest would bless it.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers BFP #1 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12 ~ BFP #2 4/5/2012
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Christ is fully present... body, blood, soul and divinity in either the body or blood at Eucharist!  I normally receive both, but either is the whole sacrament still.  We're just offering the body to guests, but both my FH and I will be receiving both.
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our parish for weddings they always do both for the priest and the bridal couple, they then only offer the body for everyone else at the wedding.  So this is what we did.

At non-wedding masses, my parish always offers both the body and precious blood, but I usually only receive the body as it really is only necessary to receive under one species.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't sure if we could do both for us and then the body for the guests. Thank you! Nice to hear how everyone else has/is having it at their wedding.
    edited December 2011
    The wafer has wheat in it and we have discussed substituting the blood because I don't want to bring a gluten-free wafer into the ceremony - I'm not even sure the priest would bless it.

doubtful.  i believe the host has to have a very specific make up.  there was a story a few years ago abotu a woman trying to sue the diocese because they wouldnt give her daughter a gluten free host (even though wine was offered). 
    edited December 2011
    There are gluten free hosts.... we have them at my parish. They are made with the correct materials...approved matter for the Eucharist.

• edited December 2011
    They actually make approved gluten-free hosts. My parish has a special procedure for consecrating and distributing them to people who cannot have gluten, and I doubt that the priests at my church would do it if it were totally impermissible.

That said, I repeat what others have said in that receiving either species is "complete" and there is no reason to feel compelled to take both, if both are offered.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    The body and blood are combined in ours. I never know the right word for it. So obviously we and our guests got both.

A question for those of you who do not take the blood: Would you take Communion in an eastern church? The priest is very careful about not letting the spoon touch anyone's mouth, but I'm sure there's a toddler in there every once in a while that closes their mouth or moves. I've thought about that, but I don't know why it doesn't bother me so much. Desensitization?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    bel, the communion is given on a spoon?  is it a host or the blood? 

if i had to share a spoon with people, i probably wouldnt take it.  im so freaked by germs.  haha
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_communion-did?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d5d622c6-18e7-4006-bee9-ef9e04b2a974Post:0a50955b-7030-4c45-a9e3-613c17bb6f0e">Re: Communion: Did/Are you do both at your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The body and blood are combined in ours. I never know the right word for it. So obviously we and our guests got both. A question for those of you who do not take the blood: Would you take Communion in an eastern church? The priest is very careful about not letting the spoon touch anyone's mouth, but I'm sure there's a toddler in there every once in a while that closes their mouth or moves. I've thought about that, but I don't know why it doesn't bother me so much. Desensitization?
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

Toddlers get communion in the eastern church? Interesting.

No I probably wouldn't. And whats funny is I am FAR from a germaphobe. But this is one thing that bothers me.
  • AwayWeGo08AwayWeGo08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be taking both and offering both to our guests as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it's given on a small golden spoon. Only the priest distributes it, so there's no EMs either. I always thought it was neat because the prayer the priest says while distributing is personalized so the priest at least knows the name of everyone in the parish. It's leavened too, so you really do have to chew it if you don't want to choke. You are given communion at the time of baptism. You are also chrismated (confirmed). So children of any age can be given communion, even if they are visiting a Roman parish. I believe it was done this way in the early Roman church as well, but don't hold me to that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    When I attend the 7:00 "Wayfarers" mass at one on the local churches, they use a very sweet type of Hungarian bread for communion.  I'm not crazy about the taste and usually try to go to another mass to avoid that.

Interesting about toddlers having communion.  I guess I can't think of any real reason why they shouldn't as they probably have the purist souls of any one of us.
  • edited December 2011
    We always take both...I'm not concerned about germs since it's the Blood of Christ. It's been a visceral part of the Eucharist for me since I entered the Church three years ago.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_communion-did?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d5d622c6-18e7-4006-bee9-ef9e04b2a974Post:9d0220a1-7e60-45b5-a383-15fab702f760">Re: Communion: Did/Are you do both at your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We always take both...I'm not concerned about germs since it's the Blood of Christ. It's been a visceral part of the Eucharist for me since I entered the Church three years ago.
    Posted by lmeade62[/QUOTE]

I think you mean "vital"

Remember, the substance of any germs (or theoretically poison) that would be present in the blood of Christ does not change, only the substance of the wine.

I've never heard of anyone getting sick from it, not that it could be traced...

but there is alcohol in the "wine" too
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you to the ladies that gave advice regarding the wheat in the body.  I spoke with my priest and he said we would only do the blood for myself.  I'm from a small area and it's near impossible to find good gluten-free food as it is and even harder to find people that know what I'm talking about in regards to GF foods.  So, I didn't have high expectations of receiving the body to begin with. 

Thank again!
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers BFP #1 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12 ~ BFP #2 4/5/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards