Catholic Weddings
Options

Question(s) of the Day

I am pretty bad at coming up with thought-provoking questions, so this is all I got:

Any big summer plans?  I know many of you work year-long jobs, but that doesn't mean we can't take advantage of the warm weather!
Anniversary

Re: Question(s) of the Day

• Options
    Do we all get to ask a question? Or just answer yours?

Well, I'll do both ;-)
    Big summer plans? Not really... vacation with DH and my family should be fun, but that's all so far.

Here's my question... Why am I soooooo tired? {yawn} I got like 9 hours of sleep last night! Undecided
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Lots of wedding planning!  No vacation this year, except when I go to Maine for a bridal shower.  We also have three other weddings within a month period (from two weeks before our wedding to two weeks after our wedding) so I am sure it will be jam packed with lots of prewedding parties.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Gee idk, getting married I guess ;)
    And the honeymoon! Yay! I can't wait.

FI's family also goes to Canada every year on a weeklong fishing trip in August.  I am planning on going this year. I can't wait!
  • Options
    My summer will also consist of wedding planning, wedding parties, and getting married! And, of course, our HM.  Can't wait!  We're going to the Beach (in NC)!

Lalaith, where are you going on vacation?

• Options
    Lala, I kind of hoped someone would come up with a more interesting question than I did, so I imagine lots of questions can be asked.  ;)  Also, I left our dogs at our house and I am staying in my (empty) apartment for one more week for final exams.  I love my dogs and I was super lonely last night, but it was wonderful to sleep until like 6:45 and not have to rush downstairs to take them outside!

Ciarda, I totally feel you there.  This seems to be THE YEAR for our friends to get married.  We've got three weddings on consecutive weekends in October, and all of them are OOT.  Fortunately one of them is actually only going to be an hour away from where we're moving, so we might even be able to just stay at our own house!

Chelsea -- EEEEE!

We don't have any huge summer plans.  I think we're hoping to swing a trip to SC to see H's best friend, but otherwise I just want to spend my time at antique stores and garage sales looking for awesome furnishings for our new house.  =)  This will be the first year in a long time that I don't have summer school or camps or something.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Resa- Northern Michigan. (At this point I would pull out my hand to show you :-P )
    The northern part of the lower peninsula, but the opposite side from Traverse City (which is where everyone seems to go...)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    wedding, honeymoon, thank-you notes, being married!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Just wedding, honeymoon, and relaxing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, here's another question:

If you could go back and take one class in college (related or unrelated to your current field), what would it be?

I would take more physics and environmental science classes!  I wish I had the time to do community college classes now, just to learn more!
    Anniversary

• Options
    First question - no big plans for the summer, we have two other weddings to attend, so we're keeping our other travel to a minimum to save for our own in October.

College - I wish I hadn't felt such pressure to pick a major right away, and would've just taken a bunch of generals my first year.  I had a scholarship that covered the costs of all books/supplies for my first year, and I wasted it a lot of it taking interior design classes when I could've used it for the more expensive science/lab/computer, etc.  Not to knock interior design at all, but it is nothing related to what I ended up doing, so those classes were pretty much a waste of time. 

I also wish I hadn't been too chicken to study abroad somewhere for a semester. 
  • Options
    Good question.  Looking back, and considering the line of work I went into, it would have been useful to take an economics class or something, but I probably wouldn't have liked it lol. I took a lot of artsy classes on the side -- drawing, music theory, theatre, dance -- so I didn't have room to take many other out-of-major classes.  I wouldn't have given up my arts classes, though!

• Options
    Oh you know, get married, go on our honeymoon... just the usual summer stuff... LOL oh and look for a job. There have been 2 school districts with postings so I'm going to send them my application. I really wish the education environment would turn around and fast, not having a job is the only cloud over my summer...

As for the college class, I would love to take a class in event planning. I used to think it would be cool to get paid to plan weddings and other events, and since planning my own I really, really want to get into it. I'm excited to finally be married, but I'm also sad that this whole process is coming to an end!! I don't know what I will do with myself when I don't have to plan craft store trips or rearrange my ever growing wedding stockpile to fit my new purchases!
  • Options
    Any big summer plans?  I know many of you work year-long jobs, but that doesn't mean we can't take advantage of the warm weather!

I am a teacher so I have the summer off. I am currently working on my Master's classes so I am doing pretty much nothing but working on papers and exams. At least it is in my pajamas, right? My husband surprised me with a new car for our anniversary so we are planning many little day trips and a big trip (no idea where to yet though) when my classes are over at the end of July. 

As for the college classes, I would want to take more comparative religions classes. I enjoyed the ones I had in college and it really helped me strengthen my faith by knowing what others believe and I found it interesting to see how they all fit together.
  • Options
    Well, I didn't think the first question was terrible, so I'll answer it!  :)

My FI and I actually already went on our trip for the summer.  We went to Cali a couple weeks ago for 5 days and it was sooooo fun (we'd never been).  It's kind of a bummer now though because the fun trip is done and now we have nothing to look forward to.

As for the second question, I double majored in undergrad (history and theology), so I didn't have room for any electives at all.  Just the required amount of courses.  I wish I could have taken some of the more interesting theology classes.  We had a Marian theology class and a Theology of the Body class that would have been fun.

In grad school, I wish I could have taken one class related to my actual concentration in history.  We only had one professor of german history at my school, and she only taught one class for the 2 1/2 years I was there (she was on sabbatical the rest of the time).  And I couldn't take that one class because of a scheduling conflict. Very frustrating.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I got a BS, so plenty of science, including 1 semester physics and econ, definitely didn't want any more of that. Wish I would've done more arts. I used to be so creative, and feel I've lost a lot of that skill. Problem with a lot of the art classes I did take was they were more art in theory than hands on. I would love to take an art class now, just for fun. I really am going to need a hobby when all of this wedding stuff is over. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    First Question -
    Like a lot of you my summer plans revolve around getting married and entertaining all my family who are traveling for the event. About 2 weeks after we get back from the wedding (just doing 2 nights in a bed and breakfast and will do a bigger trip during the winter for our honeymoon), I leave for a scientific conference where I am presenting a poster. So I have about a month to get all my data together for this meeting before I start wedding vacation time.

Question #2 -
    Overall I was pretty happy with the variety of classes I was able to take during my undergrad. But if I have to pick, I would have liked to take a comparative religion or theology class, I think that would have been interesting. Also for something that would be useful for me now, it would have been nice to take a bioinformatics class in college. It also would be cool to know how to program.
  • Options
    EEEEEEE for all the summer weddings! Yay!

Question #1 -- I have to work through the end of June. The LO arrives in mid-July, so that leaves a couple of weeks for popsicle eating before she gets here. I figure she'll dominate the second half of summer. ;) In the mean time, I have to finish getting stuff ready, a shower, a wedding, a friend's baby shower, and some family stuff to keep me plenty busy.

Question #2 -- Linguistics, and probably Latin. I eat that  stuff up. I ended up with almost 50 foreign language credits -- I wish I had taken on a second major that united the 2 I had as minors and linguistics (it was possible at my school; it ended up being a BA in something that sounded lame, so really only ok for a second major!). Alas, c'est la vie.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Summer: In two weeks I'm taking my FI to CT to meet my extended family on my dad's side, just a short weekend trip.  I'm excited, but I know he is nervous (my family is way larger and louder than his, and it will be his first commercial airplane flight).  In July we will drive to Augusta to meet my mother's parents, which will also be nerve wrecking since they can be a little snobby, but I figured it was better to get all the family stuff out of the way before the wedding weekend!  I'm going to go to Boston over Labor Day for a girls weekend since most of my college friends (and 2 BMs) still live there.  Oh, and continue wedding planning.

College: I would take astronomy, you just don't have access to that kind of knowledge or equipment in "the real world."
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:dcccc25f-6a26-4bd1-8f40-2b657ee810abPost:b5e93f97-171d-41c2-9907-c19664b79541">Re: Question(s) of the Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Question #2 -- Linguistics, and probably Latin. I eat that  stuff up. I ended up with almost 50 foreign language credits -- I wish I had taken on a second major that united the 2 I had as minors and linguistics (it was possible at my school; it ended up being a BA in something that sounded lame, so really only ok for a second major!). Alas, c'est la vie.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

Linguistics was my major...and usually the response when I say so is either *blank stare* or "so you must speak a ton of languages, right?!?!?"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As far as college goes, I am currently going back earning a second degree in my early 30's.  My first degree was history and secondary education but I didn't want to be a teacher.  I had no clue what I wanted to do.  I love history but I wish I had majored in a more practical field with better job prospects.  I am currently back in school for Health Information Technology.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:dcccc25f-6a26-4bd1-8f40-2b657ee810abPost:48e25f64-dc37-4c6e-a6c1-db7f19318570">Re: Question(s) of the Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]As far as college goes, I am currently going back earning a second degree in my early 30's.  My first degree was history and secondary education but I didn't want to be a teacher.  I had no clue what I wanted to do.  I love history but I wish I had majored in a more practical field with better job prospects. <strong> I am currently back in school for Health Information Technology.
    </strong>Posted by Ciardasully[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a lot of fun.  I've actually thought about going back and getting some kind of minor medical certification or even something big like a nursing degree.  If I can't find a teaching job in OK I MIGHT be able to convince H that we can afford it.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:dcccc25f-6a26-4bd1-8f40-2b657ee810abPost:14465d62-c324-4572-9203-2a03cb6f4948">Re: Question(s) of the Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question(s) of the Day : This sounds like a lot of fun.  I've actually thought about going back and getting some kind of minor medical certification or even something big like a nursing degree.  If I can't find a teaching job in OK I MIGHT be able to convince H that we can afford it.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Right now I work in a cancer registry.  We abstract all the information on cancer cases to send to the federal and state governments.  I have seen a lot of interesting stuff.  My degree I am working towards is more general but it is a good field to be in.  Lots of employement opportunities.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards