Catholic Weddings
Options

My weekend starts at 4pm today!

im off tomorrow, and heading to Montreal for the weekend to see a college buddy, his wife, and their new house.  what's everyone else got on tap?

Re: My weekend starts at 4pm today!

• Options
    Haha, I'm the opposite -- school starts tomorrow, so I dive in head first!

My Big is being or has already been induced this morning!  I'm so excited for her!  She told me recently that she and her husband had a lot of struggles to get pregnant, so this is definitely a blessing from God!

I'm a little torn between going to Dallas for the weekend or staying here in OKC to see the baby and my Little, who is coming down to visit.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Prof: what sorority are you in? I got to see some of my sisters this weekend at a bridal shower for one of my pledge sisters. I missed them so much!
  • Options
    My weekend should be somewhat low-key.  H and I are house/pet sitting for his parents this weekend, so we'll be at their house (20 minutes away, so still local).  On Sun we have a baseball game to go to for my work (I love some of the social events my job entails, but this is NOT one...and I have another to go to in Sept, yuck!).  Other than that, we'll just be finishing up thank you's and hanging out with the IL's dogs!

• Options
    Montreal sounds wonderful, Calypso! That's a place that I really want to go, but haven't yet.

Resa, I have to admit, I love baseball -- so your plans sound fun, too!

Prof. -- the first day of school, especially at a new school, still makes me so nervous, and the day before is the worst! Best of luck to you. Also, yay for new babies from people you care about.

AFM -- Getting together with family today, a friend is coming to visit tomorrow. Saturday, we have to go to a memorial service. It will be our first with-baby trip out of town (2 hour drive), so it will be an adventure. C has a bad rash that made her a fuss-monster the last few days, but she has a new cream for it and seems to be doing better, so hopefully she'll do okay this weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine will start at 6 or 7 or whenever I can sneak out of the office!  I'm going to visit a college friend at her parents' lake house in South Carolina for a long weekend.  I am looking forward to some girl time!
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    Prof - good luck with the new school year!  Is it common to start on a Friday?  I don't remember ever doing that, but then again, it's been awhile :)

My weekend doesn't start until noon tomorrow - getting out of work a bit early to go with FI for his wedding suit measurements, then meeting the bridal party for my friend's wedding for pedicures.  I'm so excited for her wedding that I've been less than productive this week, and today/tomorrow will be no exception.  Good thing my boss isn't a huge stickler about my billable hours average...
  • Options
    montreal is a fun city, but toronto is better.

i went to college in burlington vt so montreal was only about an hour away - and that was pre-9-11 so you only needed a license to cross the border and they didnt ask any questions, in fact, we'd tell them we were going up to party and they'd laugh adn say have fun!  we loved it as you could drink at 18 and the night didtn even start until 11pm.  there are some great clubs and such, but then there is also the underground city, olympic park, cathedrals, etc. 
  • Options
    So ready for the weekend! I need a break! I hate getting ahead of myself and wishing time away, but I have vacation scheduled for November and I am counting the days. My cousin's daughter is turning 4 this weekend and I volunteered to make a Hello Kitty cake, fondant and all. I'm excited. I love to play with cake and fondant!
  • Options
    Omg, I can't imagine how difficult a Hello Kitty cake would be!   Then again, I'm not good at baking, so anything related intimidates me!  Post a picture when you're done, if you remember :)

• Options
    I need to get to Canada sometime!  They only place I've been is Niagara Falls (Canada's side), and there were some lovely parts outside the city.  I'd love to see more.

@Schlag--I'm jealous of your frosting skills!  I can bake a delicious cake, but it always looks disasterous because I'm not good at frosting/icing.

My weekend will start tonight at 9:30pm when I get off work.  Tomorrow, FI is going to come over and we're going to try and just relax, but I have to do some "homework" in preparation for student teaching next week, and I need to find a place that sells cheap scratch n dent washers.  I have no $ right now, but my washer is acting really funky.  It's super ancient--looks like it's from the 80's.

Saturday I have to work again, but Sunday FI and I are toying with the idea of a day trip to San Antonio.  One last little fun thing before school starts again.  We'll see!

SaveSave
  • Options
    Monkey, doesn't it suck to get to the point in life where you have to spend large amounts of money on boring things like washers?!  H and I are debating buying a Dyson, and I just keep chickening out because I can't believe I'm going to spend $400 on a vaccuum cleaner. 

• Options
    Fondant Is easier than frosting as long as you don't roll it too thin! You don't need as much of a steady hand.

I have to say I don't envy any of you going back to school. I have always loved working far beyond school. I have very thankful to have picked a field were experience outweighs formal education. I got my BA and got out!

Monkey & Calypso, enjoy your trips!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_my-weekend-starts-at-4pm-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f72bb916-5f06-4476-a2a8-5ea83a95f421Post:257233ee-3fda-4ef6-94c1-652a60a5a43e">Re: My weekend starts at 4pm today!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monkey, doesn't it suck to get to the point in life where you have to spend large amounts of money on boring things like washers?!  H and I are debating buying a Dyson, and I just keep chickening out because I can't believe I'm going to spend $400 on a vaccuum cleaner. 
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

Ugh... yes!  I need a new vacuum too, but since mine is still barely working, I won't justify buying a new one.  And I've heard great things about Dysons, so I guess the money will be well spent if you spring for it! 

It's those kinds of things though that you don't remember whenever you're figuring out your wedding budget and how much you can save until then. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_my-weekend-starts-at-4pm-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f72bb916-5f06-4476-a2a8-5ea83a95f421Post:011af65e-6f54-4c2b-8df2-4962b5c9f131">Re: My weekend starts at 4pm today!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fondant Is easier than frosting as long as you don't roll it too thin! You don't need as much of a steady hand. I have to say I don't envy any of you going back to school. I have always loved working far beyond school. I have very thankful to have picked a field were experience outweighs formal education. I got my BA and got out! Monkey & Calypso, enjoy your trips!
    Posted by schlagetermari[/QUOTE]

You know, I'm glad to hear someone say how they enjoy work more than school.  I hate it when people tell me "Enjoy school while it lasts, because work sucks!".  Work may suck, but schools sucks too.  This coming from someone who got an unnecessary masters degree.

I should try fondant, but I generally dislike the taste.  I know it would make my cakes prettier, but I'd just be peeling it off.

I actually toyed with the idea of baking my own wedding and/or grooms cakes, and taking a class on decorative frosting, but then I was like, "What, am I nuts?  Do I want to stress myself out even more before the wedding?  No thank you!"

SaveSave
  • Options
    Monkey, I hate it when people act like school is a breeze!  It's like when you're a teenager and everyone's like "enjoy it while it lasts!"  I wouldn't go back to being a teenager for anything, and I didn't have a rough time or anything.  I just enjoy the autonomy and independence of being an adult.  No one can force me to go to bed when I''m not tired.  No one can make me eat food I hate.  I can do my chores on my own schedule.  Nope, wouldn't trade it, even to have someone cover my cell phone bill, car insurance, etc.

• Options
    @ Resa--exactly, haha! 

I also tend to think that those who say "college is the best years of your life" probably didn't have their noses in the books for 10 hours a day, you know? 

Either way, I think we always have a tendency to romanticize the past.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I totally agree with you, Reesa! I loved college, but not so much the school part.
  • Options
    schlag -- I was Alpha Chi Omega.

Erin -- It's really strange to start on a Friday to me, but I kind of like it because the first day of school is pretty useless anyway...  The schools closest to my house started today.

Resa/Monkey -- H and I were THRILLED when we bought our new fridge.  It was like our first step into adulthood.  Also, fridges these days are AWESOME.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_my-weekend-starts-at-4pm-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f72bb916-5f06-4476-a2a8-5ea83a95f421Post:c944302a-6567-4825-b2a2-c03196b0a4ae">Re: My weekend starts at 4pm today!</a>:
    [QUOTE]montreal is a fun city, but toronto is better. i went to college in burlington vt so montreal was only about an hour away - and that was pre-9-11 so you only needed a license to cross the border and they didnt ask any questions, in fact, we'd tell them we were going up to party and they'd laugh adn say have fun!  we loved it as you could drink at 18 and the night didtn even start until 11pm.  there are some great clubs and such, but then there is also the underground city, olympic park, cathedrals, etc. 
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Toronto is a much cleaner city but Montreal is the most fun!  Go to Winnies!
  • Options
    what's winnies?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards