Catholic Weddings
Options

Remember, Wednesday is a Holy Day! . . .

. . . and if you're like DH and me, and always try to attend vigils, that means that you're getting to Mass tomorrow!  (Where did the summer go?)

Re: Remember, Wednesday is a Holy Day! . . .

• Options
    Thanks for the reminder :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, thanks!  I can always use the extra reminder!

• Options
    Does anyone else get really annoyed at the term "Holy Day of Obligation"?  I can't stand it for some reason.  I hate the word "obligation" when it comes to religion.  I don't go to church because I am obligated to. I go because I want to. And because I'm stubborn, it makes me want to protest "obligations" by not going.  I don't obviously, but it's just annoying to call it an obligation lol.
  • Options
    I get what you're saying,  but it doesn't bother me because I think it's pretty straight forward.  You are obligated as a Catholic to follow the precepts of the Church, and attending Mass on certainly Holy Days is one of those.  I probably wouldn't go to Mass tomorrow if it weren't an HDO, so yeah, I'm going because I'm obligated.  I don't look at obligations as being negative, and I don't look at obligation as being exclusive of desire.  For instance, I vowed to be faithful to my husband.   Now I'm obligated to be faithful, but it doesn't mean I don't WANT to be faithful.  KWIM?

But really, it's all semantics, and I can totally see how it can rub people the wrong way.  Just for me personally, I don't dislike it  :) 

• Options
    That's a good way to put it, Resa.  I have had thoughts similar to Chelsea's on the subject.

=( I can't find anywhere that's doing a vigil, but I did find a church that's close to my school that's doing a mass early enough that I can go and be at work on time.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I remembered it and I am going to trial at 9:00 AM.  Thankfully, my church has a 5:30 and a 7:30 mass!
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Remember, Wednesday is a Holy Day! . . .:
    [QUOTE]I remembered it and I am going to trial at 9:00 AM.  Thankfully, my church has a 5:30 and a 7:30 mass!
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

What did you do this time, oot?  ;)

I'm so fortunate I have off Wednesday.  I didn't even remember we had a holy day of obligation this week until father mentioned it at sunday mass. 

I'm always so thankful for obligatory days because I want to go to mass more often (besides sundays, of course), and I'll even make plans to start attending daily mass, but then my laziness kicks in and I don't go!  Obligatory days require me to get my lazy butt out of bed, or off the couch, and once I get there, I'm always so glad I did.

SaveSave
  • Options
    It always strikes me as odd when parishes don't have vigil/evening masses on Holy Days of Obligation -- people are obliged to go!! Make it easy on them so that they can. During the week, especially, lots of people have to work and juggle schedules that make your 8:30am or 9am daily mass unworkable. Then again, I wish more parishes had daily mass in the evenings or at times when working people could realistically make it in modern society. Scheduling is a way that I do think the Church should be flexible to societal change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards