Texas

Texas Coast Weddings

Has anyone had a wedding on the Texas Coast - Port A, S Padre - any ideas of great places to have one?

We had our hearts set on Port Royal in Port A but apparently they no longer do weddings. Frown

Any ideas would be super helpful. Thanks!!!

Lisa in SA

Re: Texas Coast Weddings

• klkkisses20klkkisses20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i also would like to know. likr Corpus christi arean as well..
  • edited December 2011
    I'm currently planning mine in South Padre Island, Texas but I've never known anyone who has done that. So, I'm interested to see if anyone does have any suggestions.
  • nackiejicholenackiejichole member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on Galveston Island in June. It's a great place and is also close to Houston so there are tons of options.
  • shandaandjoelshandaandjoel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is in 23 days in South Padre Island.  I have been really surprised with the easy of everything.  If you do go down to Padre definitely have Karla's Catering do the cake.  My FH and I have been dreaming of our cake and desserts since the tasting in September.  I would also hire a wedding planner, Valarie Waddel is mine and she has been great through the whole thing. She is taking care of everything on the beach.  I was originally going to have my reception at Louies but that ended up being a bust because they also arranged another two parties that same day and they were forcing us to be in the smallest room they had...and I have 70 guest coming (that room fits 25...and no dance floor).  I was also disappointed in the lack of organization and communication I got from them.  So we are at Club Pelican West.   Soon as I get back from my honeymoon at the end of May I will let everyone know all about the final days with all my venders.  I must say, I got lucky and found a photographer from Dallas who is comming down for the wedding events at a very reasonable price.  I was not really happy with the photographer that everyone uses down there.  I wanted the wedding photo album and everything and she could not offer that so for the same price I found someone to come down and photographer Friday and Saturday.
  • adrianne619adrianne619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Casa Los Ebanos in Brownsville (roughly), about 15min from South Padre.  We wanted a tropical wedding wihtout the sand and crowds, so we chose this garden setting (old sugar plantation) that overlooks resaca (waterway) in front.  It really is beaufitul.  Another natural setting, the Inn at Chachalacas is  normally a bird watching destination.  It has a large pier and beautiful resaca view.  They throw in the Bridal Suite for the night for the newlyweds, and you can even have your guests rent there. We chose Los Ebanos because we wanted it closer to my parents home, and it just felt more comfortable for us.  Both are lovely, if you decide the beach part is not what you want.
    There is a sea side chapel in South Padre that is non deominational, but it's next to the water park and overlooks quite a bit of construction...the chapel though has full length windows on three sides and could be quite beautiful with the right decorations.
  • shandaandjoelshandaandjoel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding in South Padre turned out wonderful.  We went to the very north of the island where no one goes.  It was a very romantic and private wedding on the Texas Coast.  There were ups and down the week of the wedding and one was the weather would spring up some showers throughout the week but would only last for an hour or so.  By the time the wedding came the weather was perfect.  I would recommend Valarie as your wedding consultant (www.beachceremony.com/">www.beachceremony.com) she was wonderful.  We had our rehearsal dinner at Blackbeard’s restaurant for about 40 people and they were wonderful.  There are nice upscale restaurants in Dallas that cannot compare to the service that we received.  They had everything timed out great.  The restaurant was packed that night and even with a packed house we still received the best service and food that we have ever had.The wedding cake and desserts were wonderful and everyone loved it.  You must talk with Karla’s Katering.  My only problem I had was with the reception.  We were at Club Pelican West.  I was informed that they would close down the restaurant for us but when we got down to Padre they told us they needed to open but that we would have the downstairs to ourselves all night.  I told them they could open at 9 and that by 9:30 there band could come on and the club DJ could take over, we would just hang out and slowly leave, most likely be out by 10-10:30.  Well they started letting people in at 8:45 and by 9:15 they were hounding my friend who was running the show that we needed to leave.  My DJ turned the mic and music over to them at 9:30 like we said but by the time I turned around there was a swarm of staff taking down my stuff and rearranging the table while my family and friends were still here.  They pushed us out and put all of our decorations outside and left us frantic to get everything.  So much for getting the place as long as we wanted.  DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!  Other then the reception location the wedding was perfect.
  • edited December 2011
     I'm planning an Oct 2011 wedding in Port Aransas. Since my FH and I both live in Houston, we're hired Event Creations as our wedding coordinator. Lou Ann is FABULOUS and she has great connection in the Port A / Corpus Christi / San Antonio areas. The website is www.eventcreations.net and her phone number is (361) 946-0432.
    My family has been vacationing in Port A for as long as I can remember and we love the Sea Shell Village Resort. It’s not directly on the water so our guests will have to walk a few blocks from the beach ceremony back to the reception, but we’re going to get some decked out golf carts to help transport people.
    If you want a ceremony / reception combo right on the water, check out Plantation Suites. The only problem with this location is that is cannot accommodate more than 100 guests. Another option is Island Mooring Yacht Club (3500 Island Moorings Pkwy).
    We looked in Corpus first at the Water Garden, Heritage Park, and the Aquarium as potential ceremony / reception locations. Let me know if you want info on any of them!

• edited December 2011
    As for locations and event planning in the Port Aransas/Rockport/Corpus Christi area I would touch base with Amy Canterbury with Outside the Box weddings.  She is amazing!!!!
    http://www.outsidetheboxweddings.com/destination.htm

We are based out of the DFW but we love to head to South Texas!  Check out our work and see if we are the style you are looking for.  We would love to head to Port Aransas!  I grew up in Rockport and love heading down South for weddings! Check out our work here:

Good Luck Planning & please let us know if we can help you!  Thanks!

A Wedding Fanatic! -favorite tents: Jacqueline Chapelle- www.jacquelinechapelle.com -favorite photographer: Jonathan Ivy Photo- www.jonathanivyphoto.com
  • marcieshawnmarcieshawn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone I am on a very low budget, but would love a wedding ceremony on the beach (South Padre). My vision is to have a very sweet and simple ceremony on the beach with mabey 30 guest. And reception at a beach house near or on the beach. Any ideas of beach houses that are resonable with a nice size deck? And hints on a good spot for the cermony?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in South Padre in April. Did you have someone do your hair and makeup? If so would you recommend them?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards