Pennsylvania-Central

sit down dinner recept vs hors d' oeuvres recept

i'm in the process of considering just hosting a cocktail/ hors d' oeuvres reception, since we are getting married later in the even, and august is usually a hot month.  I don't want to waste food, and i've seen what happens at outside weddings when its too hot.. no one eats that much... i'd appreciate some input! thanks so much!!

Re: sit down dinner recept vs hors d' oeuvres recept

• bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a perfectly acceptable choice.  Make sure there are plenty of choices and plenty of food!  AND enough seating!
  • annie42207annie42207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes seating is a big part...most caterers i have been talking to are trying to talk me out of setting up seating for everyone.. i'm thinking even tho its not a formal dinner, i'd still like everyone to have a seat especially during the toasts and things like that
  • ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding I went to with an hors d'oeuvres reception was nice! The assortment of food was a little weird: a pasta station, shrimp, salad, chicken fingers, and mac and cheese. It wasn't a good variety.  And the reception site was small and there wasn't enough seating. People were bumping into each other, some people had to stand and eat. Even if you did tall tables for people to lean on, something so they don't have to hold their food! I'd say make sure you have some sort of seating so people don't have to hold their food and a good assortment of food: hot, cold, more "hearty" options, and small portions!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, an assortment of food is necessary, especially since me and the fiance eat totally different from one another.. i was thinking of doing light items for the first hour and then introduce a slider station (beef & turkey or chicken) and maybe a hearty salad of some sort and some dips
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh- that sounds good!  :)   Go ahead and plan for the hors d'oeurves reception, and label it as such on your invitations so your guests will know what to expect.

And thank you from guests like me - I am not "old", but I do have issues with standing for long periods of time- we will appreciate adequate seating!  :D  What was the line I heard on here once???......oh yeah: "a seat for every butt".  LOL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, i believe i'm going to word it  something like join us for cocktails and hors d' oeuvers ..should i assume people will read that and eat before they come? i mean the wedding is at 6:30pm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards