Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Reading Public Museum... anybody know ?

Does anyone know much about the Reading Public Museum for a reception I have looked at the website but wasnt sure about reviews etc... Also does anyone think that 35-30 minutes is too far from my ceremony site for the reception ? I live in Lebanon area and there just is not much around....

Re: Reading Public Museum... anybody know ?

• Options

Are you thinking of an outdoor reception? I live minutes from the RPM and it has beautiful outdoor grounds but I have never been to a reception inside there so I am not sure..

Im not sure of your budget but if you are willing to go to that area, right across the Penn St bridge is the Abe Lincoln at Wyndham Hotels.  It is gorgeous I almost had my reception there and it is on the cheap side.

Also if you liked the museum because of the vibe there is the Goggleworks right near by too.  They have a 3rd floor (if i remember correctly) great room with neat brick walls and hard wood floors.

I am from the area and looked high and wide! So if you can give me more details I can probably help with more suggestions!

I've loved you since I was 8 years old...
    243 Invited image
    171 Are ready to party! image
    70 Are party poopers! image
    2 Said they can't give an answer until a week before the wedding..EXCUSE ME?!!! image
    RSVP Deadline WAS September 20th!
  • Options

It will be indoor because it will probably be in the fall.. I did see the Abe Lincoln place but i'm not sure of the "CITY" ness of it otherwise it would be wonderful ..

To be honest we havnt hashed out a budget yet... the cheaper the better.... I told my FI about the museum and he was like "why does a museum do this ?" ...i said uhh to make money ?? lol silly boys ...

• Options
    haha a museum would definitely be neat!

We didnt personally have an issue with the Abe Lincoln's cityness because you get their private parking garage for your event and they on a side street instead of the main busy street.  I do agree with you though about considering that because we also looked at the Soverign Performing Arts Center ( the old one not the new one that is huge and does concerts).  They are only a couple blocks from the Abe Linc but have no parking garage or off street parking so guests would have to park a block away and walk and I was NOT comfortable with walking in the city at night!

Im not to familiar with Lebanon but is it close enough to Ephrata/Lancaster??

We also looked at (and decided on) venues in that area...Hamilton Ballroom, Lily's on Main, and the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square were all very reasonably priced
    I've loved you since I was 8 years old...
    243 Invited image
    171 Are ready to party! image
    70 Are party poopers! image
    2 Said they can't give an answer until a week before the wedding..EXCUSE ME?!!! image
    RSVP Deadline WAS September 20th!
  • Options
    I grew up in Lebanon and yeah...not much around unless you want a church hall or the Country Club. 

A 30 minute drive is fine, most of my high school friends got married in a church in Lebanon and then we had to drive to Hershey or Lancaster for the reception. 

I don't have any personal experience with them, but Stirling House in Reading is very inexpensive. 
  • Options
    I am having my reception at the Ab Lincoln, it is absolutely gorgeous and I fell in love with it the second they took me up the stairs and opened the double doors to the ballroom.  It is one of the cheaper sites and you get a big bang for your buck and with the parking garage attached to the hotel it was very easy to get to.  We looked at the Soverign Performing Arts Center and it was just too much of a hassle in my opinion; parking=none and I was told I needed to bring in a caterer and all of the other things to go along with it.

When is your wedding date?

Also a side note, my ceremony is 45 minutes from the Ab Lincoln.  When you love something go with it and the people who want to be there will be there!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    262 Invited image
    164 Yes image
    38 No image
    60 Are making me drink way too much wine!!! image
  • Options
    Is the Abe Lincoln historical ? or just kinda called the abe lincoln ? Looking at fall dates was going for Oct 13th if possible... Good to know I will look it up thank you
  • Options
    :(  I hate to say this but October 13th is my date.  But still definitely check it out, if I remember correctly the 6th and 20th were still open when I booked.

It is a historic hotel but nothing related to Abe Lincoln.  It has the old hotel feeling, absolutely gorgeous and a must see.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    262 Invited image
    164 Yes image
    38 No image
  • Options
    It might not actually be Oct 13th i know it's getting late to be makin reception plans....yeah and i just had to resign up becuase my computer crashed and it wouldnt let me in /couldnt find my passwords/emails...lame i know 
    Love is All You Need
  • Options
    Ohh no thats not good!  Computers can be such a funny thing.

Well Good luck with your planning!  If you have any other question about anything in the Reading area feel free to ask!

But most important Congratulations on your engagement!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    262 Invited image
    164 Yes image
    38 No image
  • Options
    Thanks i'm very excited to check out my first venue :) 
    Love is All You Need
  • Options

I went to the Reading Public Museum the other day with my daughter and the groom.I loved the venue.. my daughter not so much.  I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  They have gardens for small standing ceremonies.. for larger seated ceremonies there is a lovely shaded area that works well.  It is along the creek and there's a bridge you can cross for your entrance. The atrium or the 2nd floor American Arts Gallery are great alternatives/backups in case of inclement weather  for the ceremony.  There is also a great space on the second floor of the museum for an h'orderves reception after the ceremony.  There are also areas in the museum a smaller reception.  The last place we looked at there, was by far my favorite reception area.  The planitarium lobby will seat 175 for a reception, there is a new kitchen for the caterer.  The walls are a dark blue(almost black) color. It's a blank canvas.. I feel as though if you have a vision you could do almost anything with the room.  One thing that I think detracts from the room when you first see it, is that the tables aren't covered and they had old beat up chairs. That's because they use it as an educational area for children. Of course for a reception you'll have table covers, different chairs (with covers if you choose).  There's an arched area where they suggest you place the bridal/sweetheart table.  Above is a projector and during the reception you can choose to have photos projected on the wall in the arched area behind you.. or you could have your monogram or perhaps a message to your guests. The only thing in the room that they can't remove is a "Moon" in the back corner. The person showing us the venue said they usually  put the bar in front of "her" and "she" slowely rotates.  Two doors open to the "chamber".. this is a great action space!  This space would also work for a smaller reception.  My daughter loved this area!  Picture this:  you use this room after the ceremony for the h'orderves reception, music playing, and above on the ceiling a light show that pulses to the beat of the music(perhaps with pictures of the bride and groom): your guests move to the lobby for the reception. While you have your reception the chamber is flipped.. now it is a cool dance floor where your guests can litterally dance "under the stars"; around the outskirts of the chamber are scattered high tables and chairs for those who just want to sit and watch.  As the evening winds down, another thing you could do is have a send off with fireworks in the chamber.  Pretty awesome.  Unfortunately, my daughter has no vision.  She can't see what "could be".  She plans for 150 guests and we've been to over 40 venues and she has yet to find one she likes under $35,000(venue and caterer only).   I tell her she has "Princess Syndrum".  The prices are VERY reasonable. Rental for the planitarium is $1000 for 3 hours and $75 for each additional hour. There is a fee for the light show in the chamber but I think it's like $100. Three banquet tables, three round tables, 50 chairs and trash cans lith liners are included. They rent additional tables at $4 each and additional chairs are only $1 each. They have 13 preferred caterers to choose from and they are all reasonably priced. You can also choose to have your own outside caterer provided they attend a meeting with the staff first. 
    ONE LAST NOTE:  If you become a "Contributor member" $120 ($100 is tax deductable) you recieve the following:
    1.  membership benefits for two adults and up to four children (under 18), 
    which includes 52 weeks, unlimited admission to the museum's collections and several temporary exhibitions; free admision to all planetarium star shows and reduced admission to rock music shows; free or reduced admission to a variety of educational programs; invites to special programs, opening receptions, and annual gala; 10% discount in the museum shop.
    2.  Free general admission to 300+ STC membe science museums
    3.  Free general admission to 400+ NARM member art museums
    4.  Two museum passes to share with friends
    4   Two planitarium passes to share with friends
    PLUS $100 OFF YOUR RENTAL..  HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards