Massachusetts
Options

Sturbridge Host hotel and conference center

Sturbridge Host hotel and conference center is where we've pretty much settled on (no deposit yet but contract is coming in tomorrow) and we've seen a lot of reports on yelp and expedia etc about there being clenlyness issues with the rooms and especially bathrooms where people were finding mold. There's enough of these reviews that makes me worry a bit, but when we were there yesterday it looked really clean, and the bathrooms we saw were clean as well with no mold. 

Has anyone else had their wedding here or stayed here recently? Many of the reviews that mention this are a bit older, and I know they have a new GM as of either early this year or late last year.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to bridge this topic with the hotel staff? I don't want to be too attacking about it, but I don't want mold in my guests bathrooms, especially not when many of them are used to 1st class accommidations and they are already settling on coming to this venue at all.

Re: Sturbridge Host hotel and conference center

• Options
    If I am being 100% honest....you couldn't pay me to stay there or host an event with them.  There are plenty of other hotels in the area - Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, etc.  The only thing this Host Hotel is good for is people with small children IF it's during the cold season because of the indoor pool.
  • Options
    Thank you for the honesty, I just wish there was some other place in the area that can host a 300 person event indoors that is not a barn (not my cup of tea).

Anyone have any suggestions on any other places I can look if this does turn out to be a big issue?
  • Options
    Not sure if the Publick House can host that many - and it wouldn't be my first choice anyway.  Also, Zukas offers tents and the indoor location really  isn't a barn.  Old Sturbridge Village is right next to the Sturbridge Host and we had a work event for 320 in their new buidling.  I'm so sorry if I was brutal and wish you good luck!  I'm sure everything will work out just fine!
  • Options
    You've probably already decided on a venue by now, but I just wanted to throw it out there that I stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel for a work event about a year ago and thought it was lovely...  Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_sturbridge-host-hotel-and-conference-center?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:c24f615d-8263-4799-a500-8123a87be614Post:e570684d-357e-4229-a6ac-5c2ec6aa1d60">Re: Sturbridge Host hotel and conference center</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd go with Sturbridge Village for a large group. Anyone have a wedding at  publick House? I have a small wedding and am thinking about using them-but I noticed someone said they wouldn't be ther first choice. I have 50 to 75, and I just want a nice place with good food for a reasonable price.
    Posted by cmlk14[/QUOTE]

<div>If I only had 50 to 75, I would choose Sturbridge Village over the Publick house - the small barn like tavern is perfect for a smaller group like that and I think the village would be a better choice.</div>
  • Options
    I ended up not going with Sturbridge Host due to their unwillingness to bend on catering choices and bar options. We've happily now chosen to go to Mechanic's Hall instead. Despice it not having a hotel in the building, the hilton garden inn is walking distance, and there are a number of parks we can get just as good photos at. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards