Catholic Weddings
Options

Alcohol Wedding Reception?

I haven't asked my parish priest yet...but we are having our reception in the church basement. Do you think they would allow us to have alcohol at the reception? I'm not talking anything to crazy...just champagne for mimosa's and champagne/wine for a toast?
Do you know if Catholic Churches allow that?

Re: Alcohol Wedding Reception?

• Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I don't know, but I would guess their only concern would be people who would drink too much. If it is just for a toast, I imagine it wouldn't be a big deal--this is the Church that serves wine at mass!

You might offer to hire a security guard to set their mind at ease.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about that one, but I would just ask. It can't hurt. If that was something that was important to you, you should have had asked before you booked it. I ditto what Jay + Marissa said bc I have heard of that before, some venues requiring you to provide parking lot security.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The church I went to growing up used to have alcohol at church functions, so I'm sure some churches allow it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My first wedding was in a Catholic church.  We did not have the reception on the church property.  However, I remember reading about it in the information from the church.  They allowed beer and wine, no liquor.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My church hosts parties in their basement all the time, and I've seen people - including the pastor - drinking beer, wine and hard liquor. (Not all at once, of course :P)

So call your parish and ask. Rules might be different from church to church.
  • Options
    wparsons1223wparsons1223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is more a State/Local regulation as opposed to a Catholic regulation. It depends on your local liquor laws. For example, we can provide alcohol (provide wine, champagne, open bar, etc.) but we can't sell it. So no closed bar.  The priest should be able to answer your question.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That totally depends on the church. I've seen churches that have functions with kegs at them.  And then other churches have strict rules that you can't even bring ANY food and beverage in, let alone alcohol. So, really, you should contact the. 
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My church use to allow alcolhol at wedding receptions until they had some people drink too much and leave beer cans on the altar so now they do not allow it.  However at other church functions they usually have wine and sometimes beer.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards