Massachusetts

No contract?

Has anyone had a wedding where there is no guarantee on the price of food, until 90 days before the wedding? We are hoping to make a deposit with the Zukas Hilltop barn in Spencer, but all they require from us is a $1000 deposit now, and they only need our names and contact info. No locked in prices, rental fee due next February and then final costs for food and everything else are due 1 week before the wedding.

I love this place, but this makes me nervous. There are no bad reviews that I have found either, so I assume prices don't sky rocket a year later but still..  Anyone have any other advice about Zukas?

Thanks!

Re: No contract?

• I had a general idea as to what food prices would be at the time we signed the contract with the Publick House.  They provided us with 2010 food prices to get a sense of food prices and we knew they would only increase.  Our tasting was 5 months before our wedding and we were given 2011 prices. 

Zukas is weird to me.  Friends of ours were married there last October.  I remember them having their tasting an entire year before the wedding because that's how Zukas does their tastings.  I think having your tasting a year in advance is odd, so really, I'm not shocked that they wouldn't give you a price guarantee.  I would ask for a copy of the 2012 prices if I were you just so you can get an idea of what the costs would be.  I would say that you can expect prices to go up somewhere between $5 to $15 a person from 2012 prices.

Zukas is nice and their food was good.  I remember really liking the potstickers.  I had the chicken and it was good while my H had prime rib.  He didn't rave about it.  I preferred their indoor space to their tent.  I thought the tent was a bit shabby and nothing spectacular.  Although that might have been because the B&G used very simple decor.  Honestly, I feel like a white tent needs to be loaded up with color, so it doesn't look drab.

Good luck!
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would be leary about not getting a contract.  I would be more comfortable with some type of statement saying the wedding date, the times you have reserved, the rental fee, etc. I understand food prices may go up, but the rental fee should not. Unless you have some type of all inclusive package price.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Hi Ashley,  I looked at Zukas as well but booked elsewhere.  From my understanding, all rental fees for weddings occurring anytime in 2013 would be due in February 2013, regardless if your wedding is in March or if its in November.  I was under the assumption that there was a contract with regards to the rental and ceremony chair prices, and that only the food prices cannot be guaranteed.  A lot of venues don't guarantee food prices until closer to the wedding so I don't think that part is so odd.  I would double check with Allyson about a contract for the rental price!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards