Catholic Weddings

Responsorial Psalms Question

For our next meeting, we have to have our readings ready so I'm in the middle of choosing some for FH to look at. I asked the priest what he thought about programs (cause there really isn't a place to set them unless you set them on the pews) and he told me they aren't necesary. So how do you do responses with the congregation? Are there simple ones that I am overlooking? I've seen some couples use this time to sing or have a singer, but I don't want that. What are you doing if you aren't doing programs?

TIA

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Responsorial Psalms Question

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had programs.

However, for general ease of everyone, I picked a psalm that was relatively short with a simple melody.

If a significant number of your guests are Catholic, they'll know to repeat what your cantor sings at the right time.
  • edited December 2011
    We also did programs and I wrote the psalm in there.

Our cantor sung the responsorial. We used "Blessed are those who fear the Lord."
  • edited December 2011
    We had programs with the psalm wording (and a cantor). To be honest, though, very few people really sang besides the cantor anyway.

However, I still like programs. Depending on how familiar your guests are with Catholic ceromonies, it is usually nice to be able to read along with what's going on. I had my brother and sister-in-law hand them out as people walked in.
  • edited December 2011
    Before I was  "real" Catholic I was asked to do the responsorial psalm reading at a friends wedding.  

NO ONE responded.- not the bride, or the groom, or even the flippin priest. Talk about an awkward moment. If it wasn't such a serious thing I swear I would have asked "Can I get a response hea?!?"

I'm definitely going to do programs and I'm going to make a nice notation that everyone should RESPOND at the appropriate time. I want to really put a lot of thought into the readings and pick things that reflect our relationship, etc but if at all possible I think I'm going to pick one of the ones with 'alleluia' as the response. I think I can get everyone to say that, at least!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_responsorial-psalms-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:ee444b73-cf74-4176-b009-5955e5c6fb98Post:c3d4723c-afaa-42ee-a739-e01c373343d2">Re: Responsorial Psalms Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Before I was  "real" Catholic I was asked to do the responsorial psalm reading at a friends wedding.   NO ONE responded.- not the bride, or the groom, or even the flippin priest. Talk about an awkward moment. If it wasn't such a serious thing I swear I would have asked "Can I get a response hea?!?" I'm definitely going to do programs and I'm going to make a nice notation that everyone should RESPOND at the appropriate time. I want to really put a lot of thought into the readings and pick things that reflect our relationship, etc but if at all possible I think I'm going to pick one of the ones with 'alleluia' as the response. I think I can get everyone to say that, at least!
    Posted by threepinkroses[/QUOTE]

We were at a wedding shortly before ours that was a very beautiful wedding, but no one responded (and most poeple were Catholic).   We knew we wanted full participation, we made programs with lyrics for everything, and at the back of the programs wrote a little note.  In the note we thanked everyone for coming, and I guilted half of our guests into singing by saying "Jones's, make Uncle Jack proud!"  Our uncle had a horrible voice, yet sung super loud at all times :)  It worked! 

We also went from wanting specific mass parts, to picking ones that we knew everyone should know and would easily be able to sing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_responsorial-psalms-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:ee444b73-cf74-4176-b009-5955e5c6fb98Post:9705c745-2a54-43e6-8baf-f852fc2ae2c4">Re: Responsorial Psalms Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the note we thanked everyone for coming, and I guilted half of our guests into singing by saying "Jones's, make Uncle Jack proud!"  Our uncle had a horrible voice, yet sung super loud at all times :) Posted by ellen73[/QUOTE]

Love it :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_responsorial-psalms-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:ee444b73-cf74-4176-b009-5955e5c6fb98Post:f3f3751d-db67-40f5-a7fb-c2311c476e30">Responsorial Psalms Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]So how do you do responses with the congregation? Are there simple ones that I am overlooking? I've seen some couples use this time to sing or have a singer, but I don't want that. What are you doing if you aren't doing programs? TIA
    Posted by ally1218[/QUOTE]

We are having a cantor lead all the songs in the Mass.  At least 2/3 of our guests will be Catholic or at least familiar with the Mass, so they'll hopefully know to sing a response when the cantor raises their arm to signal their singing. 

I think it's really helpful to have a program for a full Mass so that people can follow along, even if most guests are Catholic.  As Mica also suggested above, we selected a psalm with a short and simple response and I believe that the music for the refrain will be printed in our program as well as all the parts of the mass with sung responses!  We lucked out as our wedding fee includes the programs.  If you print any actual music in your program, make sure you note the appropriate permissions or copyrights that your church uses!
  • ally1218ally1218 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the great responses! Now I have some ideas to go on. Thanks ladies. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards