Catholic Weddings

NWR: Best Doc Appt Ever

I had my annual exam today, and the doctor asked me what was going on in my life. I had mentioned that my husband and I want to TTC towards the end of this year.  She asked me what BC methods we were using in the mean time.  I explained that I was Catholic and took a class on NFP, and we were going to stick with that.  I was kind of expecting some resistence like, "Oh you're gonna get pregnant before you want to."

But, she got really excited and she said she was Catholic, too, and just loves NFP and how it really changed her life.  Her and her husband practice it diligently.  She explained how she's only ever gotten pregnant when she was trying.

She started asking me specifics about my charts and explained what it could potentially mean.  I explained that I was concerned about a short luteal phase.  She gave me some tips on some vitamins to take, which could help with headaches I've been getting too.  She also recommended books -- written by CCL folks -- that I actually have, just hadn't read yet (I've been reading TCOYF, and plan to move to this book she recommends after I was done).

It was very liberating being able to go in and talk to a medical professional who understood all of this stuff, and didn't just write a script for birth control.  She is not NFP-only, but it's great that I have a doctor who gets it.

So now I have a vitamin cocktail that she suggested in order to prep me for pregnancy and hopefully fix my short luteal phase.  I'm just so thrilled!
---------
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: NWR: Best Doc Appt Ever

• edited December 2011
    That is really great news.
  • edited December 2011
    That is very exciting! It sounds like that appointment really was a blessing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I love it when people in the medical field are knowledgeable about NFP and don't let the prejudices and what they don't know affect their practice.  People are opening and their hearts are converting.

I bet your MD is also qualified to teach the Creighton Method.  The vast majority of us would find Thermo-Sympto NFP sufficient, but it may be good for the ladies who are prone to miscarriages and want the medical component while using NFP.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    that's awesome!

what's yoru vitamin cocktail?  i wanna try it.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  I'm so happy for you!
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://houston.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-doc-appt-ever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f889ae51-fb12-48a4-be25-574a763a0329Post:d3041bd0-a41e-45d7-85c4-dafcc3a2cbc5">Re: NWR: Best Doc Appt Ever</a>:
    [QUOTE]that's awesome! what's yoru vitamin cocktail?  i wanna try it.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

She prescribed a prenatal, Prenatal Plus FE.
    And OTC: Nature's Way Magnesium Complex 250 mg for headaches and luteal phase
    Vitamin D 1000 iu (any brand)
    B6 50 mg (Also for luteal phase)
    B12 1000 mcg (i had low B12 numbers last time I was in their offce)
    Barlean's Fish Oil

Calypso, does this mean you've decided on whether you're gonna have a baby this year?? :)
    ---------
    Anniversary

edited December 2011
    we are leaning towards it!

not to highjack your thread, but long story short, on our vacation i was in my fertile phase.  i knew it, H knew it.  well, we had a few too many cocktails one day and things happened....so of course, when we sobered up we realized we might have a child in 9 months!  lol  (yes, not responsible practice of nfp!)

we did a great deal of thinking, prayer and discussion during the time we were waiting it out.  we both felt ready for whatever came our way.  i was even pricing out baby furniture. lol

well, i am not pregnant, but i definitely felt some sadness and disappointment when i found out i wasnt.  H was really bummed.

i feel like maybe this was the sign i needed.  ill be 34 in May, so we are seriously thinking of trying for it after Lent.  if it happens by the time im 35, great.  if not, well, we'll know it wasnt meant to be.

given that ive had some concerns about my luteal phase, i figured checking out your vitamin potion might help!
  • edited December 2011
    I am so happy to read this post.
    I got the "you'll be pregnant soon" when I said we were using it to TTA. I'm so happy your doc believes in NFP as is wanting to help you!
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Calypso, if it's any consulation, my doctor had a baby last year.  She is 45 years old!  So you can have children after 35.  It just may be tougher. :) hope it all works out for you and your H!!
    ---------
    Anniversary

edited December 2011
    thanks!

oh, i know we can....but we really dont want to.  we want to retire early!  lol    and the various health risks freak me out.  ive seen so many friends lately (young) who have had special needs babies of all sorts of varying levels and severity.  its scary.
  • edited December 2011
    Calypso, I'm glad to hear that you've found some resolution. I've said it before, but I think you'll be a great mom, and pray that God blesses you accordingly!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    edited December 2011
    thanks!  its defintiely been nice knowing that so many on here have thought and prayed for me.  its surely helped.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to say a short prayer for a baby Calypso later this year!  Don't be too scared, Calypso, God does not hand us more than we can handle.
    edited December 2011
    thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards