Florida-West Coast
Options

POLL: Dollar Dance

So recently one of my friends brought up that she is doing a dollar dance at her wedding because you can get a lot of money that way and that her sister got like $2000 from doing one at her wedding. What's everyone opinions on this? I always thought it was a little tacky since people are already giving you money and gifts. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on it though.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: POLL: Dollar Dance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen this done, and yes I think it's tacky. however if this is the norm in your circle, and you're comfortable with it then by all means have at it. Just not my style.
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Completely rude to your guests who already unplugged from their own lives to come to your wedding, and who have already bought you a nice gift.  Sends the message that you are using the most spiritual moment of your life as a fund-raiser to score "a lot of money that way."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen this done and in my circle of friends it would be considered tacky.
  • Options
    cdullumcdullum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I go to like 10 weddings a year..... so I've seen it both ways.1. If people do it --->others talk about it and consider it tacky2. Although, some weddings we've been to people enjoy itWho knows?!!I am choosing not to do it.xo
  • Options
    stacybrideflstacybridefl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like I said, I think it's tacky as well, especially since most of my guests are coming from out of state. I already feel bad that they're spending that much for travel, so it would be like bleeding them dry to expect them to pay us for a dollar dance. Plus, I don't think too many people expect them at weddings anymore so they don't bring lots of cash to receptions with them. I think the last time I remember one being done at a wedding is when I was a flower girl in one when I was about 5 years old and my mom made me dance with the groom.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was younger, I think it was more the norm (I'm from Ohio and the Polish community used to do them), but the guests were also from in town not having to travel. Now, so many guests travel from all over to attend and I think it's tacky and quite rude to expect someone to pay you just for a dance.
  • Options
    corstinkcorstink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's rude. And you never know who's culture you may be insulting.  Maybe its tradition in some people's family. I personally will not do one. It's not my style. But I think you need to make that decision based on your guests. If its a more formal affair i don't think it's appropriate.
  • Options
    Savannah6783Savannah6783 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All of the family weddings i have been to they have always done the Dollar Dance. Before we decided to elope, when we were planning a large wedding we did not plan on doing the dollar dance ourselves.... However, it is one of the only memories I have from weddings when i was younger. My brothers and sisters would all beg my mom for money to dance with the bride or groom, it was a big thing to us! I think if it is normal for your families to do it (tradition), then its fine..... but if you are doing specifially to get money, it is rude & tacky. Its an older tradition that is pretty much dying out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure how I feel about the dollar dance or if we will be doing one. I asked my mom about it and she said that it is an Italian tradition and most wedding she has been to have done one and she di one at her wedding.  I am from a BIG Italian family so maybe that is why she sees it as a norm and not tacky.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I usually just enjoy lurking around here and so enjoy how helpful and friendly everyone is on this board. With this in mind I totally agree with Corstink. We should all be a little more sensitive to cultural differences. The money dance came to the US from Poland however it is a common tradition in people with roots from Mexico, Ukraine, Yugoslavia, and Philippines. If it is not something one would partake in or include in their own wedding that shouldn't warrant a culturally insensitive comment that would make those who would feel less than.
  • Options
    MrsCanes511MrsCanes511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand why some of you are super against it, however we are doing it because its a huge deal in my family. I have a HUGE family, so of course we have ALOT of weddings. The dollar dance is always done at these weddings, and when they arent...the guests request it to be done! I agree with one of the pp's that mentioned she has lots of good memories involving the dollar dance, me too. For us it has nothing to do with the money thing. Its just as big in my family as the garter/boquet toss.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow...I'm totally shocked a!t how many of you are openly against it!I've been to numerous weddings now that did it and at each one it was a hilarious little event! Everyone enjoyed themselves, and if anyone didn't have cash or want to do it they just didn't do it :shrug:I mean I can see it looking very out of place at a formal reception....but I'm having a fun, low-key wedding, and my friends and family are all about having a good time and not being so serious. To me it's not even about getting a bunch of random cash; I've always thought it was really neat that you get a chance to dance with just about everyone at your wedding :) I'm looking forward to ours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No way would I do it...it just screams "we need money!" in my opinion. I think people coming to our wedding (some from out of town and even from the U.K.) and probably already providing gifts is enough for us.
  • Options
    Sarahbelle2Sarahbelle2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HORRIBLE! Never!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nillachicknillachick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are Def. doing it. It's been done at a lot of weddings I've been to, and I think it's fun - I never thought it was tacky!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion, it's pretty tacky.  Because your guests have already spent money to come see you and given you a gift.  However, there are many people who say it's the norm in their circles.  If that's the case, feel free to incorporate it, but beware that most likely someone (probably a younger more modern-minded person) will find it tacky.It's really up to you though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just for the record, I think most of us whom said it is tacky, also added that if it is something that your guest would expect, or a normal activity at the weddings in your circle, then that is a different story.That being said, we are all entitled to our own opinions, just because someone said it was tacky doesn't mean they are close minded or anything, it just means in their own opinion it's tacky.I think because we are all such a great group on this board, most of us understand this. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally respect cultural events and if this is considered one, then I think that is very neat. I love to see cultural traditions live on.  The money dance is just one I'm not familiar with. I've seen dances like this done in the Tongan cultural at events.  I grew up and was close friends with many people from Tonga in the Dallas area.It was totally cool.  The money was placed on the girls while they danced.  [img]http://www.swerdloff.us/Tonga/TongaAlbum3/images/rebecca-dance-1_jpg.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    nillachicknillachick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, it's totally up to the person. Some people may think it's tacky, but some people may not, it's a personal choice. I love tacky...lol I'm also doing the Chicken Dance Muuaaahhah ahah....
  • Options
    Crystallee033Crystallee033 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my family, a dollar dance is ALWAYS done at a wedding reception. We don't look at it as giving even more money after you've already given a gift. I mean, you go to a wedding with an open bar, you still bring money to tip the bartender don't you? So what's one more dollar? Also, not everyone has to participate. If they feel that its tacky or something, they can just sit and watch. I always liked the dollar dance because at a wedding reception, it is very rare that the bride and groom get to talk to ALL of the guests. This way, it is time set aside where you can dance, offer your congratulations, give advice... whatever, and not feel like you are imposing on the bride and groom. In my family everyone usually dances with the bride and the groom! And, as an added bonus, the couple gets a little extra money to take on their honeymoon with them! I think if you were forcing your guests to do the dollar dance, that would be tacky. However, if its just offered, then its just another wedding custom. You'll never make everyone happy- some people feel that the garter ceremony is tacky but yet lots of couples do it and heck, some people feel that the chicken dance is tacky! Personally, I hate the "train" and usually hide in the bathroom when it starts around the room!
  • Options
    stacybrideflstacybridefl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha chicken dance! that is one dance I have to do or my fam would kill me! That and the electric slide. I mean they're cheesy and everything but my whole fam will get up and dance once they hear "it's electric..." lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards