Massachusetts

Too soon to plan a wedding?

I just got engaged October 2011. I am starting to look at venues and many have reduced rate specials for June and July 2012. A part of me wants to enjoy being engaged. Have time to plan. Then a part of me says wow, these are great rates I should lock them in. Then I think better dj's/ photographer's would be picked. I would ideally in a perfect setting like a July 2013 wedding. I could wait until the end of 2012 having planned my dream dress, list of top photographers, top dj's and see what specials are offered then- or would this be pushing it? What do you guys think?

Re: Too soon to plan a wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Most important thing-- do what is going to be most comfortable for you. If it makes you smile and relax, then it's the right decision. I decided not to rush for a wedding date 6 months from the engagement, but instead wait until the following June (engaged for 16 months). It was the right decision for us because I would have stressed but a lot of people can handle the shorter time just fine. It's whats best for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bride2012tobebride2012tobe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KFAW63012: Your right. I just got engaged October 2011 and for me to rush it for a June 2012 to lock in a rate is stressful and it is not how I want to remember my engagement. I will pick my top venues, my dress, my top choice of dj ( backups as well), photographers ( back up as well) and then I can finalize it in 2012 for my July 2013 wedding.
  • There are plenty of people booking wedding venues and vendors right now for the 2013 season if you'd like to get a head start on booking you won't be alone in the process. There's a lof of flexibility working with couples with a wedding date that far in advance, especially with engagement sessions (speaking s a photographer). And your dress could take months to come in. Anyway, it sounds like you made a good decision! 
  •  I highly suggest not rushing into getting married in June/July, there are so many decisions to make (and agree on!), plus many vendors book two years in advance anyways. My wedding will be 2 years from my engagment, it's a little long, but I wanted an end of summer wedding so this is the only way it worked. I'm glad I had plenty of time to find exactly what I want. Not to mention working full time, going to grad school, and trying to plan a wedding while still having a normal life. If you have your heart set on a specific date/time just wait until then and you'll be happy.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MichelleGirardP. Thanks. I am hoping to pick my venue in January. Even, if I don’t book I will have a list of top places in terms of venues.

Heatherr45: You’re right. I just got engaged in October. I am looking at a spring/Summer 2013 wedding. It is what both my fiancé and I want. Even if I save 2000 by having a wedding now. It is not worth it. What is worth it is being happy, making the right decision and planning a wedding while I am enjoying life.

• I completely agree with PPs! We'll have been engaged for 22 months by the time we get married and planning-wise I wouldn't change it. I've found it to be a much more relaxed experience since we've had so much more time to plan everything. We were also able to book all of our first choice vendors and secure their previous year's rates since we got them early. Go for a longer engagement and enjoy it!
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks bpphoto. I have decided to not rush into a April-July wedding for 2012 ( I was originally going to , based on a great rate at a dream venue. I am looking into April-July 2013. I want to enjoy enjoyment and I can lock in some 2012 pricing now
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-western-mass_soon-plan-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:619Discussion:f0819d3a-e8d6-409d-8f4d-478382056b64Post:503bb2be-e108-4166-b1d3-a3617bcbf36d">Re: Too soon to plan a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks bpphoto. I have decided to not rush into a April-July wedding for 2012 ( I was originally going to , based on a great rate at a dream venue. I am looking into April-July 2013. I want to enjoy enjoyment and <strong>I can lock in some 2012 pricing now</strong>
    Posted by bride2012tobe[/QUOTE]

Vendors are actually already booking for spring/summer 2013 already so you might not be able to lock in a 2012 rate with a venue, but it will probably be easier with DJs, photographers, and florists. Good luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I too am getting married in July of 2013 and we booked things as soon as we found them (after we did our research and agreed on them)! We have found it to be alot of fun and has given us alot of time to think about what we really want and how to pay for it! Taking your time is definitely a good thing to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards