Pennsylvania-Central

name change process

Can someone give me an idea of the process (places I have to change my name first) etc.  Those of you girls who have changed your name any advice?   Thanks

Re: name change process

• edited December 2011
    youll need to wait until you get your official, sealed license in the mail. then you will take that and get your name changed with the social security office first. make sure you read all of the paperwork on what you need.

next you will go to PennDOT and get your name changed with them. you can opt to get a new photo id for $10 (i would do this if you are flying before yours expires), or you can just get a change card.

then you will need to wait until you get your official social security card in the mail and change your name with your employer, insurance, etc.

finally, you should change your name at your bank. i needed my new SS, new DL, marriage certificate, and husband with me to change our joint account.

then you can just notify utilities and other bills, doctors, etc as they come. if your name is on a deed of a home, you will need to go through the closing process to change it (including lawyer fees), we opted not to do that but we did send a copy of our license and had my name changed on the mortgage.

good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Will I get the sealed license automatically or did I have to do something.  The pastor at our church was mailing in that portion of the marriage license and I got the other portion.  So I will get one in the mail too?  

The process of venues makes sense.  Thanks again.
  • edited December 2011
    yes you got a copy but your pastor mailed one into the county for them to register it. you will get an official, sealed copy back from the county.

the pastor needs to send it into the county to be recorded in order to make it legal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    -Amber, New Year's Eve 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards