Pennsylvania-Central
Options

MOG - Rehearsal Dinner suggestions please!

Hello,

I actually grew up & lived in Manheim, PA until I was 24, so I "kinda" know the area.  My parents, brother & SIL, sister, relatives all still live in the area.... but I'm out in Tucson, AZ - so this is going to take some maneuving long distance!

My FDIL is a member of the boards here, so I can't say *too* much!!  (waves to TaraLyn).  Everything she's planned so far is great, and Tara is very down-to-earth, just wants everyone to have a great time, and isn't all glitzy ritzy..  I keep trying to tell her I'm wearing my sweats & t-shirts!! 

Anyway... tangents... sorry...

Rehearsal Dinner:  I believe we have the guest list around 20-25 (a lot depends if my son's dad, stepmom, and grandparents make it down Friday night, and dad & stepmom are going to help pay).

I originally thought of the Catacombs in Bubes Brewery - they are very nice, however, they are also a little bit more expensive.  My son has suggested Olive Garden - bah, I love OG, but with the wedding at Chickie's Rock, and I believe she is having the reception at my brothers place in Mount Joy - I am trying to keep the Rehearsal Dinner in the Mount Joy/Columbia, even possibly Marietta area.

I'm not 100% sure where most out-of-towners will be staying.  The only Olive Garden is at Park City - which, if you aren't familiar with the area between Route 30 & Route 283 - driving can be confusing - PLUS on a Friday night, congestion around that area (and how busy OG can be) will be tough.

I am looking for something "down home cooking" - I even checked out Gus's Family Restaurant in Mt. Joy (son has been there, thinks their food is very good, plus the price is good).. but Gus's doesn't do RD's on Friday nights. 

My mom came up with the idea of having the RD at one of the Amish Farms - it's a very unique experience, where the Amish cook & serve your entire party.  They only ask for donations of 10.00/plate.  However, the only one she knows of is down in Ephrata or the Akron area - and that's pretty far.

I also need to make sure I have vegetarian plates, but if you are familiar with Lancaster County PA Dutch Cooking - you know it's meat & mashed potatoes with gravy.. LOL. 

Sooooo... does anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions?  My husband suggested crossing the river and heading over to the York area - I think that may be too far.  I just really want to have a Nice place, a little bit of PA Dutch food, and something that the kids will enjoy!  (and we don't care if there's no alcohol).

Thanks!

Re: MOG - Rehearsal Dinner suggestions please!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can check into Loxley's.  It is located at the Herritage Hotel off of Centerville road in Lancaster (also right next to Dutch Apple Dinner Theater)!  They have a very nice atmosphere and good food!
  • Options
    redtails22redtails22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try Flavors in Elizabethtown or maybe The Gathering Place in Mt. Joy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Country Table is pretty yummy and home cooking-ish but I'm not sure how easy it is to get to for out of towners.
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    djoann958djoann958 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the Country Table. I think it is easier to get to than Olive Garden by park City. Plus the desserts at Country table are sooo good.
  • Options
    r0ddysm0mr0ddysm0m member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much ladies for the quick response!

Y'all have given me some great ideas and good starting points.  I really appreciate it - googling everything now!  I'll send my mom and dad on some "food tasting" for me (which I'm sure they will love).

I didn't really need an account here, but had to sign up for one in order to ask this question.  I'm going to delete my acct., but if anyone comes up with more ideas to toss out - please feel free to drop me an email:  kl_hofbauer at yahoo.com   

Thank you again!  I hope your wedding days - and your marriages - are as special as you wish them to be!  Congrats and best wishes to all of you!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A place in Marietta could be McCleary's.  I think they have a private room upstairs.  The food is awesome!  :)  Good luck!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards