Pennsylvania-Central

What's a good price for a photographer?

I'm hiring a newbie (she did our engagement shoot too) for our wedding. She offered to do it for free so she can have credentials, but it's a destination wedding. What do you think would be a fair price to pay her? Gas will cost $200 to drive there, and the hotel will cost about $200 as well for 2 nights. She will arrive on Friday evening and stay until Sunday morning (wedding on Saturday). I will be receiving a CD with al lthe images on it and the copyrights to reprint everything. So what's a good price?! Minimum will be $500 to cover all the costs. We are also providing the meals for the weekend.

Re: What's a good price for a photographer?

• edited December 2011

I'd say 800, it is only fair if she will be initally spending 400 to get there and stay there then all the time it will take to edit and upload the photos. To me it only seems fair.

• mamie329mamie329 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tough question, but I can't really advise until I see samples of this person's work. :-/ 
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • edited December 2011
    Excellent question!  It really depends on how important photography of your wedding day is to you.  If it's not a big deal you can catch someone starting out who may miss a few key shots (rings and tosses in action especially), wouldn't have liability insurance, album offerings, or pro gallery hostings for decent price of around 400-800 for 8 hours.  If you're going pro with all of those items added in it staggers a bit, not only in price but what you get with that price.  Also you'd want to check on their editing time.  Are you getting raw images or will they be spending a few hours on editing out blemishes or dirt found on your dress or on their lens, etc.  Then add in also anything unique that they might offer, photobooth, upgraded quality albums, etc and you can be anywhere for an 8 hour event from 1500-5000 or more.  It really comes down to what is important for the two of you.  Do you want quality images where the person(s) taking the shots know time lines, orders of events, post prodution, and service or are you willing to take a chance on a newbie.  I highly recommend checking out a book that helped me when I got married called bridal bargains which touched on everything you'd need on your day and all the great questions to ask all of your vendors.  Just make sure that whomever you book you have a solid explanation and contract that states exactly what you're getting.  I've had way to many brides contact us that have had previously booked a vendor and had their money or pictures lost due to bad business practices.  Good luck:) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards