Pennsylvania-Central

Outdoor ceremony ideas near Central PA

I am desperate - looking for an outdoor venue with a great view in Central PA. I would prefer something on the east shore in Harrisburg but am open to suggestions. We recently looked at Harmony Hall in Middletown. I have a friend who is getting married at Felicita in June so we don't want to do that...also, the Hershey Gardens are expensive. Anyone have a great hidden gem of a place they could suggest?

Re: Outdoor ceremony ideas near Central PA

• kimberlyr22kimberlyr22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg on October 20th next year. We're planning on being completely indoor, but they do have outdoor options and they are on top of a hill over looking Harrisburg. Beautiful views -- we're very excited to do a lot of pictures outside.
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • dnichol3dnichol3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Harmony Hall next July.  We actually just had our engagment pics taken there today.  We're doing the ceremony outside and the reception inside.  What are you looking for that HH didn't have?  Just the view?

The only other nice outdoor places I saw when I was searching are in Lancaster - there are a LOT to choose from there though!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Central PA brides,

I don't participate on "your" blog, my FI and I are getting married at the OBX, North Carolina next September(that's the Outer Banks for those of you that aren't familiar).  We vacation there every year.  Have any of you thought about getting married somewhere besides where you live, like here in Central PA?  The OBX is such a BEAUTIFUL place.  I have gotten married in central PA before.  While it's special, a destination wedding is sooooooo much more intimate.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jnpfautzjnpfautz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was looking for an outdoor venue I ran into the same issue with trying to find something that fit what I was looking for (and in my budget!!).  I REALLY wanted to get married at the Hershey Gardens but it was way too expensive.  My cousin got married at Founder's Hall a year and a half ago but it was an indoor ceremony - they have a beautiful marble grand room with 2 staircases that come down on either side of the altar space.  It was nice but way too fancy for what I wanted for my own wedding, plus my cousin got married there!  My Aunt had a very intimate, informal ceremony outside at the pavilion at Founder's Hall but we just stood around while the ceremony took place.  We looked at a few places in Harrisburg - have you checked out Peter Allen House at all?  They were pretty nice!  We also looked at Civil War Museum.

I wound up choosing a venue in Lancaster because it was exactly what I wanted!!  Good luck with your search though!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We were considering the Civil War Museum, but I think that Harmony Hall has the best ceremony and reception venue for the money. I really like some of the venues in Carlisle/Lancaster but I hate the idea of having to drive that far everytime we want to see the venue. I haven't checked out the Peter Allen House yet, but I might take a look.

dnichol3 - we are probably going to go with HH and do the same thing you guys are doing with the ceremony outside and the reception inside. How was it getting your engagement photos done there? It has such a nice, relaxing feeling there!
  • dnichol3dnichol3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Scruffy, we had so much fun getting having our engagement pics taken!  We had them done there and on City Island bc that's where we got engaged.  No one from HH was there during our pics, but Karen is really great to work with.  We had our first planning meeting with her last week... she's SO knowledgable and thorough.  We love the feel of the place, too.  I'll post a link to my pics once we get them back - should be about 2 weeks :) 
  • annie42207annie42207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lauxmont farms is a pretty place, although they are not the most organized individuals....
  • slpankuchslpankuch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at Harmony Hall and found a place that has more bang for your buck. It's the Riverdale Manor in Lancaster. They are priced about the same but they have so many more options.
    Check it out:
    http://www.riverdalemanor.com/

The one thing I liked about the Riverdale over Harmony Hall is that there is a place to get married if it rains. They have a beautiful wooden pavillion that all your guests can fit under if it rains.
    Ask for Troy if you make an appointment to see the place. He is by far the best coordinator!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    The Hotel Hershey does outdoor wedding down in the rock garden, but I don't think they do outdoor receptions anymore.

I also went to a wedding at the Wind in the Willows in Grantville, and it was beautiful! Here are a few random pics from different photog's blogs:
    http://www.lesliegilbertphotography.com/blog.cfm?postID=151
    http://www.klosephotography.com/wordpress/tag/wind-in-the-willows/
    http://www.essentialsunshine.com/weddings/hillary-matt-harrisburg-pa-wedding-photographer/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards