Catholic Weddings

Incense?

Does anyone know if incense is required at weddings in Mass, or if you can get an exception for health reasons?  FI and I are both asthmatic and allergic to the incense and I, at least, cannot get through an entire Mass where incense is used.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Incense?

• wparsons1223wparsons1223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never been to a Catholic Mass WITH incense. I would recommend asking your priest.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_incense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:e6c94a59-4e32-41ec-aabc-1890cd4b64fbPost:25397dbf-f389-45dc-934c-bd4b6f096f80">Re: Incense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been to a Catholic Mass WITH incense. I would recommend asking your priest.
    Posted by wparsons1223[/QUOTE]

I've only seen incense used at funeral masses but mention your problem to your priest, just in case.
  • edited December 2011
    I also had this concern, but incense is not used during weddings from what the churches have said.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

We had incense at our wedding mass, but we attend the mass in Latain and incense is used every Sunday. Definitely check with your priest as you will be up at the altar where it is most prevalent!

• bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Eastern Catholics use incense every week, so I'm used to it by now. But DH's cousin was our altar server, so we asked him to go easy for our guests.

Just ask the priest if it's required.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only see incense used once at a wedding; it was a Latin mass.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I have never seen incense at a wedding mass. Usually it is only used on holidays and funerals. I would ask though to be sure.
  • mt4sbwymt4sbwy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's good to hear.  Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_incense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e6c94a59-4e32-41ec-aabc-1890cd4b64fbPost:25397dbf-f389-45dc-934c-bd4b6f096f80">Re: Incense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been to a Catholic Mass WITH incense. I would recommend asking your priest.
    Posted by wparsons1223[/QUOTE]

Really?  I used to go to a parish that used incense during Lent, Easter, Advent, Christmas, all Holy Days of obligation, and any "special occasion" Masses like weddings, funerals, first communions and confirmations.  And for a while, I was going to mass at the cathedral, which used incense every week.  I like it, although I know some people don't. 

OP, ask your priest.  If you let him know that you have health issues, he probably will have no problem not using incense. 
  • wparsons1223wparsons1223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_incense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e6c94a59-4e32-41ec-aabc-1890cd4b64fbPost:6184b2be-9b7f-4f66-bb2e-4d0f4e2285ea">Re: Incense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Incense? : Really?  I used to go to a parish that used incense during Lent, Easter, Advent, Christmas, all Holy Days of obligation, and any "special occasion" Masses like weddings, funerals, first communions and confirmations.  And for a while, I was going to mass at the cathedral, which used incense every week.  I like it, although I know some people don't.  OP, ask your priest.  If you let him know that you have health issues, he probably will have no problem not using incense. 
    Posted by GulfCoaster[/QUOTE]

Doh! I met Catholic WEDDING Mass.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards