Florida-West Coast

FI and I are moving to Tampa!

Well we're moving to Brandon but FI's job relocated him to Tampa from Jville. We just found and closed on a house there last week and should be moved within a month.I am excited because I will be closer to Miami and I love to go there as often as I can. I am also excited because we have very good friends in St. Pete whom we miss a lot.I am having to give up my kids that I teach though and that's the hardest part. I haven't decided yet if I want to start teaching in an actual school or just look for new kids for my in home program that I've been doing for years. I hope my current kids will be okay without me. I've had a couple of them for 3 years now and we've formed close bonds. Gee wiz typing this is making me sad. But i know it'll be better for us in the long run for our future. he got a huge promotion and it's what he's been working so hard for. with the promotion, he'll make more money and actually get to be home more and that will be so worth it bc i hardly ever get to see him as it stands right now.Brandon seems really nice to live. do any of you ladies live there? i 

Re: FI and I are moving to Tampa!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats! I used to live in Brandon (I'm in NorthTampa now) and I'm moving back to Brandon in about a month (I can't wait) I like Brandon, but it depends where you live :) For example when I lived right next to the mall I was soooooo happy (close to the interstate ext)When I lived in Valrico, not so much (it was a 30 min drive just to 75 :(So which area did you guys get a house at???You'll have to make sure you come to the next GTG!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! All I know is it's in brandon in the 33510 zip code. Fi's job gave him a list of houses on the market in areas they felt were safest for us and where other officers live. We went and looked at them 2 weeks ago and picked one last week. I am horrible with where stuff is. I was in the passenger seat asleep most of the time. lol. I think I remember it being close to Valrico? haha now I need to ask FI these questions.
  • edited December 2011
    33510 could be good! :)
  • edited December 2011
    It's an upscale neighborhood. The cost of the house was ridiculous but a nice chunk was paid for through relocation benefits.  I remember it was very nice though and quiet.  It's kind of our dream house and the best part is that the difference in his salary now will cover the cost of our monthly mortage payments and still leave a little bit extra. So we're a lot better off and with a much nicer place to live in. I just need to figure out my job situation now and hope I can get in teaching somewhere soon.do you have any recommendations for really good schools there that I should look into?  I teach pre-k through 3rd graders mostly.
  • MrsCanes511MrsCanes511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the area! I live in Brandon! I love it here, its close enough to Tampa (I work in south Tampa) without having all the disadvantages of tampa traffic and drama haha.
  • edited December 2011
    hmmm.. honestly none of the schools are really "great"I did check out the hillsborough county school district website...[url]http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/HumanResources/Instructional/index.asp[/url] they are on a freeze right nowThere are a few good private school, but mostly in North Tampa (30 min drive depending on where you are)
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The two top elementary schools in Tampa are Gorrie and Mitchell.  They are located close to each other in South Tampa.  Both have large parent organizations that raise a ton of extra money for "THEIR" school each year, and those parents are totally involved in the school and they come to all the music concerts and everything at the school.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your move! I live in Brandon and it's a nice place to live. I just moved here a couple months ago from Illinois so it's a lot busier then what I'm used to but I still love it. Congrats on your house as well!
  • edited December 2011
    I just moved from Brandon to Ft. Lauderdale...boo. However, I taught at Reddick Elementary last year (brand new school) in Wimauma and I absolutely loved the experience...if you're interested in working with students/families from low ses backgrounds. They just opened Stowers Elementary this year which is towards the Fishhawk area, which also offers plenty of "A" schools if you're interested. Like CPH said, check out the sdhc website...numbers are due on Sep. 4th I think, so there may be new job offers posted...Good Luck!
  • dsm111509dsm111509 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the promotion and the house!! I live in Brandon right next to the mall. FI works in downtown Tampa and it takes him about 15 minutes to get to work. I love it here. btw I love your name. (my name is Dawn too) :)
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Since FI and I are moving, we've decided to cancel our venue in Jacksonville and eat the deposit because we don't want to have to travel back and forth for wedding plans.So recommendations for tampa area venues would be great! We're having a whole lotta guests.. like over 300 and we want a very upscale venue that will host both our ceremony as well as our reception.I like meditarranean styles and influences and FI loves being on the water. Would love your suggestions
  • edited December 2011
    The first thing I thought of was The Ringling Muesem of Art! BEAUTIFUL, it's in Sarasota (but thats only a 45 min drive from you and most of the vendor in Tampa service the area with no travel fee) It's expensive but if I remember correctly your budget could certainly handle the costsAlso (Sarasota again, sorry they have all the pretty places) The Crosley Mansion
  • edited December 2011
    For a guest count of 300... the RINGLING MUSEUM OF ART COURTYARD.STUNNING.  And Sarastoa is way better than Tampa ;)  (I live here now, but will move to Tampa/Brandon when I get married) ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Moon! I totally agree! :) and I just realized the Crosley might not hold 300... hmm
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't think the Crosley could hold that many but I think my caterer is doing a wedding there this weekend with over 200.  however, all guests have to eat outside under a tent and can mingle in the house and they opened up the upstairs too.but i think ringling museum, while not on the water is AMAZING. [img]<a href="http://www.ringling.org/uploadedImages/Programs/Events/Weddings_and_Rentals/WEDDING.jpg" rel='nofollow'>http://www.ringling.org/uploadedImages/Programs/Events/Weddings_and_Rentals/WEDDING.jpg</a>[/img]
  • edited December 2011
    You can have the wedding on the grounds of the Ca Dzan ground too, which is near the water!Dawn if you have your wedding here I'm going to need an invite LOL! This place is soooo beautiful! The Ringling Museum is where I ALWAYS wanted my wedding when I was a little girl! (damn it I wish I could win the lottery LOL) here is the link [url]<a href="http://www.ringling.org/Rentals2.aspx?id=156" rel='nofollow'>http://www.ringling.org/Rentals2.aspx?id=156</a>[/url]
  • MrsCanes511MrsCanes511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the idea of the ringling...its def something for you to at least look into, Im sure you will love it! (There are lots of areas that they can hold the ceremony and reception as well, all amazing)!!
  • edited December 2011
    omg the ringling would be perfect! I've been there once before. My FI and I are going to set up a meeting with their coordinator as soon as we get moved there and I hope they have our date available! It's a weekday so hopefully they will! Mrs. CPH, I'll be sure to give you an invite if we do it there. And you can even bring a date. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    LOL Dawn I can live out my childhood dreams viciously through you! I actually contacted them to find out about a daytime ceremony only today :) Just waiting on pricing now, lets hope it's not an arm and a leg!
  • edited December 2011
    3k for a night time ceremony isn't bad (on a weekday). If they still have our date open, FI and I are most likely going to book it. I don't know why I never thought of it before. It's so very my style. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    AW Thats awesome! I'm so glad I was able to bring that to your attention!
  • edited December 2011
    me 2! you rock!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm just so excited to actually know (or kinda know) someone getting married there! I friggin love that place! My Aunt got married in the Rose garden way back it the day and it was AWESOME, great place to take pics
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards