Catholic Weddings

What's up?

How was your weekend?  Anything exciting going on? 

Does anyone here dress up for Halloween?  It's H's fav holiday, so we'll be going to a few parties I'm sure.  We've decided to go as a cat (me) and mouse (him).  Should be easy enough -- black pants, black shirt, ears and a tail.  I always want to do something really big and cool and amazing, but I don't want to spend $300 on a costume, and I can't sew...soooo yeah.  We'll go with simple this year.

Re: What's up?

• We posted a what up/GM thread at the same time - great minds think alike!

FI and I have done pretty well with dressing up for Halloween since we've been dating.  First year we did beer wench/lederhosen, year two was Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox (took lots of DIY on my part for the Babe costume, but it was pretty cheap overall since we mostly bought stuff at a thrift store or craft place), and last year we did Robin Hood and Maid Marian (my dress was from a secondhand place so not too expensive, and FI's look was pretty cheap, but required a TON of DIY - making boot covers out of "leather" fabric, and creating a leather tunic out of an old leather coat).

We're still deciding on our costumes for this year, I want to do something fun but we won't have a lot of time to devote to making costumes with the wedding.
  • I'm not a big Halloween person. I'm not against it, but compared to how I feel about other holidays (I'm very festive!), I'm pretty low-key and almost never dress up. This year should be fun with C. She's obviously too little to care about trick-or-treating, but we'll go to a family party at my cousin's that day to celebrate with the little cuties.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm excited for having kids and dressing them up, mostly because I know H will get so into it. 

• I really like to dress up, but like Resa I struggle with the idea of spending a ton of money on a costume.  And these days it seems like the more skin you want to cover, the more expensive the costume.  I really hate that Halloween is treated as "the one day to dress like a ho" and get away with it.

We both dress up, but we've never coordinated costumes.
    Anniversary

• I am not a huge Halloween fan either.  FI and I hardly ever dress up.  I did give out candy last year but there were too many adults who showed up trick or treating and that bothered me.  Not sure if I am going to do it this year.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • edited September 2012
    I am irked by the ideas mentioned by Prof and Chiarda: the co-opting of Halloween by adults. I don't mind adults dressing up or having parties. I mind the less-cloth-on-my-costume-the-better mentality. I mind people trick-or-treating after junior high, especially adults: buy your own darn candy! I also mind teenagers who terrorize little kids in various ways because "it's funny." I'm more the carve a pumpkin, wear orange and black, and hand out candy type.

Also, Erin, I'm so glad you got your phone back (from your other thread)!

Chiarda -- ummmmmm.....Saturday is really soon! Are you ready? How are you feeling? What you do have going on this week?
  • Ciarda -- it's SO CLOSE!!!!  Ahhh!!

I don't mind adults celebrating Halloween, but I think it's really weird for adults to trick-or-treat.  That would be like adults sitting on Santa's lap...that's just weird!!!

You know what holiday I love, though?  THANKSGIVING!  I'm a little sad this year because it looks like I might have to compromise and celebrate it with H's family.  I just love my family's Thanksgiving, and don't want to miss it, you know?  But I can't be greedy about holidays, I suppose.

• are these adults who trick or treat with no kids or adults who use their 6 month old baby as a means to trick or treat?  i get really annoyed with the people that dress up their baby and bring it around, since we all know full well a 6 month old isnt eating that candy.
  • [QUOTE]since we all know full well a 6 month old isnt eating that candy.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    unfortunately, some of those parents probably ARE going to give it to the baby! :-(
    Anniversary
  • I'm also not a fan of the super skimpy costumes.  Especially here, where it's always FREEZING by the time Halloween rolls around, I think people look a little silly wearing so little clothing when there's snow on the ground.

Of all the costumes I mentioned above, one (german beer wench) had a kinda short skirt, but I still bought it because it only cost $20, and just wore shorts underneath.  All my other costumes have been pretty reasonable in terms of not being too revealing - there was definitely no way to be a "sexy" Babe the Blue Ox, that I could think of anyway, so I didn't even try that year!  

We've only dressed up to go out to a bar or party at a friend's house, but I've never even thought about trick-or-treating as an adult, that'd be weird.  I know some friends will take their new baby "trick or treating" just to a few friend's houses, mostly just to bring the baby over to visit and show off a cute costume, not to try and stockpile candy.  That I have no problem with.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-up-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:e3e345a9-99c2-43fe-8d4b-5332bfd6feecPost:e824ea6a-0af5-49a9-abef-dd01aa565088">Re: What's up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ciarda -- it's SO CLOSE!!!!  Ahhh!! I don't mind adults celebrating Halloween, but I think it's really weird for adults to trick-or-treat.  That would be like adults sitting on Santa's lap...that's just weird!!! You know what holiday I love, though?  THANKSGIVING!  I'm a little sad this year because it looks like I might have to compromise and celebrate it with H's family.  I just love my family's Thanksgiving, and don't want to miss it, you know?  But I can't be greedy about holidays, I suppose.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>YES.  I loooove Thanksgiving.  We're trying to work out who is going where for the holidays right now and I am pumped.  It looks like we might actually host Christmas with my side of the family at our house this year and I am nervous/excited!</div>
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whats-up-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e3e345a9-99c2-43fe-8d4b-5332bfd6feecPost:21dab8c0-bfd9-4e1c-8b2f-33d48d8a4a38">Re: What's up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]are these adults who trick or treat with no kids or adults who use their 6 month old baby as a means to trick or treat?  i get really annoyed with the people that dress up their baby and bring it around, since we all know full well a 6 month old isnt eating that candy.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what happened last year.  There was a couple who each had a bag and their one year old.  I wanted to say "really?"  It makes me want to stop giving out candy.  I even don't mind the high schoolers as long as they are respectful but I draw the line with adults. 
  • In Response to Re: What's up?:
    [QUOTEChiarda -- ummmmmm.....Saturday is really soon! Are you ready? How are you feeling? What you do have going on this week?
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

I am about as ready as I can be.  I do have a few last minute projects and I am trying to get through my homework for school so I have all my assignments due through next week.  (No HM till winter)  Bridesmaids and family come into town Wed and Thurs so I am really starting to get excited!
  • Yay Holidays!!

I used to love Halloween, but I feel such pressure to think of "good" costumes, even more so now that I've outgrown the "sexy [Noun]" costumes. I really loved the poofy skirt ones, with the crinoline? It's like in college, Halloween became something totally different, and I was fine with it in college, but I don't think it needs to continue beyond that time in my life. And of course, the feminist in me is embarrassed for College Me, running around as a Sexy Witch, etc., but it was fun, and I was good. :)

I hate seeing kids and teens in the sexy costumes though. I never wore anything midriff-baring (well, except dance outfits, which actually usually had a skin thing sewn into them.. anyway...) and so it astounds me to see 13 year olds in them. Sometimes I really hope I have sons.

The first year FI and I were dating, we went as Sunny and Chair :) I wore all yellow and had a headband with sunbeams, and FI wore a stadium seat. We got a lot of groans, and it was totally worth it. Last year we went as Devil (me) and Angel (him), although the night of I realized we should have gone as Devil (me) and Advocate (him) -- but it really isn't fun to dress like an attorney when you are becoming one the next year... 

No idea what we'll be/do this year. We start work Oct. 22nd so I doubt we'll do anything too huge... will likely be working... woo hoo!!!! :)

I really look forward to dressing up my kids. Any ideas what they'll go as? I always love a good, baby pumpkin, but Pinterest has soooo manyyyy cute baby-costume ideas.

I'm excited about the holidays, but simultaneously scared. We definitely won't be coming to Houston for either Thanksgiving or Christmas :( which is sad. We probably won't get to go to FI's family's either, which will be really hard on his sisters, I think, being the first Christmas without their mom. If we're able to get work off last-minute, we'll go to his family over mine, but I just don't want to plan anything when in all likelihood, we won't be able to make it anywhere. :\  I really really really want his sisters to come to NYC for Christmas but I don't think that'll happen, as they've always been in Omaha (which is exactly why I think this Christmas they should do somethign different) but I guess we'll see how that unfolds when we get there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• We don't have trick-or-treating in my town anymore, unfortunately.  FI & I will probably dress up to go to a party or 2, not sure what we'll be.  Last year, FI, myself, FI's parents, and one of FI's sisters and her friend went as a six-pack of beer.  FI's mom is great with sewing and her and FSIL made the costumes out of felt and we even walked into the party attached together with a huge piece of plastic!

We will probably take our daughter (she'll be almost 10 months for Halloween) to the halloween party that our church's Sodality has for kids because 2 of FI's sisters are currently involved with Sodality.  And also take our daughter with us when we take FI's younger siblings to trick-or-treat just at relatives houses.  FI thinks we should go as a cop, robber, and money bag!  Not sure if that will actually happen though.  I kind of want to dress up my daughter as either a puppy or as Mickey Mouse because those are 2 things that she really loves!

Next year, when our daughter can actually have candy, we will probably go trick-or-treating with my cousin and her kids in the next town over. She is taking them this year.  Her 16-month old daughter is going as a "football player" which means wearing her little Steelers jersey and a black and gold tutu my cousin is making for her. And her 4-month old son will be a football!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since FI and I started dating, we've gone to Thanksgiving together, alternating which of our families we went to each year.  We always went to our own families' places for Christmas thought.  However, this holiday season we'll be married, so we'll be going together for Christmas from now on (this year we'll do THanksgiving with my parents, so Christmas with his family).  I'm kinda sad that I won't see my family for Christmas, this will be the first time ever not being with them for Christmas.

I'm really looking forward to when we have a house and can host family for the holidays - all this driving (4 hours to either set of parents) is getting old!
  • Kristan, lots of prayers for you!

Sarahdactyl, I LOVE all the kiddie costumes I've seen on Pinterest!  My favorites are Carl from Up! and a really cute jellyfish costume!

I'm at school until 7 tonight!  Booooo!
    Anniversary

• FI and I LOVE Halloween, but I don't think I'm dressing up this year.

Now that I'm student teaching, my bed time is 10 o clock.  FI doesn't even get home until 7:30.  So that would leave us only a couple hours to dress up in costumes, watch the trick or treaters, then go home. 

Ill still go to his house for it (Halloween is the second biggest holiday for his family, after X-mas), but I can't justify spending the money.  And we never go to Halloween parties, so I can't wear one there either.

But yeah, FI and I can't wait to have kids and celebrate halloween with them!  And get our own house and decorate it!  Woooowoooooo!

SaveSave
  • Kristan, I will be praying for you!! :( 

For a while in law school, due to stress and training for a half marathon, I stopped getting my period. Although my doctor insisted I was (relatively) fine (it is better to be NOT stressed, and maybe not running as much as I was), it was still nerve-wrecking each month feeling like... "But this is supposed to happen? And it isn't? What?" So I will pray that you and your doctor find something that works for you soon!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• TXKristan, I will say a prayer for you! I've had lots of cycle wackiness, and I know how upsetting it can be. Hopefully Creighton will be a useful tool for you in diagnosing and managing anything that might be a little off.

• Late to the party, but sending prayers your way, Kristan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards