April 2014 Weddings
Options

Too Early for Wedding Dress?

I am going shopping for a wedding dress this weekend, am I rushing into buying a dress? Anyone else have one yet?

Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress?

• Options
    I bought mine last Thursday! I don't think it's too early to be buying one. The salon I purchased from pushed back my delivery date to October so it didn't arrive too early.

There are a few other ladies on this board who have also bought their dresses. I don't think I've made it a sticky yet, but I can definitely start a dress thread so we can post them :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    I bought mine on St. Patrick's day, and it is the complete opposite of any dress I've ever pictured myself in! 

I wasn't planning on shopping this early but I'm glad I did - I feel like the dress sets the tone for the venue, colors and style of the wedding.  Not as stressed about making all the other decisions now. 

Plus, it's going to take about 6 months to get it in and after my initial down payment (half the cost) they will hold the dress and let me make monthly payments once it arrives.  It frees up some money for other things instead of costing another big chunk all at once.
  • Options
    I bought mine in September.  I was only going to look at different styles but I fell in love and my dad wasn't letting me walk out of the store without it.  It came in January.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am holding off until april or may because I don't want to buy it and be tempted to change my mind.  I am trying as hard as I can to wait but I REALLY want to shop for it already.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Ugh! I am jealous of some of you ladies! I wish I could go shopping this weekend and get my dress but everyone and my mom is saying not too because I am trying to lose 20 pounds. I do agree with her that I will need a different size but I feel like it's even more motivation for me to lose the weight and if worse came to worse and I couldn't fit into it, I could always buy a new one within my means. 

I want to try on dresses so bad!

Hope you find the perfect one OP!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_too-early-for-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:98122a49-bebd-4bba-80f2-b3b102150580Post:8e4dfe88-0ddb-4f63-95ba-22dd93cccda9">Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh! I am jealous of some of you ladies! I wish I could go shopping this weekend and get my dress but everyone and my mom is saying not too because I am trying to lose 20 pounds. I do agree with her that I will need a different size but I feel like it's even more motivation for me to lose the weight and if worse came to worse and I couldn't fit into it, I could always buy a new one within my means.  I want to try on dresses so bad! Hope you find the perfect one OP!
    Posted by SES2014Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>SES I wouldn't wait until you lose the weight to buy a dress. The honest truth is if you wait until you've lost enough you might not have enough time to order your dream dress and it would be an awful feeling to have to settle on something you don't love.</div><div>
    </div><div>I am also trying to lose some weight but I went shopping anyways and bought my dress in my current size. It is much easier to alter a dress down a size or two than to try to let out a smaller size if you don't end up losing the weight.</div><div>
    </div><div>Just some food for thought.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_too-early-for-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:98122a49-bebd-4bba-80f2-b3b102150580Post:7fdb104f-363f-4709-9ef1-1830de3d05aa">Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress? : SES I wouldn't wait until you lose the weight to buy a dress. The honest truth is if you wait until you've lost enough you might not have enough time to order your dream dress and it would be an awful feeling to have to settle on something you don't love. I am also trying to lose some weight but I went shopping anyways and bought my dress in my current size. It is much easier to alter a dress down a size or two than to try to let out a smaller size if you don't end up losing the weight. Just some food for thought.
    Posted by kristbot[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for letting me know that. I am 5'11/180 pounds so I was thinking if I wait anyway that, it could be a problem either way. Just nervous a dress won't look good now but will later. I think I am going to maybe just go look and get an idea this weekend but I hear the sale ladies HATE that lol.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_too-early-for-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:98122a49-bebd-4bba-80f2-b3b102150580Post:70dda32a-0582-4457-90c9-abc0f133c282">Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress? : Thanks for letting me know that. I am 5'11/180 pounds so I was thinking if I wait anyway that, it could be a problem either way. Just nervous a dress won't look good now but will later. I think I am going to maybe just go look and get an idea this weekend but I hear the sale ladies HATE that lol.
    </div><div>I'm sure some salons don't like it but it's a major purchase so I wouldn't feel too badly about doing it. </div><div>
    </div><div>I went to a few salons totally by myself to try on dresses before I brought others with me. It gave me time to figure out what I liked, what I didn't and I was very honest with the consultant that I was not going to purchase anything at that time. It also gave to time to figure out which salon I liked best so I knew where I would go for my final appointment to try on and purchase a dress.
    </div>
  • Options
    I agree with krisbot.  I bought my dress and I am not at my ideal weight but I didn't want to take the chance of it not being available when the time really came.  The dress shop I bought it in said that they had a bride lose 70lbs and they were still able to alter the gown.  I plan on losing weight once I can workout again so I'm not worried at all.  I don't want to lose that much, but I think you will be fine. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! I decided to go Saturday. RachelMarie. I hope you find the one!

Anyone know if they have anything to make your boobs look bigger in a dress? I went from a B to a C after gaining weight and now I can tell I am going back to a B. I do NOT want to be flat.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_too-early-for-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:98122a49-bebd-4bba-80f2-b3b102150580Post:09c1df3c-8b6d-43c3-b68c-7c8c770df836">Re: Too Early for Wedding Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you! I decided to go Saturday. RachelMarie. I hope you find the one! Anyone know if they have anything to make your boobs look bigger in a dress? I went from a B to a C after gaining weight and now I can tell I am going back to a B. I do NOT want to be flat.
    </div><div>Well, speaking as a woman who has a b-cup naturally, I can assure you that I am nowhere near 'flat'. Ask the consultant if it's something you're truly worried about. Cups can always be sewn in for support and shape.

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards