Catholic Weddings
Options

VENT - Frustrated with people referring to a wedding as "Just a Party".

Ugh! I was in a Wedding Party thread on here and another bride posted that a groomsman bailed because he "has a problem with one of the guests" and was asking if she should still invite him. I said that I wouldn't, and not only would I not invite him, I would probably end the friendship.

Well, a couple of the other posters jumped on me and said I was uptight, etc. if I would end a friendship over "someone not attending a PARTY." I was appalled. I explained that as a Catholic, I believe that a wedding ceremony is much more serious than "just a party" and that backing out of the commitment to participate in the sacrament and stand with us in support of our relationship (especially for what the OP herself had described as a completely ridiculous reason) is a lot more offensive than simply not attending a random party.

These girls completely ridiculed me and accused me of being pompous and thinking I'm "more religious" than them. When I told them the reception is a party, but that the wedding is not, they reiterated that "actually, it IS." It made me so mad because I was just trying to explain that to Catholics and to many other religious brides, weddings are not "parties". I find it offensive to refer to a Nuptial Mass or a religious wedding ceremony as a "party" and I think the way that some brides criticize others for pointing out that, to them, it has a lot more significance than that is obnoxious. I just had to vent and hopefully some of my Catholic sisters will understand where I am coming from!! Maybe I am just extra touchy because today is my last day of work before the wedding, so I'm under extra stress, but it was very annoying!

I wanted to see if any other Catholic brides find it offensive when people refer to the wedding as a "party" and, as Catholics, if you do feel that being a member of the wedding party holds certain religious significance. It was always my understanding that if you are a bridesmaid or groomsman, you're not just getting extra recognition on the day of the wedding - you are standing up with the bride and groom as someone who supports their relationship and who they can count on throughout the marriage. That is what I was taught. To me, the notion of a WP member just deciding, "Oh, hey, I don't like this guest so I'm not going to come," is unacceptable.

Re: VENT - Frustrated with people referring to a wedding as "Just a Party".

• Options
    Eliz77Eliz77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Well, I am Catholic and I take my wedding ceremony very seriously, and agree the reception really is a party for celebration and a thank you to the guests. But if one of my BMs or GMs backed out due to personal reasons not relating to me/FI, I would not be so offended and think of ending the friendship. Keep in mind no one will ever feel your wedding is as much a priority and as important as  it is to you and your FI. Personally, thinking over the attendents in our WP, if any one backed out due to not getting along with a guest, I would be appreciative they did so instead of allowing some fight or drama unfolding on my important day. 
    ~ES~
  • Options
    sbelle-
    I totally agree with you, that it's annoying how people don't view the wedding ceremony as anything more than a party. But keep in mind, that when you're talking about their wedding ceremony...for them it may not be anything more than a party. You can't exactly argue with that, but is still really sad.
    Look at it from the perspective of the vast majority of people getting married these days. They've most likely been living together, sleeping together, have a pre-nup in case things "don't work out," and are having a non-religious ceremony (or, even for the vast majority of Catholics who are forced into Catholic ceremonies by their parents- have no idea or care for what it means,) so really, what IS the wedding ceremony except an opportunity for them to get a lot of presents and be congratulated by everyone, throw a really fun and awesome party, and make a supposedly life-long commitment to their partner, while keeping in the back of their mind the legal option of an "out" for when the going gets tough.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    yuck. reading that thread. reason #1043549 why I pretty much avoid every other board except this one.

(lots more I want to say...but I'm not interested in getting flamed when they all come over here eventually...so I'll just stop now.)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards