Catholic Weddings

Questions for the Priest about ceremony, precanna, etc...

So I have a list already, but I wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions for questions I should ask the preist tonight?  This is only our second meeting, but I want to make sure most of the major questions are out of the way (so MOG and MOB will be happy and stop asking me, AND so I will know what is acceptable and what isn't).  Please let me know if you have any top questions you would suggest I ask tonight.

Thanks! :)

Re: Questions for the Priest about ceremony, precanna, etc...

• edited December 2011
    Can the flower girl throw petals?
    Can you wear a strapless dress?
    Do you have to take FOCCUS?
    What are the options for pre-cana? (days of the week, engaged encounter instead)
    (If you want) Can you have someone else sing?
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These don't all have to be answered at your 2nd meeting, but I would at least have them on a list for a future meeting ...

-restrictions on music (can you have "here comes the bride" if you want it, etc)?
    -can children be in the wedding?
    -do i need readers, gift bearers, etc?
    -are there fees for using the church, organist, cantor, etc?
    -do i need an aisle runner?
    -can i have a unity candle ceremony (if you want one)?
    -do i need to take an nfp course as part of marriage prep requirements (i'd recommend taking it even if it's not required)?
    -is there any paperwork my parents need to sign our behalfs (usually a "B" form or "freedom to marry form")?
    -When do i need to provide you with my baptismal certificates?

---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would ask these questions ASAP:

-What are the requirements for Marriage Preparation? What classes/meetings/etc. will you be required to attend? When are they offered? What are the options if there is a schedule conflict or something similar?
    -If a course in NFP is not required, I would ask about resources for a local teaching couple.
    -What paperwork is required and what timeframe are you looking at for getting it turned in?
    -Can a date be set right away, or do other steps need to take place first?
    -Will there be an on-site coordinator on your wedding day? Who is this?
    -Who is the point person to talk to about: 1) liturgy planning, 2) music requirements and restrictions, 3) parish rules and regulations?

Eventually, you will want to ask about each of those ^ ^ 3 things.

Liturgy:
    -Readers and Readings
    -Prayers of the Faithful and reader
    -Gift Bearers
    -Eucharistic Ministers
    -Altar Servers
    -Timeline for finalizing the above

Music:
    -What is allowed/not allowed
    -Who will play/cantor and what their fees/expectations are?
    -Whether/how you can have a musician from outside the parish
    -Song selection
    -Availability of lyrics for the congregation

Parish-
    -What are the rules regarding decorations?
    -Is an aisle runner required? Not allowed at all?
    -Can you have children in the wedding? Is a flower girl allowed to toss petals?
    -Can things be tossed outside the church?
    -Where do brides/grooms get ready?
    -When can you/vendors arrive on the wedding day? When do you need to be out?
    -What are the requirements regarding attire, particularly for the bride and BMs?
    -Can you have a unity candle? Presentation to Mary? Other cultural ceremonies?
    -When will the rehearsal take place and how long will it take?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  Very helpful and awesome!  I had some of those questions down, but not all of them.  Going to meet with the Priest (our second meeting) now! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards