Catholic Weddings
Options

Questions :)

1.  What are two things you wish would improve/get more attention/get more funding within your diocese/parish, and what should be done about them?
2.  What is something you think your parish does really well?

Re: Questions :)

• Options
    1.  What are two things you wish would improve/get more attention/get more funding within your diocese/parish, and what should be done about them?
    I wish my diocese was a little more involved in NFP.  My Creighton instructor has reached out to some priests to try to get them to include her contact information in the bulletin/website, and hasn't had luck.  My diocese really only pushes CCL NFP, which is great, but it would be nice if they offered more options and more info. 
    Another way I think they could improve would be to go back to teaching real stuff of substance instead of watered-down religious ed.  The kids deserve to really know about their faith beyond "Jesus loves you."  Especially where kids are often growing up WAY too fast these days, it's a shame we treat them like pre-schoolers in 8th grade, you know? We need to help them form a good moral compass so they can navigate through the peer-pressure all around them.
    My parish has a really structured and popular youth group.  I think it's great that the teens have so many opportunities to get involved, from sports to music to theatre to just hanging out.   It's good for kids to have the chance to hang out with other Catholics, and it's also good for kids to see cool, fun adults who are also devout Catholics.

• Options
    1) I second the wish for more outreach for couples to learn NFP and making classes available. I've had such a hard time finding someone to teach Creighton!

I also wish that there were more outreach and fundraising for the neighboring city. If you look up Benton Harbor, MI you can see pretty instantly that it's a city with tons of problems and has a huge need for help in just about every area: soup kitchens, food drives, neighborhood cleanup, etc. St Joseph is right next to them and it's like night and day. So sad. They really out to reach out across the river and do more.

2) Our parish is AWESOME at school fundraising, helping families in need, and providing assistance to the sick/ injured. They really rise to the occasion and it's so inspiring!
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    1) I second the need for more depth in religious education and confirmation programs.  Our bishop asks questions to the candidates during confirmation and everyone thinks it is funny when the student can't list something as simple as the sacraments, but it sickens me (the bishop always confirms the candidate anyway). 

2) I think they have good music at the 5 pm vigil, but I could be biased since I play the flute at that mass (and have convinced FI to start playing guitar/singing for it too!).
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    I would like to see more targeted specifically as young married couples and young families. Technically, I know, they fall under the category of Young Adult -- and our YA programs are improving -- but the needs are different. For example, with a LO, my lifestyle is more condusive to family picnic than Theology on Tap.

I have not yet seen any children's chatecetical materials, but if they're like everyone says, they need a major reboot. I think you can teach the Truth in an age-appropriate manner. For example, Jesus loves you is appropriate for pre-school, but by junior high, kids are ready for some hard-hitting reality, some real theology, and need serious support and guidance to navigate the teen years.

My parish and my diocese are both amazing with pro-life issues. They are amazing promoters of NFP. They really love families, recognizing that they are the natural result of a Pro-Life mentality.

They are also really good at providing adult catechesis opportunities. There are all these adult formation programs available, and the number is growing, which I think is wonderful. They are all about the New Evangelization and finding ways to reach and form people in the faith.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:e26220fd-2539-4d4e-8762-e98691073a06Post:c27cf37d-30c6-4581-b414-f8233194a26e">Questions :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  What are two things you wish would improve/get more attention/get more funding within your diocese/parish, and what should be done about them? 2.  What is something you think your parish does really well?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>1) I know our diocese is stretched pretty thin and doesn't really have a lot of extra money to go around... but I think that they could work on their online presence and making sure their nice new(er) website is updated more regularly and kept current.  I don't actually get to my home parish regularly anymore because it's pretty far away from where we live now, but their basement facilities for meetings and parish gatherings aren't the greatest... I know they have to pour most of their dollars into repairing roof damage and restoring the 100-yr old organs.  The parish that we usually attend that is closer by is frustrating in the general suburban atmosphere, lack of reverence and so-so liturgical music.</div><div>
    </div><div>2) What we do like about the parish we most regularly attend now is the great number of community outreach opportunities, faith formation for all ages, perpetual Eucharistic adoration and friendly parishioners... if we end up settling here, the less than ideal characteristics don't really outweigh the good.  Our (technically) current parish has an awesome and very active young adult group as well as women's group, young moms, men's group, KoC, community service, etc.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards