Florida-West Coast
Options

Oil Spill Press Release

Hey WCF Knotties.  I meant to post this a couple days ago but I thought you'd be interested.  I can't sign up to be on the volunteer list because I'm in DC but at least I can donate some towels or something ?? :P

There is no imminent threat of oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill making landfall in Pinellas County.  The oil is 305 miles from the Clearwater coastline as of May 21, according to the State Emergency Response Team (SERT), a division of Florida Emergency Management. However, volunteers are needed to prepare in case there is a future landfall. If oil reaches the Pinellas coastline, it is expected to be highlyweathered in the form of tar balls or mats. Although weathered material is not as toxic as fresh oil, itcould still affect birds and other wildlife coming in contact with the material. If oil or tar balls wash up on area beaches, the materials would be removed by trained contractors, not volunteers.Local environmental organizations are seeking volunteers for coastal watches, preventative beach cleanups and bird monitoring. Also, local wildlife rehabilitation agencies are requesting trained assistance and donations. Volunteers are needed as follows:Coastline watchers: To report oil on the shoreline, call (866) 448-5816, or dial #DEP from a cell phone. To report oiled wildlife, call (866) 557-1401.Pre-oil landfall beach cleanup: Sign up online with Keep Pinellas Beautiful at www.pinvol.org for a Special Beach Cleanup. Volunteers who register will be contacted for a beach cleanup event, if necessary, prior to oil making landfall. For information, call (727) 533-0402.Local bird survey: Assist Audubon with counting local bird populations by using the eBird checklist at www.ebird.org or call the Clearwater Audubon Society at (727) 431-2856.Beach and wildlife monitoring: Volunteers can contact Tampa Bay Watch atwww.tampabaywatch.org or call (727) 867-8166.Office work or seabird rehabilitation: Volunteers are needed at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary for tasks such as feeding birds, which will free up trained staff for emergency work. Also, veterinarians and wildlife paraprofessionals are needed for an Emergency Call List. Visit www.seabirdsanctuary.com, or call (727) 391-2473.Aquarium work: Volunteers are needed to assist the Clearwater Marine Aquarium with daily duties.  Training classes and long-term weekly shifts are required. Volunteers will not necessarily treat oiled wildlife directly, as marine animal needs will be determined by federal wildlife officials and facility staff. Visit www.seewinter.com or call (727) 441-1790, ext. 230. Donations:Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary is requesting donations of items such as towels to treat oiled birds. Visit www.seabirdsanctuary.com, or call (727) 391-2473 for a current list of needed supplies.Clearwater Marine Aquarium has set up an Oil Spill Emergency Fund. Donations can be made by calling the aquarium at (727) 441-1790 or visiting www.seewinter.com. In terms of local preparations, the U.S. Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg is monitoring the situation and has specific plans in place for deflecting oil. After the 1993 Tampa Bay Oil Spill, the U.S. Coast Guard drafted a detailed Area Contingency Plan to prepare for a future oil spill in the area. The plan has been recently updated by local environmental officials and wildlife organizations. The plan identifiesenvironmentally sensitive areas in Pinellas County (such as mangroves, estuaries, bird rookeries and marshes) with specific strategies for protecting each area. Floating booms would be deployed to protect passes and inlets. However, booms are not efficient for beach areas because they are difficult to secure inopen water areas due to wave action. ###* MEDIA CONTACTS:Deepwater Horizon Operations:Unified Command Joint Information Center, U.S. Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg, (727) 820-3700 or(727) 820-3714. Visit www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.comResponse actions in Florida:Florida Department of Environmental Protection: www.dep.state.fl.us/deepwaterhorizonFlorida Oil Spill Information Line: (888) 337-3569Pinellas County volunteer organizations:Bill Sanders, Keep Pinellas Beautiful: (727) 533-0402, e-mail stoplitter@tampabay.rr.comMichelle Simoneau, Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary: (727) 391-2473, e-mailmichelle@seabirdsanctuary.comJeni Hatter, Clearwater Marine Aquarium: (727) 441-1790, ext. 228, e-mail jhatter@cmaquarium.orgPeter Clark, Tampa Bay Watch: (727) 867-8166, e-mail pclark@tampabaywatch.orgBarbara Walker, Clearwater Audubon Society: (727) 431-2856, e-mail barbibird@tampabay.rr.com
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Oil Spill Press Release

• Options
    edited December 2011

The whole situation is such a mess, it breaks my heart to think of the wildlife and beautiful coastline being tranished.  I am happy to donate and pass the word along!!  Thanks for posting =)

Also, on a similar note I heard that the price of gulf shrimp will be rising..since this is going to be on our menu it is something i have had to talk with my caterer about.  Just wanted to give you ladies a heads up on any seafood you might be using that might come from the gulf....ugh, this whole thing is crazy!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards