Catholic Weddings
Options

A bit odd, I guess

but I read a small article in the newspaper today that had a dateline: Dublin, Ireland

A Catholic church program had a mass notice for the week and one had had a mass request for Osama bin Laden.  A 10:00 AM weekday mass, noted for "the recently deceased"

I'm certainly not able to pass judgement on anyone but, it's odd.  I can't find any other word for it.

Tell me what you think

(I didn't see this posted before so forgive me if I duped a post)

Re: A bit odd, I guess

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    haha

brat!
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recently attended a mass at a church where a couple of the parishioners were being held by Somali pirates.  We prayed for the hostages, but we also prayed for the pirates, pitied that they felt that kidnapping and piracy was their only financial option, prayed that they would find strength and compassion and let them go.  Sadly, the young pirates got scared and killed their hostages.

So maybe, this prayer for OBL is along the same lines?

Matthew 5:43-48
     43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's perfect, mica
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oot, it strikes me as odd too, as the human instinct is to dance in the street that he is dead you know? But I think whoever decided to put in that intention is a bigger and better person than I am.....I think it's very powerful actually. 
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It makes sense to me...as hard as it can be to admit, we don't know the state of his soul at death (whether he repented at the last second.) If he did indeed repent and is among the saved, he may face an incredibly long stay in purgatory and it is only right to pray for him, especially since so few people probably will. If he is among the lost, the prayers certainly don't do any harm and perhaps God in His Mercy would apply them to other souls in purgatory.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a beautiful response to the loss of human life. I certainly don't agree with what he did, but I think we need to pray for all the dead.

I also love the passage the Mica posted. My sister and I used it in discussing this very issue last week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think this is exactly what our Church is all about. If there's anyone who needs prayers, it's someone who did what Osama Bin Laden did. I applaud that church for its courage in praying for and loving our enemies.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think I should probasbly do some praying that I can be that forgiving and so generous of heart.  Something to work on, now, not later.

Thank you ladies for your replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards